• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Open Carry

KSDeputy

imported post

I got curious about the law concerning open carry in KS. I have read statutes for over an hour, and I still don't know. Before concealed carry was passed in KS, it used to be legal to open carry outside of cities that had ordinances against it. Once CCW was passed, the state took over all firearm related matters. I found statutes about concealed carry, and open carry as a security officer and law enforcement officer. Since I carry under a Federal law, HR 218, I still have to obey the KS concealed carry law. I can carry nationwide, but I must know and obey the local law wherever I am. Fortunately I rarely leave this state, because keeping up with all the laws in jurisdictions I pass through or stay in, would be difficult. Since the laws here have changed, I will find out if open carry is legal in KS, and let everyone know. I haven't completely decided on my position on open carry yet. I do know that open carrying of handguns scares people, unless they are on an LEO or uniformed security officer with a badge showing. I have strongly supported the second amendment all my life. I am a life member of the NRA, GOA, & LEAA. I collect guns. Many of my friends do as well. In fact, one of my fellow retired deputies knows more about guns than anyone I ever met. His son is a gunsmith and Class III dealer. It is now legal to own machine guns in KS, they changed the law on that a couple of years ago. I'll ask him about open carry, he may know the answer as he keeps up on more gun laws than I do. After finding this website, and reading this forum extensively, I lean toward supporting open carry. I certainly support it in states where that is one's only option. Sorry this showed up in a separate forum, maybe the moderator can move it.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

KSDeputy wrote:
I got curious about the law concerning open carry in KS. I have read statutes for over an hour, and I still don't know. Before concealed carry was passed in KS, it used to be legal to open carry outside of cities that had ordinances against it. Once CCW was passed, the state took over all firearm related matters. I found statutes about concealed carry, and open carry as a security officer and law enforcement officer. Since I carry under a Federal law, HR 218, I still have to obey the KS concealed carry law. I can carry nationwide, but I must know and obey the local law wherever I am. Fortunately I rarely leave this state, because keeping up with all the laws in jurisdictions I pass through or stay in, would be difficult. Since the laws here have changed, I will find out if open carry is legal in KS, and let everyone know. I haven't completely decided on my position on open carry yet. I do know that open carrying of handguns scares people, unless they are on an LEO or uniformed security officer with a badge showing. I have strongly supported the second amendment all my life. I am a life member of the NRA, GOA, & LEAA. I collect guns. Many of my friends do as well. In fact, one of my fellow retired deputies knows more about guns than anyone I ever met. His son is a gunsmith and Class III dealer. It is now legal to own machine guns in KS, they changed the law on that a couple of years ago. I'll ask him about open carry, he may know the answer as he keeps up on more gun laws than I do. After finding this website, and reading this forum extensively, I lean toward supporting open carry. I certainly support it in states where that is one's only option. Sorry this showed up in a separate forum, maybe the moderator can move it.

I suggest you go to the KS forum and see what they might have there.

As for scaring people, so what? Some people will always be scared of something. Some are afraid of black people, should black people stay inside, or wear makeup to cover their skin?

Open carry is the trueexpression of supportof the 2A. To do any less and say you are for the 2A is disingenuous.

KSDeputy

imported post

I have been reading the KS forum, and they do have a lot of information. The problem is the KS laws. I have worked under them for 30 years, but a lot have recently changed. For instance, the ccw law has a very long list of places that are prohibited. I have to carry a copy of the statute with me to make certain I do not carry in one of these places. If it is this difficult for me, having worked under these laws for so long, I feel empathy for a private citizen. The safest thing is get a ccw permit, and carry a copy of the statute with you at all times.

patriotthad

imported post

Thanks for your open mind. As to scareing people, there will always be some who will not like, or be afraid of,what you do. If it be the church you choose to attend, your political party, the type of vehicle you drive or your hair style. So we cannot please every one. If someone doesn't like my OCing should I not exercise my right? And then will that person stop everything I don't like or am afraid of? Open Carry is more of a deterent to crime than CC. That is why police every where OC

D_Weezy

imported post

Venator wrote:
KSDeputy wrote:

I suggest you go to the KS forum and see what they might have there.

As for scaring people, so what? Some people will always be scared of something. Some are afraid of black people, should black people stay inside, or wear makeup to cover their skin?

Open carry is the trueexpression of supportof the 2A. To do any less and say you are for the 2A is disingenuous.
I agree. Why should you give up something that is totally legal, just because someone is scared by it. You are not breaking the law. I open carry and love it and yes I have my CCW permit.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Exactly I love the fact im a 24yr dude who has the freedom of OC. I must say it gets really old hearing mumbojubo like "when you get your ccw you have to CC" mer mer mer freedom is freedom.
I must say that when I get my Class c and CCW I really hope the regular job that I dont do security for will let me carry on the job I am so tired of working at fast food joints and not being able to carry its such a joke. These are the places we all need to OC.

bohdi

imported post

Maybe contacting the state District Attorney/Attorney General and the state police would be useful? If there is not a law AGAINST doing something, then it's not illegal. Good luck.

KSDeputy

imported post

To read the KS statutes regarding carrying of firearms, go to http://www.kansas.gov, and click on bills, read the text of statute 21-4201, also read the text of 497 which is an amendment to the criminal use of weapons statute (21-4201) concerning knives. I believe it makes assisted opening knives legal. It says what weapons are illegal, and the exemptions to the statute.

UPDATE: In Topeka open carry is now legal, but the city council is trying to change that. There is much more information on this in hot topics. If you support open carry in Topeka, you need to call your council representative and express your views, and be at the meetings outside with other protesters. :(