• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Worst States in the Union

smoking357

Banned
imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
So....it's from "best" to "worst"? Washington does pretty well actually, then....surprised me.
Washington has one cop for every 625 people. Louisiana, the worst state, has one cop for every 256 people. Louisiana is so bad that they have one law enforcement employee for every 200 people.

Shiver.

Good on Washington.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm not sure I follow how this is worst and best for freedom? It just seems to be numbers of officers... not numbers of anti-constitutional laws.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

ixtow wrote:
I'm not sure I follow how this is worst and best for freedom? It just seems to be numbers of officers... not numbers of anti-constitutional laws.
http://www.mercatus.org/uploadedFiles/Mercatus/Publications/Freedom in the 50 States.pdf That report rates each state on much more criteria than just the number of government agencies.
Let's be honest: freedom is the inverse of cops.

A law can't pull me over for no reason and fabricate charges while threatening to kill me, only a cop can.

As for that report, Florida is about the worst place for freedom in the world, yet they list it as akin to Montana?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

smoking357 wrote:

A law can't pull me over for no reason and fabricate charges while threatening to kill me, only a cop can.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Quote of the month, right there.

N00blet45

imported post

smoking357 wrote:

As for that report, Florida is about the worst place for freedom in the world, yet they list it as akin to Montana?
While true that laws can't kill you they make it much easier for the state to do so without fear of reprisal. As well if there are fewer laws on the books there are fewer laws for the police to arrest you for breaking.

The number of police are not necessarily an indication of freedom. The quality of the police may be a factor in the difference of numbers, maybe the training in Oregon is more rigorous and thus they require fewer officers. Perhaps the police in Oregon are given a broad range of powers, whereas the police in Louisiana are more specialized. Or perhaps the people in Oregon are more civilized than Louisiana (Oregon doesn't have Mardi Gras).

Don Barnett

imported post

If I ever moved out of the State of Virginia, I would look for one that has an "F" grade from the Brady Campaign.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

N00blet45 wrote:
While true that laws can't kill you they make it much easier for the state to do so without fear of reprisal. As well if there are fewer laws on the books there are fewer laws for the police to arrest you for breaking.
This is starting to go in circles.

The observable fact is that the places with the most cops have the least freedom, laws notwithstanding.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rugerdon wrote:
If I ever moved out of the State of Virginia, I would look for one that has an "F" grade from the Brady Campaign.

Ugh. I just went to the Brady Campaign website, to see their "report card"...

I immediately felt violated by the levels of ignorance emitted from my screen.

I need a long, hot shower.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
rugerdon wrote:
Why...whatever do you mean?
My poor intellect has been RAPED by the complete morons at the Brady Campaign!

I don't think I will ever feel clean again. :uhoh:
Forget about yourself, you had a choice and you made it... what about your poor monitor? You forced that crap upon it, with no concern for it's interests...

For shame....

:p

Statesman

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
ixtow wrote:
http://www.mercatus.org/uploadedFiles/Mercatus/Publications/Freedom in the 50 States.pdf That report rates each state on much more criteria than just the number of government agencies.

As long as cops are enforcing laws that respect liberty, protect rights, and only prosecute force, fraud, and abuse, they represent no threat to liberty. Once the law steps outside those bounds, it's only a matter of time and incremental steps to authoritarianism. Good cops who refuse to enforce tyrannical laws will be replaced with bad cops, and even criminals.

At the rate this country is going, Chinese style mobile euthanasia vans are just right around the corner guys and gals! Maybe they will sport American flag wraparounds, with an "In Government we trust!!" mantra?