• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry

tygereye

imported post

I had a comical open carry experience the other weekend... I was with my family, (2 sisters, and my mom) up to a family reunion. My mom said that her family was very "redneck" and they wouldn't care if I open carried, so I figured, what a better place to get used to being out in the open.

We headed upto Mancelona Michigan. On the way there, we had to stop at a grocery store, and since I do not have my CPL yet, I open carried my holster. Nothing happened in the store. My sister's and I were chatting out by the cars, waiting for the others to exit the store, when my 10 year old,distant cousin walked by, did a double take, andlooking at me incredulously, said "you have a holster on"...

I replied "yes, I do"

He said, "where's your gun"... I said... (as I was checking to make sure my truck was locked) "It's locked in my truck" he proceeds to tell me that he has a gun too. I managed to get him to admit, his was a BB gun...

He then walks up to me, and says with attitude "I will see you... at the party" he is about half my size, so I just said, "yeah, you will..."

So, we get to the reunion, I holster, and begin mingling, several people were coming up to me to talk, but no one had commented as of yet...Then... WhileI was talking to my sister, in the vacinity of one of the 4 food tables, one guy came up to me, and said. "Don't shoot me, I am just the piano player" He spoke so quietly, I didn't quite realize what he said till several minutes later... I just laughed...

While helping my niece keep warm, seated next to another food table, someone else came up to me, and said "Are you guarding the food? Making sure no one takes to much?" I chuckled and said no, I was not...

Meanwhile, through all this, my 10 year old rival, was constantly motioning me to come see him... I was finally cornered, and he had his BB gun proudly on his hip, (he was concealing under a long sleeve button down shirt:uhoh:)

He went to take his out of his holster, and I said "mine stays in the holster" he didn't bother removing his after that... he then snorted at me, saying "your gun looks fake" I assured him it was real, with real bullets in it.

He asked what kind it was, I told him a 9mm. He said "you should get a .44 ... I mean a .45" then he huffly walked away from me rolling his eyes....

Next day, some of the family was coming over for a party at my place, so, I was once again wearing my pistol.

It took all of about 5 minutes for my great aunt to say "Ok, what's with the gun"

I informed her that it is with me all the time, she tried to tell me that I had to conceal, to which I explained that it wasn't needed in the state of michigan... gave her a business card, and that was the end of that...

All in all, a great weekend, just thought I would share...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Interesting story.
I don't mean to bring up any potential issues, but you may want to tell the parents of your "10 year old rival" that their son may have been commiting a felony. In Michigan, if the "bb gun" CAN accept pellets, it is considered a firearm, needs to be registered, and he could be charged with Carrying a Concealed Weapon".

Michigan definition of a firearm:

8.3t “Firearm” defined.
Sec. 3t. The word “firearm”, except as otherwise specifically defined in the statutes, shall be construed to include any weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by using explosives, gas or air as a means of propulsion, except any smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling BB’s not exceeding .177 calibre by means of spring, gas or air.