• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

legal seminar on Virginia self-defense laws near Dulles

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

I plan on going...

Ed

- - -

http://tinyurl.com/kky6ph

I am holding a legal seminar on Virginia self-defense laws near Dulles on Saturday, August 22 from 10am - 1pm. I am also discounting the seminar. $65 for VCDL members, $75 for everyone else.

I cover quite a bit in three hours:

"For the cost of 200 rounds of .45 ACP (if you can find it) you will get a much deeper understanding of self-defense in the Commonwealth of Virginia from an attorney. Plenty of shooters are willing to invest in their shooting skills but not many invest in their understanding of the legal boundaries of self-defense.

The seminar covers the following topics:

Purchase and possession of arms in the Commonwealth of Virginia
General legal guidelines for the use of force
Justification versus Excuse
Self-defense
Virginia's lack of a "castle doctrine" - and why it (mostly) doesn't matter
Defense of Others
Defense of Property
What is "open carry" and what is "concealed carry" in Virginia? Not quite what you think.
Interacting with Law Enforcement Officers
Travelling armed: planes, trains, and automobiles
What to do when in other jurisdictions: a practical "travelling" mode for reciprocal states

The travelling part is not just one subject; it is covered throughout the brief so that students have an idea how to deal with the laws governing self-defense in other states. The important part is knowing how they generally differ from Virginia (and they differ a lot)."

A legal seminar is not a concealed handgun course - it is a legal class on the statutes and case law governing the open or concealed carry of a handgun. This DOES NOT meet the Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP) requirements. Rather, this is intended for people who already have a CHP but are not versed in the law. If you received your CHP after a basic concealed handgun course with no discussion of the legal implications of using a handgun in self-defense, this is for you. Disclaimer: The information provided in the seminar is not intended as individualized legal advice. I am not your lawyer. You are not my client. Participation in this seminar is expressly intended NOT to create an attorney-client relationship. Students will sign a waiver and agree to hold harmless Defensive Force Instructors, LLC before class starts.

My resume: I am a former Special Forces soldier, International Defensive Pistol Association Master-Class competitor, and an attorney in Virginia. I teach NRA certified handgun courses and specialized concealed carry courses on the side.

Please direct all email traffic to defensivehandgun@gmail.com

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Ed;

This looks interesting. I attended a seminar hosted by one of our members (a lawyer), Saturday a week ago in Linden but it's always good to get as much info on this topic as you can. Do you know if you can OC in the Marriott?

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Ed;

This looks interesting. I attended a seminar hosted by one of our members (a lawyer), Saturday a week ago in Linden but it's always good to get as much info on this topic as you can. Do you know if you can OC in the Marriott?

I don't know.. but I guess I will find out that day when I walk in :)

(I too have heard "user" talk to a gun class about legal issues)