• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hunting/camping with RV

Hillmann

imported post

Is it legal to have an uncased firearm in an RV. Such as if a person was on an ovrnight hunting trip and was spending the night in an RV. Say it rained or snowed and you need to clean your gun or you shot it and don't to leave it full of gunpowder resadue.
So can you lgealy clean your gun in the RV or do you have to do it outside in the cold, snow, bugs, rain or dirt (Pick one according to season)

The closest thing I could find was this,

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/faq/blinds/Q1.htm
I want to use something with wheels as a hunting blind, is this legal?
It is illegal to possess a loaded or uncased firearm or bow in a vehicle or to shoot from a vehicle; therefore, it is illegal to use a vehicle as a hunting blind or stand, unless you are a disabled hunter with the appropriate permit. Vehicle means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway or other roadway. However, if you render a blind or stand with wheels incapable of transportation- remove one or more wheels from a hay wagon or put a car without a motor up on blocks, for instance, it would no longer be considered a “vehicle” and could then be used as a blind or stand.

I know this isn't actualy a law but if the RV was up on blocks or jacks to leval it would it than be lagal to have an uncased gun in it?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

No. In my opinion a Recreational Vehicle is a vehicle within the scope and meaning of the statute prohibiting weapons not un-loaded and not encased and not out of reach. That it is on blocks or un-registered or uninsured or un-used or used for a planter is moot.

167.31 Safe use and transportation of firearms and
bows. (1) DEFINITIONS. In this section:

[ ...]

(h) “Vehicle” has the meaning given in s. 340.01 (74), and
includes a snowmobile, as defined in s. 340.01 (58a), and an electric
personal assistive mobility device, as defined in s. 340.01
(15pm), except that for purposes of subs. (4) (c) and (cg) and (4m)
“vehicle” has the meaning given for “motor vehicle” in s. 29.001
(57).
(2) PROHIBITIONS; MOTORBOATS AND VEHICLES; HIGHWAYS AND
ROADWAYS.

[ ...]

(b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess
or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle,
unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or
crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.

[ ... ]

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I talked to someone from the DNR an hour or so ago who gave me the "its a gray area" answer.

He said if you were stopped, parked, etc and doing something like cleaning your gun, the warden would use their discretion to determine you weren't "hunting from your RV".

I replied "No offense, but I'm looking for a little more concrete answer, I'm not sure if I want to leave my legal sanctity to the discretion of a warden"

At which point I was referred to a guy named "Tom" who is some kind of DNR policy expert 608-226-3244 who hasn't called me back yet.

Open carry ok to me

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I wouldn't be so worried about a DNR Conservation Warden as I would be about a sheriff's deputy or town cop.
I agree most wardens would not give you a hard time from my prior experiences with them, but do not take that as they would leave you alone it is only from my experiences that wardens are understanding, the people you have to worry about are the idiot small town cop who thinks he/she is the law and what ever they say goes.

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
I talked to someone from the DNR an hour or so ago who gave me the "its a gray area" answer.

He said if you were stopped, parked, etc and doing something like cleaning your gun, the warden would use their discretion to determine you weren't "hunting from your RV".

I replied "No offense, but I'm looking for a little more concrete answer, I'm not sure if I want to leave my legal sanctity to the discretion of a warden"

At which point I was referred to a guy named "Tom" who is some kind of DNR policy expert 608-226-3244 who hasn't called me back yet.
Another reason why all firearm enforcement except those involving hunters actually hunting in the field should be removed from the DNR.... the desk cops therewon't give you a straight answer.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Flipper wrote:
Time to contact your state senators and representatives to support Senator Decker's bill on firearms in vehicles.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB222hst.html
What exactly is this bill proposing?

As I read the first part of Senate Bill 222 asks that hunters in groups need not be within yelling distance while hunting. I can't wrap my head around what they are trying to do with with 167.31 (2) (b).

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mugenlude wrote:
Flipper wrote:
Time to contact your state senators and representatives to support Senator Decker's bill on firearms in vehicles.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB222hst.html
What exactly is this bill proposing?

As I read the first part of Senate Bill 222 asks that hunters in groups need not be within yelling distance while hunting. I can't wrap my head around what they are trying to do with with 167.31 (2) (b).
They're trying to make it so you can have an unloaded firearm in your vehicle that doesn't need to be in a case..... They are also trying to get us all arrested for a felony when we drive through a school zone that way.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

The motivation for this bill is hunting and not self defense. This is a first step. It is stupid to group these 2 proposed changes in the same bill (group hunting and uncased firearms).

The next move for us to make is to get a bill introduced which exempts vehicles from the Gun Free School Zone law.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
The motivation for this bill is hunting and not self defense. This is a first step. It is stupid to group these 2 proposed changes in the same bill (group hunting and uncased firearms).

The next move for us to make is to get a bill introduced which exempts vehicles from the Gun Free School Zone law.

I'm convinced that the best method to fix the school zone issue is to do something like Montana did with the federal version. In Montana, the law basically states that anyone that is otherwise legally allowed to own a a firearm is permited to do so under the GFSZA.

That way you don't have to repeal it and could sneak the legislation through a little more under the radar. It also doesn't just apply to vehicle carry.
Exemption from Federal Gun Free School Zones Act
MCA
45-8-360. Establishment of individual licensure. In consideration that the right to keep and bear arms is protected and reserved to the people in Article II, section 12, of the Montana constitution, a person who has not been convicted of a violent, felony crime and who is lawfully able to own or to possess a firearm under the Montana constitution is considered to be individually licensed and verified by the state of Montana within the meaning of the provisions regarding individual licensure and verification in the federal Gun-Free School Zones Act.

This would work for the federal and the state in Wisconsin.