• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CWP required to carry openly while hunting.

VantuckyKain

imported post

Hey guys just found this site and thought I would bring my issue to your attention.

Explanation of complaint:
My Complaint is with the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife. They recently made a change in the hunting regulations. They are now requiring a concealed pistol license (CPL) to carry a pistol for personal protection while hunting during an archery or muzzleloader season. Their reasoning is that somehow CPL holders are more law abiding citizens and somehow less likely to use their modern firearm to take game during archery and muzzleloader season. My complaint is that this requirement is in violation of my rights as stated in the Washington State constitution:

SECTION 24 "RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men."

A citizen is not required to have a CPL to carry openly and according to RCW 9.41.060 a citizen is not required to have a CPL while engaging in a legal outdoor activity and carrying concealed. My complaint is that the WDFW has created this rule not only in contradiction to the US and State constitutions and state law but has unfairly targeted archery and muzzleload hunters rights while not making the same requirement of modern firearm hunters and fisherman and other outdoor users. Not only that it would not allow hunters under the age of 21 to carry a handgun for protection while archery or muzzleloader hunting. This make absolutely no sense because they are allowed to carry firearms at all other times. I would like this rule removed that was added last minute to the regulations. I am a legal citizen of Washington and the United States and have no criminal history.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/hunter/huntregs2009.pdf
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to OCDO.

I think you would be better off taking your issue over to the Washington State section.

stay safe.

skidmark

mobeewan

imported post

It is the same here in Virginia. Although there is now fullpreemption, Virginia law does allow the game department to regulate the use of weapons while hunting. This includes the carrying of firearms not allowed to be used during specific seasons. Only recently has the regulations been changed to allow CHP (concealed handgun permit) holders to posses a handgun while hunting when handguns are not allowed during a specific hunting season. Washington may have similar laws allowing the game department to regulate types of weapons during any season. In Virginia we can carry rifles openly in public. However we cannot carry a rifle during bow season or muzzle laoading season. Should I complain that the hunting laws do not allow me to carry a rifle during those seasons too?