• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No more Cabela's for me

nevinsb

imported post

I also have several reasons why I stopped shopping at Cabelas.

A - Open carry only with a unloaded firearm

B - I placed a order for 9mm ammo. The store canceled my backorder because they were unable to obtain it. When I went into the store the next day, the same S&B FMJ ammo I ordered was sitting on the shelf.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Add that cabela's takes public money to build their stores to the list of reasons I prefer gander mountain.
The national retailer of outdoor gear, which received nearly $10 million from the county and state as incentives to build in Richfield[/b] back in 2005

Gander Mountain on the other hand does not accept public money to build stores:

http://www.jsonline.com/business/29380369.html
Gander Mountain is used to competing against rival outdoors retailer Cabela's. But one thing it won't compete for is government handouts.

When Gander Mountain opens a new store in Waukesha on Aug. 27, it will do so without the help of taxpayers.

"We have publicly stated we don't accept it," said Mark Baker, chief executive officer for the St. Paul-based outdoor recreation chain.

The new Gander store, at 2440 E. Moreland Blvd., will replace an older one just to the east, on W. Blue Mound Road in Brookfield, which closed Saturday.

At 65,000 square feet, the Waukesha store is one of the new breed of Gander stores, twice as big as the older ones and better able to compete with the giant stores that Cabela's has been opening around the Midwest and elsewhere. About half of Gander's 108 stores are now large format stores, including the ones in Wausau and Green Bay. Gander operates 14 stores in Wisconsin.

Cabela's, based in Sidney, Neb., generates some controversy whenever it opens a new superstore, because of its corporate strategy of demanding millions in incentives from local governments. Cabela's got $4 million from Washington County for the 165,000-square-foot store it opened in Richfield last year.

Gander has taken an opposite tack and is speaking out against subsidies.

"We've met with a number of governors in other states and said it is not the role of retail to take public money," Baker said. "It can't be a long-term solution."
Not to mention Gander Mountain supports OC 100%

If you are in the Waukesha or Franklin store ask for the manager Steve and thank him for supporting open carry! If he's not it, just leave a note for him. He's covering both stores these days.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was under the impression that Cabelas has the "follow state law" policy. It seems to be confirmed by this thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=24701&forum_id=26&highlight=cabelas+policy

I just got this in an e-mail concerning concerning [highlight= #ffff88]Cabelas[/highlight] corporate [highlight= #88ffff]policy[/highlight] on firearms. ENJOY!!

Mike,
Here’s the statement:

Customer Open-Carry and Concealed-Carry of Pistols and Revolvers in Cabela’s Retail Stores

Cabela’s company policies are intended to be aligned with applicable federal, state and local laws. Accordingly, each store location has adopted policies to comply with the laws governing the state, county and city in which the store is located.

With respect to the issue of open-carry and concealed-carry of firearms by customers – it is Cabela’s general [highlight= #88ffff]policy[/highlight] to allow customers to carry a pistol or revolver within Cabela’s stores if the customer is permitted to do so in accordance with applicable law; provided such firearm remains safely holstered while the customer is on Cabela’s property, and the activities of the customer do not raise safety concerns or otherwise interfere with Cabela’s business activities.

If a customer brings a firearm on Cabela’s property for purposes of repair, appraisal, evaluation, sale or any other purpose that will require the customer or someone else to handle the firearm or remove the firearm from a holster, the firearm must be checked in with store personnel, safely unloaded and fitted with a trigger lock.

Cabela’s supports responsible gun ownership and is committed to providing a safe family shopping environment. Accordingly, Cabela’s reserves the right to implement firearm safety procedures within its stores as Cabela’s deems appropriate.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Joe Arterburn
Corporate Communications Manager
Cabela's Inc.
One Cabela Drive
Sidney, NE 69160

joe.arterburn@[highlight= #ffff88]cabelas[/highlight].com
308-255-1204

nevinsb

imported post

I brought that same note to one of the store managers attention, and they indeed said that the corporate policy does not restrict them from implementing their own policies. "It scares away customers"

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nevinsb wrote:
I brought that same note to one of the store managers attention, and they indeed said that the corporate policy does not restrict them from implementing their own policies. "It scares away customers"

I certainly wouldn't leave it at that. I'd send this guy and email. I didn't read anywhere that they are allowed to make their own policy, only that their policy should comply with state law in the various store locations.

Another excerpt from the thread:
Yes, I sent that statement when it was clear we were not communicating the policy accurately throughout the entire company. We are taking additional steps to communicate it companywide so there are no misunderstandings.
Thanks for contacting us. And, sure, spread the word. And let me know if anything else pops up.

Sincerely,
Joe

Joe Arterburn
Corporate Communications Manager
Cabela's Inc.
One Cabela Drive
Sidney, NE 69160
joe.arterburn@cabelas.com

nevinsb

imported post

I'll leave that battle for someone else. Gander Mountain is a LOT closer and I'm still too mad at them to give them another chance, especially with the construction on the exit.

AaronS

imported post

nevinsb wrote:
I'll leave that battle for someone else. Gander Mountain is a LOT closer and I'm still too mad at them to give them another chance, especially with the construction on the exit.
Do you have the name of the person that told you you had to have your carry gun unloaded? I will make sure he is talked to about this.

WIG19

imported post

Just dropped in & surprised to see this still an issue, although it appears dependent upon the individual store. (Just found I still had an email from Linda Webb at their corporate from back in 2007 saying same thing basically, "in accordance with whatever state law.")

I can't recall an issue with the Cabela's in PdC ever, other than they're very proud of some of their stuff at the cash register, as are many such chain stores. The GM in Onalaska has never been a problem. I do find GM tends to cater more locally to an area in terms of things like what fishing equip/lures are available based on what the target species is, so it gives the sense that someone with local knowledge is at least thinking about it.

I VERY MUCH appreciate GM's firm stance on no public money; that alone is a scale-tipper for me.

Frankly, already having most of what I need camping-wise, I get my tackle from a local brick & mortar bait shop that makes the best swim-jigs on the planet. And I get my guns & ammo from a brick & mortar gunshop that is fair and bows to no one in price or being able to get whatever. Chain stores come & go; I want those local shops there too, so I patronize them. Otherwise we'll wake up someday & they'll be gone because there was no incentive for Son to take over or buy into Dad's 40-year business - and the store front is now another short-lived curio store or hair boutique...

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I am hoping to make a trip to Milwaukee today, I will make a stop at cabela's in Richfield and O-C into the store.
I'll keep a copy of the letter with me in case anyone gives me any crap, If I do get some harassment, I will record every persons name, the date, and time of the incidentthenforwardmy complaints to corporate just to get the store manager put in line with corporate regulations.

Anyone else in the area? maybe we could have a small group shopping together?

scorpio_vette

imported post

did anything ever happen regarding this subject???

based on yesterdays event i'm going to say no. for some reason i was under the impression that cabelas doesn't allow open carry. which really sucks because while they are nearly 1hour away from me, we like going there to wander around, do some shopping, and our little 1year old LOVES the aquarium. we stay in the little aquarium section for a long time and go back several times and he goes crazy every time he sees all the fishies.

last night while picking up my wifes news handgun, i started making conversation with the person carrying the gun out for us. I asked why they don't allow open carry, to which the lady replied: "we do allow open carry. i just can't be loaded". I told her that i don't understand how that would make a difference, since a person that meant harm would most likely not open carry, and how just because somebody sees that it's unloaded, doesn't mean that it can't be loaded in a matter of seconds.

she just kinda shrugged her shoulder handed us our handgun (we were already outside at this point) and wished us a nice evening.

my wife has been with me when we purchased 2 other firearms there, and every time she asks me why they carry it out and what the logic behind it was. so i just said that perhaps it's so a person couldn't load it on the way out of the store and start shooting. to which my wife replied: "well that's just stupid. because the person could just wait until you hand it to them outside, load it and walk right back in."

DUH...............

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A few weekends ago I bought a Judge Public Defender and a Marlin Papoose from Cabela's in Richfield. This was during the NRA 10% off weekend and the price difference between Gander Mountain and Cabelas on the Judge was a big $148. So, I bought from Cabela's. Now, while I was there I spoke with two people about lawful open carry in the store. Jim (don't remember last name) was the guy who did all the paperwork on my guns and took them to the gun counter for payment. Jim told me anyone could open carry until a MANAGER told them they couldn't. Jim said that only the managers can tell people they cannot open carry. I mentioned to Jim that Cabela's policy was to allow open carry with no restrictions, just follow state law. He seemed to be unaware of that. So....at the gun payment counter I spoke with Martha Herbst and asked her the exact same question. Martha said open carry was allowed BUT that they asked a round wasn't chambered in the gun. I asked her if that meant we HAD to keep the firearm unloaded or?? Martha said that the employees there could NOT MAKE us unload the firearm but that is what they asked of me if and when I carried in their store. She then asked me WHY I would WANT to open carry? I maintained my composure and told her because it is a right protected by both the state constitution and the U.S. Constitution and that if we do NOT exercise the right then it isn't a right at all. She then proceeded to tell me that "There are a lot of crazies out there and they can just walk up and take your gun from you". I pointed to my holster and told her that that was highly unlikely for several reasons: 1) I keep my firearm in a Serpa retention holster and 2) I AM AWARE OF MY SURROUNDINGS AT ALL TIMES.

I told Martha that when I returned to pick up my guns I was going to open carry in the store. I ALMOST...ALMOST asked her why in the world she is working in the firearms department of one of the biggest chains in the U.S. that SELLS FIREARMS BY THE THOUSANDS WEEKLY if she doesn't believe in the 2nd Amendment and the State Constitution? I didn't want to start a debate but it really irked me that a company that sells firearms doesn't want their customers to actually exercise the right to keep and bear said firearm that was perhaps purchased from that very same store. Wow!

As for Gander Mountain here in Kenosha, this past January I was there (less than a mile from my house) and I spoke with an assistant manager about open carry. I didn't get his name but he told me that I could as long as the gun wasn't loaded. I asked him what good is an unloaded gun? I haven't been back to Gander Mountain since but supposedly they all have the new signs up which covers it correctly. The G.M. assistant manager told me that by me wearing my gun in the store it will scare women and kids. Give me a break!

Another thing I have experienced at the G.M. here in Kenosha is that the people working in the firearms section have no social skills when dealing with people. I have tried to buy a firearm there four or five times and every single time the employees just up and leave the counter with me and several other people standing there waiting for them to come back. I wrote G.M. a few weeks ago about the open carry issue I had here in Kenosha and about their terrible customer support in the firearms department but haven't heard back.

So to me both stores have good and bad. I would much rather drive a mile to G.M. than drive 125 miles (round trip) to Cabela's but the difference in price is amazingly high with Cabela's having the best selection and best prices when it comes to hand guns.

Bottom line is both store chains need some serious training time on the right to keep and bear arms and open carry in the 43 states that have it.

hardballer

imported post

I would have to agree with Gander's "no social skills" problem. Bad, bad PR.

As for Cabela's, I haven't been back. Won't spend a dime there. The 2A means everything to me and to be slapped in the face by a premier gun dealer like Cabela's is more than I am willing to take.

I will spend more for a given item at another venue rather than take it on the chin from a supposed friend. Cabela's is in bed with progressive liberals if they continue to embrace this foolish policy and it will only mean less to their bottom liine.

My money gets spent locally or at Gander Mountian for now.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I buy my most of my guns, from a friend that has an FFL, he sells me guns for like $ 30.00 above cost, plus a 20.00 transfer fee. His house is OC friendly so, I will continue giving my money to the little guy...screw the big box stores and their F'd up policies. I hate being hassled.