• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Email I just got from Washington State Chief Justice

kwiebe

imported post

Obviously, the most striking aspect of this is that we now have on record the Chief Justice of the WA SC stating that he does not follow the law partially due to staff comfort level.

We. Are. Doomed.

Aaron1124

imported post

I forwarded his email to a couple of different Washington State legislatures, so I'm awaiting a response to see if what he says falls within the law or not.

Aaron1124

imported post

The verdict is in.....

The Legislature exempts the Washington State Supreme Court.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[font="Arial, sans-serif"]Dear Aaron, Thank you for your inquiry. In response to your email, Rep. Upthegrove asked me to work with policy staff of the House Judiciary Committee to answer your question. It appears that the lock box requirement does not apply to the Supreme Court. The law is silent on courts that are not governed by a "local legislative authority." It would apply to counties (superior and district courts) and cities (municipal courts). The law does not distinguish between the Supreme Court and other locations "used in connection with court proceedings." Therefore, it would still be illegal to bring a weapon to the Supreme Court. I hope this is the information you need. Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance. Sincerely, _________________________________________ Rachel Smith Legislative Assistant to Rep. Dave Upthegrove Phone: (360) 786-7868 Webpage: http://hdc.leg.wa.gov/members/upthegrove/index.asp Legislative Hotline: 1-800-562-6000 [/font]

Trigger Dr

imported post

kwiebe wrote:
Obviously, the most striking aspect of this is that we now have on record the Chief Justice of the WA SC stating that he does not follow the law partially due to staff comfort level.

We. Are. Doomed.
No, the ChiefJustice is not the legislative authority. Of the three branches of government (Legislative, Judicial, Executive) he is in the JUDICIAL branch, and as such has no legislative authority.

kwiebe

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
kwiebe wrote:

We. Are. Doomed.
No, the ChiefJustice is not the legislative authority. Of the three branches of government (Legislative, Judicial, Executive) he is in the JUDICIAL branch, and as such has no legislative authority.
True, but why even go where he did then? My problem is the window into officials' thoughts we keep getting. The Bauer guy in Kitsap, for example. It's just wrong. The common theme is, "I don't care what the law says, I'm going to apply my own beliefs."

I just bristle whenever I get an inkling that a public official is doing this, and it happens all the time now, at all levels of government. No respect for the law, only what the official thinks is "fair" or "practical".

Thundar

imported post

Is Olympia a pro gun city? If it is, you could take up a collection and donate some lockboxes to the city for the purpose of the local legislative authority to deliver them to the supreme court of Washington.

Hard for the Chief Justice to say the local legislative authority did not deliver lockboxes when they did deliver lockboxes.

joeroket

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Is Olympia a pro gun city? If it is, you could take up a collection and donate some lockboxes to the city for the purpose of the local legislative authority to deliver them to the supreme court of Washington.

Hard for the Chief Justice to say the local legislative authority did not deliver lockboxes when they did deliver lockboxes.
The only problem with this thought is that Olympia is not the legislative authority over our Supreme Court. It is the state legislature, I used it correctly Deanf, that is the local authority

deanf

imported post

It is the state legislature, I used it correctly Deanf, that is the local authority

Huh?

The Washington State Legislature is made up of two bodies: the State Senate and the State House of Representatives. The elected people who serve in those bodies are called Legislators.

Local legislative authorities are things such as city councils and county councils. They are not called legislatures. The elected people who serve in them are called councilmembers.

joeroket

imported post

deanf wrote:
It is the state legislature, I used it correctly Deanf, that is the local authority

Huh?

The Washington State Legislature is made up of two bodies: the State Senate and the State House of Representatives. The elected people who serve in those bodies are called Legislators.

Local legislative authorities are things such as city councils and county councils. They are not called legislatures. The elected people who serve in them are called councilmembers.
That's why I didn't say they were the local legislative authority. I said they were the legislative authority over the Supreme Court. They are far from being a local legislative authority.

deanf

imported post

My comments were directed at who I originally quoted. He said he contacted a couple of different Washington State legislatures.

Well, there's only one.

joeroket

imported post

Bader wrote:
Can't believe y'all are arguing over something so minor.

I guess the spelling police are strong within us.

Gotcha Dean. My mistake.

Bader we are not arguing over spelling. We are discussing the proper usage of a term.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

the testosterone is high on a hot day

grammar-police.png

Thundar

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Thundar wrote:

The only problem with this thought is that Olympia is not the legislative authority over our Supreme Court. It is the state legislature, I used it correctly Deanf, that is the local authority
The law does not indicate authority over the supreme court, only local legislative authority.

TriCityOC

imported post

Can the OP not simply e-mail back and ask the Chief Justice who he feels is the local legislative authority with the responsability to provide the lockboxes?