• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wilson mags in Kimber

Chaingun81

imported post

I bought a Wilson Combat 8 round magazine to use in my Kimber Custom II (Govt size, 5" bbl). It fits in and cycles fine, but the very bottom of the magazine (about 1/4" of the actual steel body not the plastic bottom) is not covered by the grip. The plastic bottom piece fits flush with the bottom of magazine well in front, but it sticks out on sides and in the back.

I was wondering if it really designed to be this way or I got a wrong magazine. Did anyone else try that combination? It works fine, but this 1/4" of shiny stainless steel sticking out of the black grip kinda looks like crap. I understand that the plastic floorplate will stick out past the bottom of the magazine well, but I want the steel body of the magazine itself covered by the grip. Any advice?

gb8106

imported post

I have 5 wilson combat mags that I use w my full size Kimber eclipse . In myopinion they are the best magazines to use, as far as functionability and performance. If you want to completely cover them up you will have to buy an extended mag well. These magazines are designed for just about all 1911 style pistols to my knowledge, and they work great in theKimber. I have not had a malfunction as of yetwith the Wilson Combat mags. I have been an LEO for 10 + years inTexasand try to purchace the bestperforming equipment on the market today. I am a big Kimber fan as well as a big fan of the Wilson Combat magazine. I think you made the right purchasewith the Wilsons

Chaingun81

imported post

gb8106 wrote:
I have 5 wilson combat mags that I use w my full size Kimber eclipse . In myopinion they are the best magazines to use, as far as functionability and performance. If you want to completely cover them up you will have to buy an extended mag well. These magazines are designed for just about all 1911 style pistols to my knowledge, and they work great in theKimber. I have not had a malfunction as of yetwith the Wilson Combat mags. I have been an LEO for 10 + years inTexasand try to purchace the bestperforming equipment on the market today. I am a big Kimber fan as well as a big fan of the Wilson Combat magazine. I think you made the right purchasewith the Wilsons

Thanks everyone!

Do you know if 7 rounder from Wilson will have the same problem? Do you know if there is any magazine sleeve / grip extension which can be used instead of extended magazine well? Kind of like a sleeve for XD's 16 rounder to fit in subcompact frame?

gb8106

imported post

The only difference between the 7 and 8 round mags should b the internal spring, therefore switching to a 7 round mags prob wont solve your particular prob. As far as a sleeve or other item to cover up other than the mag well, I really havn't seen anything like that on the market as of yet for the 1911. Unless you want to go to the trouble of having the magazine coated in a black duracoat or other similar type product to cover up the silver part of the magazine. However I dont know how well it would hold up to normal wear and tear of a magazine.

eyesopened

imported post

If I remember correctly Wilson actually uses a different magazine body, not just a different spring. Something about it promoting reliability of feeding. My Springfield EMP's stock magazine sticks out in the back too. It's no big deal...

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I use Wilson Combat 8rd 47D mags in my Tactical Custom II. They are awesome! My model has an extended magwell so the extra length on the mag is really an advantage. What you have is normal. I tried one of my wilson mags in another of my 1911s and it did stick out a bit. If it's a big deal for you the I'd either learn to deal with it, take a sharpie to it, or spray paint the mag body. I'd try the sharpie before the paint imo.

If you want to spend a little more money and get an upgrade that I think is really worth it then try this.

Found here

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=613493

My buddy had one on his Springfield and he loved how easy it was to put on. There are other way to get an extended magwell on your gun but they are more expensive and require much more work.