• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Springfield Armory XDM .40 in California?

jrwalker

imported post

Hi all. I'm actually a resident of Reno, NV, but I have a lot of family that lives in Cali. Well I am going to visit them this weekend (in Redding if that changes anything). I know it is legal to UOC in Cali and you can have a loaded magazine on your belt as long as it is visible, you just have to obey the 12031(e) check if an officer demands it. My question is this:

I have a Springfield XDM .40 that I would like to OC with, but the package it came in says "Illegal in California. High Capacity Magazine." or somewhere along those lines. It does have a 16 round magazine (of which I have 3). Can I even have this gun in California? let alone open carry it?

brad9point0

imported post

Gun yes, magazine no. thats basically the blunt answer. if you plan to do anything such as open carry its not worth the risk. pick up some 10 rd mags for 20 bucks or so and you will be good, surprisingly CA does not require handgun registration... even tho many police officers do not understand that. might be worthwhile to print out DOJ's page on it just to cover ur rear... better to be over prepared then under.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#25

There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers. However, you may submit a Firearm Ownership Record to the DOJ for any firearm you own. Having a Firearm Ownership Record on file with the DOJ may help in the return of your firearm if it is lost or stolen. With very few and specific exceptions, all firearm transactions must be conducted through a firearms dealer.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

brad9point0 wrote:
Gun yes, magazine no. thats basically the blunt answer. if you plan to do anything such as open carry its not worth the risk. pick up some 10 rd mags for 20 bucks or so and you will be good, surprisingly CA does not require handgun registration... even tho many police officers do not understand that. might be worthwhile to print out DOJ's page on it just to cover ur rear... better to be over prepared then under.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#25

There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers. However, you may submit a Firearm Ownership Record to the DOJ for any firearm you own. Having a Firearm Ownership Record on file with the DOJ may help in the return of your firearm if it is lost or stolen. With very few and specific exceptions, all firearm transactions must be conducted through a firearms dealer.
Yes, unfortunately brad9point0 is right. Gun is OK, magazine is not.

jrwalker

imported post

Ok. Thanks for the info and that's a great link. So obviously I have to get a 10 round mag for it. Any ideas where I can get one for an XDM?

brad9point0

imported post

XDM is not made in a 10rd mag yet :( Springfield has said they were making one but I have yet to see one available for my XDM :(

you can call springfield and see if and when they will be available... Last I was told it was going to be the end of 2008 then the first part of 2009... so i dunno......

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I don't know anything about the XDM, but I just want to point out that some pistols have features that are illegal in CA. E.g. threaded barrel, forward pistol grip, magazine is inserted outside the grip, etc. (There might be other banned features, but that's all I can think of.)

ETA: Contrary to some FUD, your pistol doesn't have to be on the CA "safe (aka 'not unsafe') handgun" list. That list only applies to weapons being sold by FFLs, and doesn't apply to private party import or sales.

jrwalker

imported post

Bummer :?

I hit up XDTalk last night and read that theXDM itself is actually illegal because it does not have a magazine disconnect... i.e. when the magazine is released,an XDMcan still fire. any truth to this?

Also what are the laws pertaining to visitors? As I said in another post I'm from Nevada so am I able to take it over there because I'm not buying it/selling it/becoming a resident over there?

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

jrwalker wrote:
Bummer :?

I hit up XDTalk last night and read that theXDM itself is actually illegal because it does not have a magazine disconnect... i.e. when the magazine is released,an XDMcan still fire. any truth to this?

Also what are the laws pertaining to visitors? As I said in another post I'm from Nevada so am I able to take it over there because I'm not buying it/selling it/becoming a resident over there?
As stated above, the requirements of the handguns safe for sale does not effect YOU.

The only requirements you really need to worry about are 10 round mag. I don't believe the XDM comes with a threaded barrel, otherwise you would have to worry about that.

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

jrwalker wrote:
Hi all. I'm actually a resident of Reno, NV, but I have a lot of family that lives in Cali. Well I am going to visit them this weekend (in Redding if that changes anything). I know it is legal to UOC in Cali and you can have a loaded magazine on your belt as long as it is visible, you just have to obey the 12031(e) check if an officer demands it. My question is this:

I have a Springfield XDM .40 that I would like to OC with, but the package it came in says "Illegal in California. High Capacity Magazine." or somewhere along those lines. It does have a 16 round magazine (of which I have 3). Can I even have this gun in California? let alone open carry it?
I own the same Firearm. Love it. I have a 10 round mag. An LEO has inspected it while I was UCOing and found nothing wrong with it. Buy a 10 round mag for $35 and you're in business.

jrwalker

imported post

SomeGuyInCali wrote:
jrwalker wrote:

I own the same Firearm. Love it. I have a 10 round mag. An LEO has inspected it while I was UCOing and found nothing wrong with it. Buy a 10 round mag for $35 and you're in business.
Where to get it? I was told that Springfield has not even made a 10 round magazine yet... SA said they would have one out later this year, but to not hold our breath... where?

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

jrwalker wrote:
SomeGuyInCali wrote:
jrwalker wrote:

Where to get it? I was told that Springfield has not even made a 10 round magazine yet... SA said they would have one out later this year, but to not hold our breath... where?
My mistake... I have an SA XD 40, not an XDM. Sorry for the confusion on that.
The frame and grip is slightly wider and wont accept a regular XD 10rd Mag. :(

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

jrwalker wrote:
I kinda see why they wouldn't make 10-rd mags for a firearm that can't be sold by CA FFLs. How much demand could there be for these mags? There's probably only a hundred or so of that model in the entire state, and a good number of those people are either LE/military exempted, or simply ignore the law.

brad9point0

imported post

Well CA is not the only state with a 10 rd max... the following is what I was able to find in 2 minutes, im sure it is not the most accurate, but it shows that demand is quite possible. I would love to have some, that's all I am going to say on that subject.... ;)

No magazine over 10 round capacity available for sale to: CA, DC, HI, MA, NY, and Toledo, OH.

No magazine over 12 round available for sale in Chicago, IL.

No magazine over 14 round capacity available for sale in NJ, Cincinnati OH., Aurora, IL., and South Bend, IN.

No magazine over 19 round capacity available for sale in MD, Cleveland, OH., Columbus, OH. and Wichita Kansas

KAISER-MAN

imported post

In reply to jrwalker just visiting from Reno and having a high cap mag, the California PC states that after Jan. 1 of 2000 "you may not manufacture, or cause to be manufactured, import into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives or lends any large capacity magazine." I have a Para Ordance P14 and my mag holds 17 rounds of 45acp. It's not illegal to possess a high cap magazine, If you owneditbefore Jan. 1 2000.PC 12020 (a) (2)

brad9point0

imported post

The exemptions do not apply to the XD though. It was not made until 2003 so any officer that is even somewhat gun litterate would know that its a recent make. Now a Glock thats been made since the 90's could be gotten away with.

Decoligny

imported post

KAISER-MAN wrote:
In reply to jrwalker just visiting from Reno and having a high cap mag, the California PC states that after Jan. 1 of 2000 "you may not manufacture, or cause to be manufactured, import into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives or lends any large capacity magazine." I have a Para Ordance P14 and my mag holds 17 rounds of 45acp. It's not illegal to possess a high cap magazine, If you owneditbefore Jan. 1 2000.PC 12020 (a) (2)
Not quite right. You had to have possessed the hi-cap magazine "in the state" before Jan 1, 2000 for you to legally bring it "back into" the state. If an out of state resident owned a hi-cap mag since 1960 and never had it in CA then it cannot be brought into the state.

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:

(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be
manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity
magazine.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:

(23) The importation of a large-capacity magazine by a person who
lawfully possessed the large-capacity magazine in the state prior to
January 1, 2000,
lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning
to the state with the large-capacity magazine previously lawfully
possessed in the state.

TupijkaMakjipuT

imported post

You could always modify the magazine yourself so that it cannot have more than 10 bullets. If your mechanically minded it may not be too difficult to modify them temporarily by using parts from a different magazine or cutting a spring and putting something at the bottom so it won't fit more than 10... Just a thought , if you want to bring it in that badly.

1245A Defender

imported post

remove the heel of the mag, then saw the ends of a piece of 3/4th" X 1 1/8th" wood to the angle of the column of the magazine (itll be a trapoized) , on both ends,tall enough in the magto take up the space of the excess rounds, install it under the spring and put the heel back on! IANAL, hell im not even in calif! it will hold fewer rounds with no perminent mods,,, but its still a hi-cap mag!!! illegal?

AlanR

imported post

I believe it needs to be permanently altered. The modified 10 round AR/AK mags I've seen have a block inserted and the base plate fixed. Polymer mags have the base plate epoxied and steel mags have the base plate welded. I don't know if there's a DOJ ruling or if it's CYA on the part of the manufacturers.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

AlanR wrote:
I believe it needs to be permanently altered...
It does, per 12020(b)(25). I don't know of any case law or anything to define "permanent" alteration. I think welding/epoxying is a good way to CYA, though.

12020(b)(25):
Code:
As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any
ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10
rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:

(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it
cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.