• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Idaho prison escapees no match against a mom with a .22

Hiredgun30

imported post

COTTONWOOD -- The Idaho County Sheriff's Office had honored a Cottonwood woman with a certificate of achievement saying she showed true courage in the face of danger for fending off two prison escapees who tried to break into her home.

Cassidy Lockett was home with her young children late last month when she says two men tried to break into her home. She hid the children behind the couch, grabbed a .22-caliber semiautomatic pistol and aimed it at a man who was already halfway through a window, climbing into her home.

Lockett says she pointed the gun at him and told him to get out or she'd shoot. She says he complied, and left along with another man who was trying to get through the locked front door.

The sheriff's department says the two were Richard Nieves and Ben Westley Perez, who are both facing escape, burglary and other charges.

ocgso

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
The lady did a wonderful job considering she wasn't aware that scum like those two are craven cowards.

My hat's off to her.

Lucky they broke into her house.....Most folks I know use the business end of their firearm to do the talking when someone starts climbing through windows.

M198

imported post

+1 for her brave defense of herself and her children. -1 for using a .22. .22's will hurt someone a lot. When you hurt someone, they hurt you back, a lot.

ocgso

imported post

M198 wrote:
+1 for her brave defense of herself and her children. -1 for using a .22. .22's will hurt someone a lot. When you hurt someone, they hurt you back, a lot.

Better to own, carry, and use a 22 that you can shoot well than to have a 45 acp that you cannot control, cannot hit the broad side of a barn with, and don't ever keep handy because you don't like it.

I agree that a 22 is more likely to hurt them and allow them to come at you with a civil suit. However, the intent is to stop them from hurting you and your family, and her 22 worked for that. It may not be the best weapon to use, but it did the job.

protector84

imported post

I disagree with a lot of the anti-.22 caliber rhetoric I've read. I would agree that using a .22 pistol for self-defense isn't the best possible gun you could use but it certainly isn't useless either. Most people do not want to get shot and people who do get shot may end up dying. A .22 pistol will still put a hole in a person and that hole could still kill them especially if you put a whole lot of .22 holes in them. A properly placed .22 round in a vital organ such as the heart will stop an attacker. Emptying a magazine of .22 rounds in the center of mass is very likely to stop the attacker as well. Again, it is not the best weapon for self defense as it doesn't have the stopping power that higher calibers do but it is not useless. It is the bad guy's plan to victimize you, not end up getting shot (by anything).

ocgso

imported post

protector84 wrote:
I disagree with a lot of the anti-.22 caliber rhetoric I've read. I would agree that using a .22 pistol for self-defense isn't the best possible gun you could use but it certainly isn't useless either. Most people do not want to get shot and people who do get shot may end up dying. A .22 pistol will still put a hole in a person and that hole could still kill them especially if you put a whole lot of .22 holes in them. A properly placed .22 round in a vital organ such as the heart will stop an attacker. Emptying a magazine of .22 rounds in the center of mass is very likely to stop the attacker as well. Again, it is not the best weapon for self defense as it doesn't have the stopping power that higher calibers do but it is not useless. It is the bad guy's plan to victimize you, not end up getting shot (by anything).
+1 to that.