• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bank Robbed in Fairfax

nova

imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
t11spanner wrote:
1230 Hours

Allfirst Bank, on Shoppes Lane in FFX, Fair Oaks area.

From what I heard, a #1 Male, 35-40 years old, about 6'10, well built and thin, orange shirt, mask.

Displayed a Oak Wood and silver handgun.

Carl

The robber is almost SEVEN FEET TALL???
For a minute I thought it was me! I'm a few inches shorter than that but I've been known to carry a stainless handgun. Good thing I'm not thin, and I was in Reston all day yesterday NOT robbing banks :)

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

Almost all bank robberies are "lone bandits". "Takeovers" are rare, but they do happen, and statistically, they are much more dangerous. They also are much more psychologically damaging to those present. Still, the overwhelming majority of them result in no injuries as well.

Again,the key is to create an environment where the robber can GET OUT quickly. The real danger starts when a robber is "stuck" in a branch. Depending on the institution, most branch staff practice full-scale robberies atleast once per quarter.

LEO 229

imported post

nova wrote:
For a minute I thought it was me! I'm a few inches shorter than that but I've been known to carry a stainless handgun. Good thing I'm not thin, and I was in Reston all day yesterday NOT robbing banks :)

Sure you were.... Sure..... :p

I little face paint and a girdle..... it could be you!!

Riana

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
nova wrote:

:what:That'd be one helluva girdle. (No offense intended, nova) :lol:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
wrote:
23-year-old suspect arrested in Minneapolis bank heist
Police traced a license number to a south Minneapolis home and waited there until one of the suspects showed up

Staff report

Last update: July 29, 2009

Police arrested a 23-year-old Minneapolis man Tuesday afternoon after he and three other men allegedly held up the U.S. Bank branch at 4930 34th Av. S. in Minneapolis, authorities said.

Police said they believe the suspect was part of a group that had robbed the same bank twice before and also had robbed a bank in St. Paul.

Minneapolis Police Sgt. William Palmer called the latest one a "takeover-style robbery" in which four men entered with either rifles or shotguns, ordered customers to the floor, punched a teller in the face and jumped over the bank's counter before taking an undisclosed amount of cash.

The bank also was robbed April 3 and May 8, and some of the same robbers are believed responsible. Police believe the group also is linked to a bank robbery in St. Paul, said FBI spokesman E.K. Wilson.

According to the FBI, Minnesota has logged 17 bank robberies...
Almost all bank robberies are "lone bandits". "Takeovers" are rare, but they do happen, and statistically, they are much more dangerous. They also are much more psychologically damaging to those present. Still, the overwhelming majority of them result in no injuries as well.

Again,the key is to create an environment where the robber can GET OUT quickly. The real danger starts when a robber is "stuck" in a branch. Depending on the institution, most branch staff practice full-scale robberies atleast once per quarter.

What percentage would you estimate are "takeovers?" 1%? 2%?

It would seem to me that many "takeovers" would result in injury to someone, since the robbers would probably find it beneficial to establish fear and shock in order to gain compliance of the group quickly and definitively. So, as in the above case, punching a teller or other employee might be a standard tactic.

I definitely see the wisdom of a statistically-based be compliant and let 'em get out approach. I'm even willing to bet my life and be instantly compliant, even with a loaded handgun in my possession. But a "takeover" and possibly some other types of robberies would seem to call for some discrimination in how to react.

What kinds of defensive approaches can be useful for the "takeover" situation, SST? Is it the same as the routine robberies: BCALEGO? That's definitely rolling the dice.

In the case cited above, certainly, a lone armed law abiding citizen against 4 guys with guns is a disaster waiting to happen. Two armed law abiding citizens would be about the same.

This case has me thinking. The best idea that comes to me so far for a situation where 4 hooligan-looking guys walk in the front door with rifles/shotguns is to instantly head for the emergency exit and blow through it at top speed. I mean, really fast. 1 second would probably be too long. Any hesitation at all sets up a terrible dilemma: surrender by getting on the floor in a defenseless position and a shootout with the odds overwhelmingly against the good guy.

I don't know if this tactic is really a good one. I'll have to think about it. One thing I'm fairly sure of is that instantaneous decision-making is called for. One, maybe 2 seconds is all I might get....

ccunning

imported post

Back on topic, I thought I would post this as it differs slightly from info posted previously:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/news-releases/2009/072909bankrob.htm

Bank Robbed in Fair Lakes Area
[align=left]Fair Oaks Police District – Employees of the Alliance Bank, located at 12735 Shoppes Lane, were robbed on Wednesday, July 29. A man wearing a mask entered the bank around 12:25 p.m., produced a handgun and demanded money. The suspect took an undisclosed amount of cash and fled on foot. There were no injuries. [/align] [align=left] The suspect was described as black and extremely tall, possibly over 6 feet 5 inches tall, with a muscular build. He was wearing an orange long-sleeved shirt, blue jeans and white and navy-colored tennis shoes. [/align] [align=left] [/align] [align=left] Anyone with information is asked to contact Crime Solvers by phone at 1-866-411-TIPS/8477, e-mail at http://www.fairfaxcrimesolvers.org or text “TIP187” plus your message to CRIMES/274637 or call Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131. [/align]

SicSemperTyrannis

imported post

HankT wrote:
SicSemperTyrannis wrote:
wrote:
23-year-old suspect arrested in Minneapolis bank heist
Police traced a license number to a south Minneapolis home and waited there until one of the suspects showed up

Staff report

Last update: July 29, 2009

Police arrested a 23-year-old Minneapolis man Tuesday afternoon after he and three other men allegedly held up the U.S. Bank branch at 4930 34th Av. S. in Minneapolis, authorities said.

Police said they believe the suspect was part of a group that had robbed the same bank twice before and also had robbed a bank in St. Paul.

Minneapolis Police Sgt. William Palmer called the latest one a "takeover-style robbery" in which four men entered with either rifles or shotguns, ordered customers to the floor, punched a teller in the face and jumped over the bank's counter before taking an undisclosed amount of cash.

The bank also was robbed April 3 and May 8, and some of the same robbers are believed responsible. Police believe the group also is linked to a bank robbery in St. Paul, said FBI spokesman E.K. Wilson.

According to the FBI, Minnesota has logged 17 bank robberies...

What percentage would you estimate are "takeovers?" 1%? 2%?

It would seem to me that many "takeovers" would result in injury to someone, since the robbers would probably find it beneficial to establish fear and shock in order to gain compliance of the group quickly and definitively. So, as in the above case, punching a teller or other employee might be a standard tactic.

I definitely see the wisdom of a statistically-based be compliant and let 'em get out approach. I'm even willing to bet my life and be instantly compliant, even with a loaded handgun in my possession. But a "takeover" and possibly some other types of robberies would seem to call for some discrimination in how to react.

What kinds of defensive approaches can be useful for the "takeover" situation, SST? Is it the same as the routine robberies: BCALEGO? That's definitely rolling the dice.

In the case cited above, certainly, a lone armed law abiding citizen against 4 guys with guns is a disaster waiting to happen. Two armed law abiding citizens would be about the same.

This case has me thinking. The best idea that comes to me so far for a situation where 4 hooligan-looking guys walk in the front door with rifles/shotguns is to instantly head for the emergency exit and blow through it at top speed. I mean, really fast. 1 second would probably be too long. Any hesitation at all sets up a terrible dilemma: surrender by getting on the floor in a defenseless position and a shootout with the odds overwhelmingly against the good guy.

I don't know if this tactic is really a good one. I'll have to think about it. One thing I'm fairly sure of is that instantaneous decision-making is called for. One, maybe 2 seconds is all I might get....

Start on page 9:

http://www.cops.usdoj.gov/files/RIC/Publications/e03071267.pdf

nova

imported post

Riana wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
nova wrote:

:what:That'd be one helluva girdle. (No offense intended, nova) :lol:
haha none taken :lol:

Tomahawk

imported post

HankT wrote:
I'm even willing to bet my life and be instantly compliant, even with a loaded handgun in my possession. But a "takeover" and possibly some other types of robberies would seem to call for some discrimination in how to react.

As the old saying goes: Proper preparation prevents pisspoor performance.

If you really want to avoid the awful dilemma you need to make sure you've always gota clear line to the fire exit. But is that paranoid? Doesn't that get impracticle if taken too far? A little survivalism here and there's not a bad thing, but at some point you have to relax and get on with the daily business of life.

So if you can't make it to the fire exit and wind up trapped in a room with 4 psychopaths who have zero respect for your life, you've really got no other choice but to fight like hell and hope for the best.

The recent incident with the OC'r in Richmond is a good demonstration of how some bad guys will just shoot people for the hell of it, without even asking for compliance. In that case, the man shot the clerk instantly upon walking in and during the gunfight that followed, he walked around pointing his gun at people who were hugging the floor trying to stay alive.Such a person is a wild animal in that moment and you cannot count on their kind nature.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
SNIP In that case, the man shot the clerk instantly upon walking in and during the gunfight that followed, he walked around pointing his gun at people who were hugging the floor trying to stay alive.Such a person is a wild animal in that moment and you cannot count on their kind nature.
I guess the Brady Campaign must feel some kindred spirit with them--wanting to render the rest of us defenseless against them and all.

2a4all

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
SNIP In that case, the man shot the clerk instantly upon walking in and during the gunfight that followed, he walked around pointing his gun at people who were hugging the floor trying to stay alive.Such a person is a wild animal in that moment and you cannot count on their kind nature.
I guess the Brady Campaign must feel some kindred spirit with them--wanting to render the rest of us defenseless against them and all.
We can "one-up" the Brady Campaign by proposing legislation that makes it illegal to carry a handgun in your hand while in a business establishment.

Oh, wait. We already have that law: isn't it called brandishing? :banghead:

ChinChin

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
Fairfax Police are COVERING UP:
A Murder.
They released this today (Page 7):
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/crime/incident-reports/2009/activity_report_08-07-09.pdf

This scumbag actually took 2 hostages and killed one of them!!!

In fact, a girl was murdered after being taken hostage along w/ one other person(not injured). Cite:
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs193.snc1/6493_700098245419_7803103_41497242_3240591_n.jpg
I think ufcfanvt may be having a "ha-ha" at your expense. The clipping is from a "make your own headline" online service.

http://www.fodey.com/generators/newspaper/snippet.asp