• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Magizines in CC state?

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

It is illegal in Texas for me to open carry my handgun in public, but what about my spare mags? My gun is concealed according to the law, but spare magazines are not 'handguns' in and of themselves, and there is no regulation (to my knowledge) regarding the carrying of ammunition!

Thoughts?

gb8106

imported post

As far as the magazines are concerned no, not illegal. I would suggest if you have a concealed handgun license carry where applicable, and if you have x tra mags carry those concealed as well.

ScottyT

imported post

I think OCing a couple of mags in pouches sounds like a great idea! It makes the same basic statement as OCing does, while still conforming to local (unconstitutional) laws.

I say go for it if legal!

Ironbar

imported post

I think you're really splitting hairs man. If you want open carry so bad in Texas, then lobby your elected officials. Otherwise, just keep the s**t covered up.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ScottyT wrote:
I think OCing a couple of mags in pouches sounds like a great idea! It makes the same basic statement as OCing does, while still conforming to local (unconstitutional) laws.

What would the purpose of "OCing" a couple of mags? What sense would it make?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

HankT wrote:
ScottyT wrote:

Hmmmmm......

If you think about it, it has some of the benifits of each style of carry.

1. A smart bad guy ( I know, a stretch, but I've heard they're out there) will see the mags and know you are probablypacking. Arguably, this gives you the OC deterent effect.

2. The BG doesn't know where your firearm isso it would be harder for that theoretical disarmament.

3. Sheeple think you "may" be carrying but have no proof to that effect so can't cry MWAG.

Still no benifit for the BG shoots you first rumor.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Ironbar wrote:
I think you're really splitting hairs man. If you want open carry so bad in Texas, then lobby your elected officials. Otherwise, just keep the s**t covered up.
You sound like a troll. We have been lobbying our elected officials, and quite frankly my question was not originally about finding ways to OC! So, If you would like to discuss the topic put forth, please chime in, otherwise, pipe down!

Brass Magnet
1. A smart bad guy ( I know, a stretch, but I've heard they're out there) will see the mags and know you are probably packing. Arguably, this gives you the OC deterent effect.
2. The BG doesn't know where your firearm is so it would be harder for that theoretical disarmament.
3. Sheeple think you "may" be carrying but have no proof to that effect so can't cry MWAG.
Quite frankly, I really hadn't thought it out this far, but this has merit to it!

What originally sparked my interest was another thread about how to carry extra mags while CC; And I had never really thought about it. On my shoulder holster it is not a problem, but the mags can be a bit of a pain to get to in a hurry.

Also, I spend a lot of time on my property (I live in the country with a good bit of property around me) and at the range and have my extra mags on my belt or in my back pocket, and don't always get around to removing them before going into town...

Thirdly, on my belt is simply the easiest and most comfortable way to carry them!
My daily dress is wrangler jeans and Wrangler/western style shirts. (Yes, I'm your typical 'Cowboy') and with the daily temps around here in the triple digits fitting anything under my clothes is uncomfortable and there just isn't much room there!

So, just considering options and wondering if anyone knew of the legality of doing such where 'CC' is required?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
HankT wrote:

Hmmmmm......

1. A smart bad guy ( I know, a stretch, but I've heard they're out there) will see the mags and know you are probablypacking. Arguably, this gives you the OC deterent effect.

2. The BG doesn't know where your firearm isso it would be harder for that theoretical disarmament.

Yah, or the hit the OCer upside the head with the butt of a rifle gambit. I know it can never happen.....but stilll....