Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: hunting/camping with RV

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cameron, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    271

    Post imported post

    Is it legal to have an uncased firearm in an RV. Such as if a person was on an ovrnight hunting trip and was spending the night in an RV. Say it rained or snowed and you need to clean your gun or you shot it and don't to leave it full of gunpowder resadue.
    So can you lgealy clean your gun in the RV or do you have to do it outside in the cold, snow, bugs, rain or dirt (Pick one according to season)

    The closest thing I could find was this,




    http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/faq/blinds/Q1.htm
    I want to use something with wheels as a hunting blind, is this legal?
    It is illegal to possess a loaded or uncased firearm or bow in a vehicle or to shoot from a vehicle; therefore, it is illegal to use a vehicle as a hunting blind or stand, unless you are a disabled hunter with the appropriate permit. Vehicle means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway or other roadway. However, if you render a blind or stand with wheels incapable of transportation- remove one or more wheels from a hay wagon or put a car without a motor up on blocks, for instance, it would no longer be considered a “vehicle” and could then be used as a blind or stand.



    I know this isn't actualy a law but if the RV was up on blocks or jacks to leval it would it than be lagal to have an uncased gun in it?



  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    No. In my opinion a Recreational Vehicle is a vehicle within the scope and meaning of the statute prohibiting weapons not un-loaded and not encased and not out of reach. That it is on blocks or un-registered or uninsured or un-used or used for a planter is moot.

    167.31 Safe use and transportation of firearms and
    bows. (1) DEFINITIONS. In this section:

    [ ...]

    (h) “Vehicle” has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (74), and
    includes a snowmobile, as defined in s. 340.01 (58a), and an electric
    personal assistive mobility device, as defined in s. 340.01
    (15pm), except that for purposes of subs. (4) (c) and (cg) and (4m)
    “vehicle” has the meaning given for “motor vehicle” in s. 29.001
    (57).
    (2) PROHIBITIONS; MOTORBOATS AND VEHICLES; HIGHWAYS AND
    ROADWAYS.

    [ ...]

    (b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess
    or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle,
    unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or
    crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.

    [ ... ]

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post

    Don't motor homes have curtains?

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran logan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Greeley, CO
    Posts
    433

    Post imported post

    I'd e-mail the DNR and ask.
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

    Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481

    Post imported post

    logan wrote:
    I'd e-mail the DNR and ask.
    How would DNR know if your motor home has curtains? Just Kidding

  6. #6
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    New Berlin, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    844

    Post imported post

    I talked to someone from the DNR an hour or so ago who gave me the "its a gray area" answer.

    He said if you were stopped, parked, etc and doing something like cleaning your gun, the warden would use their discretion to determine you weren't "hunting from your RV".

    I replied "No offense, but I'm looking for a little more concrete answer, I'm not sure if I want to leave my legal sanctity to the discretion of a warden"

    At which point I was referred to a guy named "Tom" who is some kind of DNR policy expert 608-226-3244 who hasn't called me back yet.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Post imported post

    I wouldn't be so worried about a DNR Conservation Warden as I would be about a sheriff's deputy or town cop.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    S.M., Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    57

    Post imported post

    Doug Huffman wrote:
    I wouldn't be so worried about a DNR Conservation Warden as I would be about a sheriff's deputy or town cop.
    I agree most wardens would not give you a hard time from my prior experiences with them, but do not take that as they would leave you alone it is only from my experiences that wardens are understanding, the people you have to worry about are the idiot small town cop who thinks he/she is the law and what ever they say goes.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran Flipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    hugh jarmis wrote:
    I talked to someone from the DNR an hour or so ago who gave me the "its a gray area" answer.

    He said if you were stopped, parked, etc and doing something like cleaning your gun, the warden would use their discretion to determine you weren't "hunting from your RV".

    I replied "No offense, but I'm looking for a little more concrete answer, I'm not sure if I want to leave my legal sanctity to the discretion of a warden"

    At which point I was referred to a guy named "Tom" who is some kind of DNR policy expert 608-226-3244 who hasn't called me back yet.
    Another reason why all firearm enforcement except those involving hunters actually hunting in the field should be removed from the DNR.... the desk cops therewon't give you a straight answer.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

    The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

    "Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran Flipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    , Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,140

    Post imported post

    Time to contact your state senators and representatives to support Senator Decker's bill on firearms in vehicles.



    http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB222hst.html
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

    The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lFundingR1.png

    "Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Racine, WI
    Posts
    367

    Post imported post

    Flipper wrote:
    Time to contact your state senators and representatives to support Senator Decker's bill on firearms in vehicles.



    http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB222hst.html
    What exactly is this bill proposing?

    As I read the first part of Senate Bill 222 asks that hunters in groups need not be within yelling distance while hunting. I can't wrap my head around what they are trying to do with with 167.31 (2) (b).

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818

    Post imported post

    Mugenlude wrote:
    Flipper wrote:
    Time to contact your state senators and representatives to support Senator Decker's bill on firearms in vehicles.



    http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB222hst.html
    What exactly is this bill proposing?

    As I read the first part of Senate Bill 222 asks that hunters in groups need not be within yelling distance while hunting. I can't wrap my head around what they are trying to do with with 167.31 (2) (b).
    They're trying to make it so you can have an unloaded firearm in your vehicle that doesn't need to be in a case..... They are also trying to get us all arrested for a felony when we drive through a school zone that way.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  13. #13
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839

    Post imported post

    The motivation for this bill is hunting and not self defense. This is a first step. It is stupid to group these 2 proposed changes in the same bill (group hunting and uncased firearms).

    The next move for us to make is to get a bill introduced which exempts vehicles from the Gun Free School Zone law.

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818

    Post imported post

    Interceptor_Knight wrote:
    The motivation for this bill is hunting and not self defense. This is a first step. It is stupid to group these 2 proposed changes in the same bill (group hunting and uncased firearms).

    The next move for us to make is to get a bill introduced which exempts vehicles from the Gun Free School Zone law.
    I'm convinced that the best method to fix the school zone issue is to do something like Montana did with the federal version. In Montana, the law basically states that anyone that is otherwise legally allowed to own a a firearm is permited to do so under the GFSZA.

    That way you don't have to repeal it and could sneak the legislation through a little more under the radar. It also doesn't just apply to vehicle carry.
    Exemption from Federal Gun Free School Zones Act
    MCA
    45-8-360. Establishment of individual licensure. In consideration that the right to keep and bear arms is protected and reserved to the people in Article II, section 12, of the Montana constitution, a person who has not been convicted of a violent, felony crime and who is lawfully able to own or to possess a firearm under the Montana constitution is considered to be individually licensed and verified by the state of Montana within the meaning of the provisions regarding individual licensure and verification in the federal Gun-Free School Zones Act.


    This would work for the federal and the state in Wisconsin.





    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •