• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Purchase more than one handgun within any 30-day period

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
"handguns to be purchased and transferred for lawful business or personal use,
  1. in a collector series,
  2. for collections,
  3. as a bulk purchase from estate sales and for similar purposes. "
It seems to me that this law is clearly for buying guns that are part of a set meant to stay together as one unit.

If it is not going to be possible for a buyer to wait several months to buy each gun in a set individually.

They can receive a special permit to get them all. Obviously, an estate sale is not going to be around for several months for you to buy each gun. They need to sell them all and in a very short period of time. Normally an estate sale will last about a week.

But this is a good law to know about. Thanks!!
It's written and read like this:

...handguns to be purchased and transferred:
1) for lawful business or personal use,
2) in a collector series,
3) for collections,
4) as a bulk purchase from estate sales,
5) and for similar purposes.
Sorry guys where is it written. I didn't see it and would like read it for myself. :?

logistixz

imported post

1. Purchases in excess of one handgun within a 30-day period may be made upon completion of an enhanced background check, as described herein, by special application to the Department of State Police listing the number and type of handguns to be purchased and transferred for lawful business or personal use, in a collector series, for collections, as a bulk purchase from estate sales and for similar purposes. Such applications shall be signed under oath by the applicant on forms provided by the Department of State Police, shall state the purpose for the purchase above the limit, and shall require satisfactory proof of residency and identity. Such application shall be in addition to the firearms sales report required by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). The Superintendent of State Police shall promulgate regulations, pursuant to the Administrative Process Act (§ 2.2-4000 et seq.), for the implementation of an application process for purchases of handguns above the limit.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

logistixz wrote:
1. Purchases in excess of one handgun within a 30-day period may be made upon completion of an enhanced background check, as described herein, by special application to the Department of State Police listing the number and type of handguns to be purchased and transferred for lawful business or personal use, in a collector series, for collections, as a bulk purchase from estate sales and for similar purposes. Such applications shall be signed under oath by the applicant on forms provided by the Department of State Police, shall state the purpose for the purchase above the limit, and shall require satisfactory proof of residency and identity. Such application shall be in addition to the firearms sales report required by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF). The Superintendent of State Police shall promulgate regulations, pursuant to the Administrative Process Act (§ 2.2-4000 et seq.), for the implementation of an application process for purchases of handguns above the limit.

Thanks logistixz I read the section quick and missed it.

Been out of school a long time but as I recall the "and" is used in a comma separated list to designate the last item of the list with out the comma.

Therefore

3) for collections,

For similar purposes would be related to all of the first four. google-fu not working good now but will research when I have time.

LEO 229

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
Thanks logistixz I read the section quick and missed it.

Been out of school a long time but as I recall the "and" is used in a comma separated list to designate the last item of the list with out the comma.

Therefore

3) for collections,

For similar purposes would be related to all of the first four. google-fu not working good now but will research when I have time.

Sorry, it seems that you are also wrong. :?

The comma is not usedon purpose and for a reason. Please refer to the examples below for further clarification on why.

The last two are meant to be held together to mean you are needing to buy something that comes in quantity. Not one today and one next week because it is a good sale.

Otherwise.. what would a "similar purpose" be referencing?

Lawfulness? Series? Collection?Estate Sales?

That could meanyou could buy more than one a month because the purpose wasfor a lawfuluse.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm

Use a comma to separate the elements in a series (three or more things), including the last two. "He hit the ball, dropped the bat, and ran to first base."

You may have learned that the comma before the "and" is unnecessary, which is fine if you're in control of things. However, there are situations in which, if you don't use this comma (especially when the list is complex or lengthy), these last two items in the list will try to glom together (like macaroni and cheese).

Using a comma between all the items in a series, including the last two, avoids this problem. This last comma—the one between the word "and" and the preceding word—is often called the serial comma or the Oxford comma.

In newspaper writing, incidentally, you will seldom find a serial comma, but that is not necessarily a sign that it should be omitted in academic prose.

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp

Rule 1.[/b]
To avoid confusion, use commas to separate words and word groups with a series of three or more.

Example:
My $10 million estate is to be split among my husband, daughter, son, and nephew. Omitting the comma after son would indicate that the son and nephew would have to split one-third of the estate.

logistixz

imported post

wow this thread has turned into an argument on grammar, bottom line is from experience the VSP takes into consideration the reasoningbehind the need to makemultiple purchases of handguns within a 30 dayperiod and decides whether or not to issue a certificate.

TexasNative

imported post

I realize that English grammar is one of the main subjects in JBT School, but... :p

It's also a very common practice to omit the comma before the "and" between the last two items in a list (known as the "serial comma"). It's primarily a style issue, and it would be pretty presumptuous of someone (not naming any names, but I'm looking at you, LEO) to say "this is the way it's done." Just take a look at the huge Wikipedia article on that one stinking comma.

And besides, do you really think that all of the folks who draft these laws in our state legislature have put that much thought into their punctuation? Really? I mean, have you actually read the Code of Virginia? (Yes, I know you have, I'm just making a point. Much of the grammar employed there would get a kid booted from 5th grade English for being such a dumbass. And you know it.)

~ Boyd

Thundar

imported post

logistixz wrote:
wow this thread has turned into an argument on grammar, bottom line is from experience the VSP takes into consideration the reasoningbehind the need to makemultiple purchases of handguns within a 30 dayperiod and decides whether or not to issue a certificate.
IANALlogistixz but the lawappears to me to bea shall issue law. Upon meeting the requirements, the state police must issue the permit.

logistixz

imported post

Thundar wrote:
logistixz wrote:
wow this thread has turned into an argument on grammar, bottom line is from experience the VSP takes into consideration the reasoning behind the need to make multiple purchases of handguns within a 30 day period and decides whether or not to issue a certificate.
IANAL logistixz but the law appears to me to be a shall issue law.  Upon meeting the requirements, the state police must issue the permit.

which they did, i was just talking about the argument on grammar

virginiatuck

imported post

Further reading, on the VSP web site, reveals that purchasing a handgun as a gift is a valid reason to purchase more than one handgun in any 30-day period.

So much for this theory:
LEO229 wrote:
It seems to me that this law is clearly for buying guns that are part of a set meant to stay together as one unit.

There must be other lawful, similar purposes for purchasing more than one handgun per month.

It seems that as long as your reason isn't something illegal or suspicious like "My three friends lost their IDs, so they are going to give me cash to buy handguns for them"; and you pass the enhanced background check, then you will be issued a certificate.

LEO 229

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
Further reading, on the VSP web site, reveals that purchasing a handgun as a gift is a valid reason to purchase more than one handgun in any 30-day period.

So much for this theory:
LEO229 wrote:

There must be other lawful, similar purposes for purchasing more than one handgun per month.

It seems that as long as your reason isn't something illegal or suspicious like "My three friends lost their IDs, so they are going to give me cash to buy handguns for them"; and you pass the enhanced background check, then you will be issued a certificate.

Perhaps... But the way it is written does not convey the same.

This is not a tool designed to circumvent theone gun a month law.

I see the intent to be for cases where you need to buy several at one time for a collection or series as indicated. They have added clauseto open the door for other valid reasons that may be justifiable and not identified in the code.

It all comes down to the fact that you need a justifiable reason.

GWRedDragon

imported post

The big one is 'lawful business or personal use'. He was buying for lawful personal use. His request was completely allowable.

It seems pretty clear to me that the purpose of the one per month law is to add an extra check on people to ensure they are not buying as a part of a criminal enterprise. If what you are doing is legal, the law allows you to buy.