• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nation Wide Carry Law not yet dead yet?

freak21

imported post

I used the option from NRA to contact OR Gov and congresman about the bill that failed to pass for nation wide conceled carry. Here wasDavid Wu'sreply to me.

Thank you for contacting me regarding your support for efforts to pass legislation to require states to provide reciprocity for concealed weapons permits. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

There have been several legislative attempts to require state reciprocity for concealed weapons permits. In the Senate, Senator John Thune (SD) offered an amendment to the Department of Defense Appropriations Bill for Fiscal Year 2010 that would require state reciprocity. However, the Senate voted on that amendment on July 22, 2009 and it failed.

In the House there is pending legislation that addresses this matter. H.R. 197, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009, would amend the federal criminal code to establish a national standard for the carrying of concealed firearms by non-residents. Further, the bill would authorize a person who has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm in one state and who is not prohibited from carrying a firearm under federal law to carry a concealed firearm in another state in accordance with the restrictions of that state or as specified under this Act. This bill has been referred to the House Judiciary Committee, and there is a companion bill in the Senate that is also awaiting consideration in the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Opponents of this measure argue that states have the right to regulate the carrying of a weapon, and this legislation would threaten states' rights. However, supporters of this legislation, such as you, believe that without reciprocity, the right to carry a concealed weapon is limited. As a hunter myself, I understand the challenges of crossing state borders with the correct and necessary paperwork. On the other hand, I also support states' rights concerning weapons regulation. I will keep your views in mind as Congress continues to debate this matter.

Once again, thank you for writing to me about this important issue. If you would like to receive regular email updates from me, please go to my website at http://www.house.gov/wu to sign up. If I can be of additional assistance, please call my Oregon office at 503-326-2901 or 800-422-4003.

With warm regards,

David Wu

Member of Congress

PT111

imported post

H.R. 197 is a much better bill as it covers every state. However it screws VT who does not issue permits.

It has 146 cosponsors in the House so may possibly get some action.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-197

SEC. 2. NATIONAL STANDARD FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED FIREARMS BY NONRESIDENTS.

(a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:

‘Sec. 926D. National standard for the carrying of certain concealed firearms by nonresidents

‘(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued by a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm (other than a machinegun or destructive device) may carry in another State a concealed firearm (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

‘(b)(1) If such other State issues licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms, the person may carry a concealed firearm in the State under the same restrictions which apply to the carrying of a concealed firearm by a person to whom the State has issued such a license or permit.

‘(2) If such other State does not issue licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms, the person may not, in the State, carry a concealed firearm in a police station, in a public detention facility, in a courthouse, in a public polling place, at a meeting of a State, county, or municipal governing body, in a school, at a professional or school athletic event not related to firearms, in a portion of an establishment licensed by the State to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, or inside the sterile or passenger area of an airport, except to the extent expressly permitted by State law.’.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for such chapter is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:

926D. National standard for the carrying of certain concealed firearms by nonresidents.’.

Autonym

imported post

Hmm... that's awkward for VT. You don't need a license to carry in VT, so.. there's nothing to reciprocate! Talk about irony.

I'd guess maybe you could get an out-of-state with a neighboring state (similar to OR) and then that could be reciprocated?

Autonym

imported post

Oh, also - both OR Senators voted Nay on that bill - major bummer! I know who I'm not voting for next time!

Decoligny

imported post

Autonym wrote:
Hmm... that's awkward for VT. You don't need a license to carry in VT, so.. there's nothing to reciprocate! Talk about irony.

I'd guess maybe you could get an out-of-state with a neighboring state (similar to OR) and then that could be reciprocated?

This might be the incentive that VT needs to initiate an Alaska type of "permit". Alaska does not require a permit to carry open or concealed. They do however, offer a permit for anyone who can legally possess a firearm. They charge a minimal fee to cover the cost of the background check and the production cost of the license itself, but that is it. Less than $100.00.

The permit is not required to carry concealed in Alaska, but allows for reciprocity issues.