• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What's your best "is that a real gun" comment?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

gollbladder13 wrote:
Just got back from Sam's. One of the workers said, "Somebody's enjoying the WI open carry law!"
I like that. Although they could have also truthfully said "Somebody's suffering the effects of Wisconsin's concealed carry law."

Athena

imported post

I try in the nicest way possible to make the other person seem like the weird one. Example:

Random dude: Is that a real gun? or Why do you carry one of those around?

Me: You mean you don't carry?

At this point I will gladly take as much time as the other person wants to fill them in on the legality, rationale, etc behind open carry. I always carry a few copies of the relevant statutes/case laws with me and keep a few extras stashed in the car.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Athena wrote:
I try in the nicest way possible to make the other person seem like the weird one. Example:

At this point I will gladly take as much time as the other person wants to fill them in on the legality, rationale, etc behind open carry. I always carry a few copies of the relevant statutes/case laws with me and keep a few extras stashed in the car.
Do you have copies of the WI Open Carry pamphlet? I still have a some from the La Crosse picnic.

Athena

imported post

I don't have any of the pamphlets. I cp'ed the more interesting/important statutes into a word doc. I keep a copy of all of the extended laws just in case there is a question of the exact wording of specific laws with one of Madison's finest.

I also carry a copy of the public records map of exactly where the property lines are for a school that is rather close to me.
http://accessdane.co.dane.wi.us/html/parcelsearch.asp

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

That's a handy website. My plan is to visit the couple of nearby schools with my GPS to measure 1000'. But since neither school is that close to anywhere I normally go on foot, it's not been a high priority.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

That (and variations of it) are very effective approaches.

The "assumptive" approach.

If someone says "I didn't know that was legal" and you say surprised "really? it was ALL over the news for weeks back in the spring" thats very soothing for people to know vs. saying "yeah, not many people know about it" which tends to evoke more suspicion.