Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst States in the Union

Banned

Post imported post

Here are the worst states for freedom, as measured by police, per capita.

In descending order.

http://tinyurl.com/nuve5e

Not a whole lot of surprises.

Post imported post

The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

So....it's from "best" to "worst"? Washington does pretty well actually, then....surprised me.

Banned

Post imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
    So....it's from "best" to "worst"? Washington does pretty well actually, then....surprised me.
    Washington has one cop for every 625 people. Louisiana, the worst state, has one cop for every 256 people. Louisiana is so bad that they have one law enforcement employee for every 200 people.

Shiver.

Good on Washington.

Post imported post

I'm not sure I follow how this is worst and best for freedom? It just seems to be numbers of officers... not numbers of anti-constitutional laws.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

http://www.mercatus.org/uploadedFile...0%20States.pdf

That report rates each state on much more criteria than just the number of government agencies.

Banned

Post imported post

ixtow wrote:
    I'm not sure I follow how this is worst and best for freedom? It just seems to be numbers of officers... not numbers of anti-constitutional laws.
    http://www.mercatus.org/uploadedFile...0%20States.pdf That report rates each state on much more criteria than just the number of government agencies.
    Let's be honest: freedom is the inverse of cops.

A law can't pull me over for no reason and fabricate charges while threatening to kill me, only a cop can.

As for that report, Florida is about the worst place for freedom in the world, yet they list it as akin to Montana?

Post imported post

List it next to Montana?

Based on what criteria?

Banned

Post imported post

smoking357 wrote:

A law can't pull me over for no reason and fabricate charges while threatening to kill me, only a cop can.

Quote of the month, right there.

Post imported post

How can you be anti LEO and call for more "reasonable restrictions" of our second ammendment rights?

Post imported post

smoking357 wrote:

As for that report, Florida is about the worst place for freedom in the world, yet they list it as akin to Montana?
    While true that laws can't kill you they make it much easier for the state to do so without fear of reprisal. As well if there are fewer laws on the books there are fewer laws for the police to arrest you for breaking.

The number of police are not necessarily an indication of freedom. The quality of the police may be a factor in the difference of numbers, maybe the training in Oregon is more rigorous and thus they require fewer officers. Perhaps the police in Oregon are given a broad range of powers, whereas the police in Louisiana are more specialized. Or perhaps the people in Oregon are more civilized than Louisiana (Oregon doesn't have Mardi Gras).

Post imported post

If I ever moved out of the State of Virginia, I would look for one that has an "F" grade from the Brady Campaign.

Banned

Post imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
    While true that laws can't kill you they make it much easier for the state to do so without fear of reprisal. As well if there are fewer laws on the books there are fewer laws for the police to arrest you for breaking.
    This is starting to go in circles.

The observable fact is that the places with the most cops have the least freedom, laws notwithstanding.

Banned

Post imported post

rugerdon wrote:
    If I ever moved out of the State of Virginia, I would look for one that has an "F" grade from the Brady Campaign.
    The main problem in such states is that the hillbillies have turned Jesus into Shiva.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

rugerdon wrote:
    Ugh. I just went to the Brady Campaign website, to see their "report card"...

I immediately felt violated by the levels of ignorance emitted from my screen.

I need a long, hot shower.

Post imported post

Why...whatever do you mean?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

rugerdon wrote:
    My poor intellect has been RAPED by the complete morons at the Brady Campaign!

I don't think I will ever feel clean again.

Post imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
    rugerdon wrote:
    My poor intellect has been RAPED by the complete morons at the Brady Campaign!

I don't think I will ever feel clean again.
    Forget about yourself, you had a choice and you made it... what about your poor monitor? You forced that crap upon it, with no concern for it's interests...

For shame....

:P
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Banned

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    How can you be anti LEO and call for more "reasonable restrictions" of our second ammendment rights?
    wat

Post imported post

smoking357 wrote:
    ixtow wrote:
    http://www.mercatus.org/uploadedFile...0%20States.pdf That report rates each state on much more criteria than just the number of government agencies.

As long as cops are enforcing laws that respect liberty, protect rights, and only prosecute force, fraud, and abuse, they represent no threat to liberty. Once the law steps outside those bounds, it's only a matter of time and incremental steps to authoritarianism. Good cops who refuse to enforce tyrannical laws will be replaced with bad cops, and even criminals.

At the rate this country is going, Chinese style mobile euthanasia vans are just right around the corner guys and gals! Maybe they will sport American flag wraparounds, with an "In Government we trust!!" mantra?

Post imported post

Statesman wrote:
    smoking357 wrote:
    ixtow wrote:

As long as cops are enforcing laws that respect liberty, protect rights, and only prosecute force, fraud, and abuse, they represent no threat to liberty. Once the law steps outside those bounds, it's only a matter of time and incremental steps to authoritarianism. Good cops who refuse to enforce tyrannical laws will be replaced with bad cops, and even criminals.

At the rate this country is going, Chinese style mobile euthanasia vans are just right around the corner guys and gals! Maybe they will sport American flag wraparounds, with an "In Government we trust!!" mantra?
    This is part of why I have little to no respect for Law Enforcement. Pretending to be blind to the evil that so many laws are, makes them nothing more than henchmen.

Didn't take much exposure to them to realize I'd sooner spit on the uniform than wear it.

The mere presence of them, alone, is not the issue.

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

Top Ten Worst States in the Union

10. Connecticut -0.225
    9. Illinois -0.238
    8. Massachusetts -0.242
    7. Washington -0.275
    6. Hawaii -0.304
    5. Maryland -0.405
    4. California -0.413
    3. Rhode Island -0.430
    2. New Jersey -0.457
    1. New York -0.784

Very telling that every single one of the worst States in the Union for freedom and Liberty are very Liberal States. With all the Californians moving to Washington to escape the hell they created in California, Washington will soon be in the Top Five. The worst part is, is that Liberals actually think they're doing good.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Post imported post

Do not read too much into the statistics. Take them at face value. More officers equals more restrictions on freedom. Period. The statisticsare simple and effective, and tell a great dealabout each state.

New York City has an enormous police department. The downstate suburban counties and the largerupstate cities allhave large police departments, they feel they need them because of the high crime rates.

High crime rate areas tend to have less freedom because the politicians can get away withgreater restrictions on freedom. Therefore, rights are highly restricted.

Rural areas in NY have fewer officers, because they have less crime to deal with. Politicians there are concerned that restrictions on rights will be fought with the vote. Therefore rights are not restricted.

Statistically, more cops equals fewer rights.

Post imported post

WheelGun wrote:
    Do not read too much into the statistics. Take them at face value. More officers equals more restrictions on freedom. Period. The statisticsare simple and effective, and tell a great dealabout each state.

New York City has an enormous police department. The downstate suburban counties and the largerupstate cities allhave large police departments, they feel they need them because of the high crime rates.

High crime rate areas tend to have less freedom because the politicians can get away withgreater restrictions on freedom. Therefore, rights are highly restricted.

Rural areas in NY have fewer officers, because they have less crime to deal with. Politicians there are concerned that restrictions on rights will be fought with the vote. Therefore rights are not restricted.

If one subscribes to the ideal that "it is only illegal if you get caught," then you are correct.

In the shade, all actions, even murder, are freedoms; as long as the State doesn't see it.

In most things, the idea that 'somewhere in between' or 'a happy medium,' is where civilization or 'morally correct' might be found. But, this is usually just a self-imposed smokescreen for encroachment.

'right' is usually a completely different perspective, not somewhere in between two wrongs.

Regular Member Washintonian_For_Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

WheelGun wrote:

Try starting a business. Then, while running it, tell me that these restrictions on your freedom are not bad. They are in many ways worse than having a ton of cops on the street. New York and Washington State are very similar in regards to overbearing regulations that suck freedom from the marrow of our society.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. ~ George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast