• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-Mart does not allow OC

One_Percent

imported post

On Saturday, July 25th, my wife and I entered the West side Wal-Mart in Casper. Like hundreds of times before I was carrying my Glock 21 in plain view on my hip. Immediately upon entering the store, the door greeter stopped us. He asked me for I.D. and told me that only cops were allowed to carry guns in the store. I told him , very politely, that I was exercising my right to carry openly.He then called for management and security via radio. When management arrived mere seconds later I began telling them the same thing. While talking to the several managers present I was very rudely interrupted by a man in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts. He got in my face and told me I was breaking the law and that I could not carry a firearm. I replied "Actually I canbuddy, look it up." I then turned back to the conversation with the managers. This man again got in my face and very belligerently interrupted. Irritated, I asked him what his problem was and why he was interrupting. He ignored my question and kept talking. So I asked him if he worked there. This time he answered me and claimed he was security. Upon my request he said his name was Sam Peterson. At this point he demanded that I leave the store, and the managers agreed. We left and when we got home started calling Wal-Mart.

The gist of what I discovered is as follows. The assistant store manager Zach, who refused to provide a last name, claimed Wal-Mart policy was a strict no guns allowed. The store manager, Daryl Sawyer,claimed the same. Another manager I was able to contact in S.D. claimed that was not true. This man said that unless a customer complained, open carry was fine according to Wal-Mart policy. I left a message for the regional manager, Craig Briggs. So far I haven't been able to contact him. His assistant however, Kim, said Wal-Mart does not allow open carry unless you are L.E. According to her, concealed carry is fine as long as it is not seen.

To anyone interested in contacting these people, here are the phone numbers;

West side Wal-mart 307-232-9593

Regional Office 605-642-2460

GJD

imported post

This happens frequently at other Wal-Marts. There are so many complaints mostly due to the number of stores around the country. At least the higher up people knew the real policy and hopefully it will trickle down to the individual store.

Tosta Dojen

imported post

It's probably a good idea for you to mention to these various managers that a Wal-Mart employee falsely accused you of breaking the law. That's something that should certainly be addressed.

Wyocowboy

imported post

From what I read on this site it seems that Wal-Mart has real problem with understanding there own policies. I wonder how far some polite but firm phone calls would go in explaining the Second Ammendment to these people? Clearly something needs to be done.:?

virginiatuck

imported post

Tosta Dojen wrote:
It's probably a good idea for you to mention to these various managers that a Wal-Mart employee falsely accused you of breaking the law. That's something that should certainly be addressed.

Was the Hawaii 5-0 suggesting the illegality of carrying a firearm or of not leaving after having been asked to leave private property?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I received this from a another OCDO member....

Response from Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (Ref )‏
Sent: Tue 7/21/09 7:38 PM
To: <removed for privacy>

Thank you for your message.

Dear John,

There is no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally licensed by their state to carry.

As a private property owner, Wal-Mart has the authority and ability ask customers to leave or to remove their handgun on case-by-case basis if it is causing any kind of a problem.

For further correspondence regarding this issue, please reply to this email.

One_Percent

imported post

Tosta Dojen wrote:
Actually I did address this with the managers I spoke to. All of them claimed they would " Talk to him". I really don't think that will go very far.

One_Percent

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
Tosta Dojen wrote:

Was the Hawaii 5-0 suggesting the illegality of carrying a firearm or of not leaving after having been asked to leave private property?
Since the toy cop began his dialogue by saying I was breaking the law by carrying a firearm, I took it to mean the former and not the latter. If he had identified himself or had been in a uniform I would have asked him more about it. As it was, I had no idea initially that he was employed by Wal-Mart.

One_Percent

imported post

To WyoCowboy,

I agree completely. Something does need to be done, and if enough us call them we may get things changed. It's a good place to start at least.

Huck

imported post

Wyocowboy wrote:
From what I read on this site it seems that Wal-Mart has real problem with understanding there own policies. I wonder how far some polite but firm phone calls would go in explaining the Second Ammendment to these people? Clearly something needs to be done.:?
My solution is to stay out of Wally World. There's a superstore here in Evanston but I've only been in it once, almost 4 years ago. I can find anything Wally World has at other locations that know the law and respect their customers rights.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Huck wrote:
Wyocowboy wrote:
My solution is to stay out of Wally World. There's a superstore here in Evanston but I've only been in it once, almost 4 years ago. I can find anything Wally World has at other locations that know the law and respect their customers rights.
Has anyone not seen my post above?? We now have a letter from Corporate stating carry is legal, however managers still have the right to ask you to leave or lock it up.

Huck

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Huck wrote:
Wyocowboy wrote:
Has anyone not seen my post above?? We now have a letter from Corporate stating carry is legal, however managers still have the right to ask you to leave or lock it up.
So they recognize the right to OC in Wyoming but it's up to the storemanager as to whether you're allowed to do so in Wally's part of Wyoming. Now that's a "definate maybe" if I ever saw one.

AB

imported post

Apparently no-one has read previous Wyoming Wal-Mart posts, just call Ron at the Sheridan Store he will straighten out other Wyoming Stores.

Repoman

imported post

Well let me completly correct this post.

I was just shopping in the Casper Store #1617, with my Taurus PT111 in my holster in front of GOD and country just like normal.While at the sporting goods counter, Iwas waiting on a man named Vandy from automotive to get me an ice scraper (before they sell out again). Well Vandy noticed my firearm, and pointed at is asked me if I was law Enforcement, I said no and if he had a problem with it he was more than welcome to contact the regional offce. Well he didn't call, he did get me the ice scraper I asked for and I returned home and just called the Regional office.

I just spoke to Mr. Mark Davis at the regional office and explained the situation and that I was under the impression that this issue had been resolved months ago when complaints were first made. I also informed him he is about to loose not only a customer but a shareholder, and I am more than willing to bring this up at the next sharehoders meeting.

He has asked to call me back after he has resolved this issue.

JonseyMcFly

imported post

When i turned 16 me and my mother went to wallmart ot get me a new rifle. It was a Winchester 30-06 and i carried it out of the store. Only got stopped to cheek the recite.

SDguy

imported post

Repoman wrote:
Well let me completly correct this post.

I was just shopping in the Casper Store #1617, with my Taurus PT111 in my holster in front of GOD and country just like normal.While at the sporting goods counter, Iwas waiting on a man named Vandy from automotive to get me an ice scraper (before they sell out again). Well Vandy noticed my firearm, and pointed at is asked me if I was law Enforcement, I said no and if he had a problem with it he was more than welcome to contact the regional offce. Well he didn't call, he did get me the ice scraper I asked for and I returned home and just called the Regional office.

I just spoke to Mr. Mark Davis at the regional office and explained the situation and that I was under the impression that this issue had been resolved months ago when complaints were first made. I also informed him he is about to loose not only a customer but a shareholder, and I am more than willing to bring this up at the next sharehoders meeting.

He has asked to call me back after he has resolved this issue.
If you are relating the incident exactly as it took place then in my opinion you really created the problem yourself. When Vandy asked you if you were law enforcement there was no need for you to reply the way you did. Your reply, in my opinion was an unnecessary challenge and does not help our cause.

I can think of several alternative replies on your part that would have been more appropiate and may have easily taken care of the situtation gracefully while educating Vandy.