• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting idea for pro-carry businesses

Hendu024

imported post

If we can come up with a general sign/sticker, I will put one up in my business ASAP.
I thought about just making my own little sign, but if we had one that everyone agreed to, it would be nice.

I was thinking something like Lawfully Carried Firearms Welcome Here with a picture of a BG with the traditional red slash through it.

Icetera

Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
If we can come up with a general sign/sticker, I will put one up in my business ASAP.
I thought about just making my own little sign, but if we had one that everyone agreed to, it would be nice.

I was thinking something like Lawfully Carried Firearms Welcome Here with a picture of a BG with the traditional red slash through it.

I like your idea and quickly threw something together:
LawfulCarryWelcome-NoRobbers.jpg

but, I really liked another onethey had posted.

criminalsbeware-1.jpg

Hendu024

imported post

I like both of them. I found that same BG pic online and started to do my own, but that second one is pretty perfect too. I think I'll print that out, laminate it, and throw it up on the door.

usaf0906

imported post

Crash7795 wrote:
cbackous wrote:
+27

thats awesome!
It's even better in person. Come see for yourself. Bring your dog. ;)

426 Newtown Rd, near the intersection with VA Beach Blvd. Look for the big sign with the dog in the bathtub. :p
i'll take you up on that offer :)

Crash7795

imported post

Crash7795 wrote:
cbackous wrote:
+27

thats awesome!
It's even better in person. Come see for yourself. Bring your dog. ;)

426 Newtown Rd, near the intersection with VA Beach Blvd. Look for the big sign with the dog in the bathtub. :p
I think we just had our first visual deterrent event due to the signs on our door. I heard the beep of the door opening, and looked up just in time to see a guy backing out of the doorway to doubletake at the signs. He scanned one, then the other, then <<POOF>> gone. I barely had time to register that he was in some pretty rough-looking street clothes, although I did see that he didn't have a dog with him. Interesting. If what I think happened just happened, I'm glad. I have no desire to be punching .45 holes in anyone today. Not that I wouldn't, but you know. Might have a negative effect on my business traffic.

On a flip note, I did have a couple comment on the signs yesterday. She said, "Oh, that's so cool! First ones I've seen like that." They told me they're pro-2A, and wished more businesses had signs up in support.

Hendu024

imported post

I had a guy come in yesterday and ask me if he could take pictures of the 2 signs on our door. He said they were the coolest signs he's ever seen.

I also had a lady last week say "You would think with all the dogs in and out of here you wouldn't have to worry about someone robbing you." To which I responded, "You never know, dumber things have happened." She left it at that and I couldn't tell if she was for or against it, but then again, I don't really care.

Crash7795

imported post

Had another lady come in today, and after coming through the door, she turned around and read the sign from the inside. She turned back around to face me and said, "That's a great sign." I told her, "Yeah, we figured it was only fair to warm 'em once." To which she replied, "It ought to be the last and only warning they get." Priceless.

Funny, I was initially worried about negative customer response (not that it slowed me down any), but all of our responses so far have been positive. Maybe the anti's are just afraid of getting shot... :p

Hendu024

imported post

Couple of updates... So far with the signs on the door, we've had no really negative responses. I had a guy in here yesterday that said he really liked them, and one of our regulars finally noticed it and she said something like "Do you really have firearms in here? Doesn't your guard dog do enough?" She was being sarcastic about my dog btw, he's a 70lb sissy of a pitbull, but I couldn't tell if she was against it or just not educated. I avoided the question anyway, I didn't feel like getting into it.

Also, last night around closing time, I looked out the window and saw this P.O.S. old Buick back into a parking spot across from my store, and the 2 guys in it just sat there waiting. I figured they were waiting for someone, and sure enough, 10 minutes later a guy pulls next to them. They were being so blatant about selling whatever they were selling, it just kind of pissed me off. I watched the hand to hand transaction, and the guy just starts counting money right out in the open! And then they wonder how they get caught...

I just decided I wasn't getting involved, and gave the Va. Beach cops a call. I got the tag #'s and all that, they were gone when the cops showed up. I had a good conversation with 2 officers, while OC'ing the whole time. One of them asked if I was a DCJS security guard working the strip mall. After I told him I was just one of the business owners, he said "Oh, so you're just carrying because you can, then?" I said "Yes sir, just excersizing my 2A right." He just gave me a nod and said "Right on." and that was it. I thought it was a pretty cool encounter overall. They are also going to be setting up some UC's to try and keep the crackheads at bay. Good day all in all...