• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jay's anti-open carry.

Michigan Mongrell

imported post

Dear Jay's Sporting Goods:

Because of your anti-open carry policy I will not be shopping in your stores. I try tofrequent stores that respect my rights and allow the lawful carry of a firearm. Most major corporations follow state law in regards to firearm carry in their stores.

Please reconsider your policy on open carry.

Sincerely,

PS I have shopped at jays when he sold from his garage.
So you lost a long time customer who spent money in your store for many years.

Well I am done spending my money there and I used to spend a ton there.
Sent to both

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Michigan Mongrell wrote:
Dear Jay's Sporting Goods:

Because of your anti-open carry policy I will not be shopping in your stores. I try tofrequent stores that respect my rights and allow the lawful carry of a firearm. Most major corporations follow state law in regards to firearm carry in their stores.

Please reconsider your policy on open carry.

Sincerely,

PS I have shopped at jays when he sold from his garage.
So you lost a long time customer who spent money in your store for many years.

Well I am done spending my money there and I used to spend a ton there.
Sent to both

You have a PM...

Jay's is cool, you can still shop there!

Michigan Mongrell

imported post

Sure thing will do.
BTW TheSzerdi is a very good friend and pointed me here years back.

I can take reading only a few at a time here, some of the storys of what people have gone threw really gets me bent out of shape.
Not really the place to go on with a rant but.
If i failed to know my job as poorly as some officers do I would expect to be fired.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Received this today, Jay's is okay with OC. Thanks for all your emails, there is power in numbers.

Mr. Jeffs,

I apologize for the delay in response. We have had several key people on vacation at different times and have been unable to discuss your concerns collectively. However, I wanted to give you an update and promise to follow-up with our corporate policy regarding open carry in the very near future.

Until that time please pass along to your membership that Jay's Sporting Goods welcomes open carry and respects the 2nd Amendment rights of all our customers. With that said, we are also responsible for providing a safe shopping environment and would simply ask that if in the event an open-carry customer needs to unholster their firearm in-store for shopping purposes, that it be unloaded and checked at the front before fitting new holsters, installing sights, getting appraisals, etc...

Again, we will be developing a more formal corporate policy at our earliest opportunity at which time I will notify you and share with our management team in an effort to avoid any future misunderstandings.

Thank you for the information and your patience.

Best Regards,

Chad Stearns
Jay's Sporting Goods, Inc.
(989) 386-3475 Ext. 523
http://www.JaysSportingGoods.com

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Venator wrote:
Received this today, Jay's is okay with OC.  Thanks for all your emails, there is power in numbers.

Mr. Jeffs,

I apologize for the delay in response.  We have had several key people on vacation at different times and have been unable to discuss your concerns collectively.  However, I wanted to give you an update and promise to follow-up with our corporate policy regarding open carry in the very near future.

Until that time please pass along to your membership that Jay's Sporting Goods welcomes open carry and respects the 2nd Amendment rights of all our customers.  With that said, we are also responsible for providing a safe shopping environment and would simply ask that if in the event an open-carry customer needs to unholster their firearm in-store for shopping purposes, that it be unloaded and checked at the front before fitting new holsters, installing sights, getting appraisals, etc...

Again, we will be developing a more formal corporate policy at our earliest opportunity at which time I will notify you and share with our management team in an effort to avoid any future misunderstandings.

Thank you for the information and your patience.

Best Regards,

Chad Stearns
(989) 386-3475 Ext. 523
http://www.JaysSportingGoods.com

I had a feeling this was the notion all along. However, their signage didn't make this explicitly clear.

Good on them for clarifying.

Venator

imported post

UPDATE:

Recieved this from Jay's. OC OK.

Mr. Jeffs,

I wanted to follow-up with you to let you know we have formalized our policy regarding open carry. Much like my previous email, Jay's welcomes both concealed and open carry in our stores. We do ask that in the event of needing to reveal or unholster a firearm for shopping purposes, it be unloaded outside and checked at the front to ensure a safe shopping environment.

We are in the process of modifying our in-store signage to include open carry and have spent considerable time familiarizing and training our staff on this policy.

I appreciate your input and would offer you or any of your members to contact me personally with questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Chad Stearns
(989) 386-3475 Ext. 523
[url]www.JaysSportingGoods.com[/url]

ghostrider

imported post

Venator wrote:
UPDATE:

Recieved this from Jay's. OC OK.

Mr. Jeffs,

I wanted to follow-up with you to let you know we have formalized our policy regarding open carry. Much like my previous email, Jay's welcomes both concealed and open carry in our stores. We do ask that in the event of needing to reveal or unholster a firearm for shopping purposes, it be unloaded outside and checked at the front to ensure a safe shopping environment.

We are in the process of modifying our in-store signage to include open carry and have spent considerable time familiarizing and training our staff on this policy.

I appreciate your input and would offer you or any of your members to contact me personally with questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Chad Stearns
(989) 386-3475 Ext. 523
[url]http://www.JaysSportingGoods.com[/url]

That's a commendable thing for an owner to respond like that. I realize that he was under a lot of pressure from people both here and from MGO, but I still like his style.

Venator

imported post

I was at Jay's this weekend andJays has a new sign up with no mention of OC. It reads

Conceal Carry Customer
Jay's welcomes conceal carry.
However if you are here for accessories it must be checked in ....yatta yatta.

So I asked several employees about OC and they said it was fine as long as it stayed in the holster. What was strange was one of the employees stated that if they found out you were carrying concealed they must have you unload the weapon.

WTF:banghead: So if I OC it can be loaded, but if I tell them I'm concealing or if they should see it printing they make you unload it. Not sure what that does. I don't know what they would do if they should see it printing ask you to unload and you say "Oh...I'll just OC it then, because an unloaded handgun is just an expensive paper-weight."

They certainly don't announce that OC is welcome. In fact it's misleading as the sign implies that only Conceal carry is welcome. Sneaky. I'm not really happy about their misleading sign, but OC is not banned.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Venator wrote:
I was at Jay's this weekend andJays has a new sign up with no mention of OC. It reads

Conceal Carry Customer
Jay's welcomes conceal carry.
However if you are here for accessories it must be checked in ....yatta yatta.

So I asked several employees about OC and they said it was fine as long as it stayed in the holster. What was strange was one of the employees stated that if they found out you were carrying concealed they must have you unload the weapon.

WTF:banghead: So if I OC it can be loaded, but if I tell them I'm concealing or if they should see it printing they make you unload it. Not sure what that does. I don't know what they would do if they should see it printing ask you to unload and you say "Oh...I'll just OC it then, because an unloaded handgun is just an expensive paper-weight."

They certainly don't announce that OC is welcome. In fact it's misleading as the sign implies that only Conceal carry is welcome. Sneaky. I'm not really happy about their misleading sign, but OC is not banned.
It seems WRONG on so many points. The handling of a firearm in the store makes for a MUCH MORE DANGEROUS SITUATION! Have they not thought just that one small FACT through???