• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trip through CA

glock23

imported post

I planning to drive to vegas and will be going through CA. Should I leave my 13rd mags at home along with my hollow points?I will put my pistol in a locked case and bulltes seperate bag and no loaded mags.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

glock23 wrote:
I planning to drive to vegas and will be going through CA. Should I leave my 13rd mags at home along with my hollow points?I will put my pistol in a locked case and bulltes seperate bag and no loaded mags.
Mags over 10-rd capacity are illegal to import, so leave them at home or disassemble them into a "parts kit" while in CA. They're also illegal to "manufacture", so don't assemble them until you leave the state.

Hollow points are legal, so don't worry about those. I think the only rounds prohibited are "armor piercing" rounds, tracer rounds, and explosive rounds.

A locked case is the safest way to transport, but not the only way. You can open carry, but be careful of where/how you carry. http://www.californiaopencarry.org/ has lots of resources on the laws we have to deal with here.

There's no requirement to separate your ammo, except that in incorporated areas, you cannot have a loaded firearm. This means you can't have an unexpended round "in a firing position" or in a magazine attached to the firearm in a way that allows loading. Feel free to have the unloaded firearm and full mags right next to each other.

For traveling through, I recommend simply locking your unloaded gun and ammo in a case and having it accessible from the driver seat. This case can be any fully-enclosing, "secure" container, except that container cannot be your glove box or console (though your secure container can be put in these places once locked).