Thread: Who is Amtrak owned by?

Post imported post

I wasn't able to come across anything in the F.A.Q'.s regarding carrying on an Amtrak train, or other train which operates outside of the state.

Seeing how they operate throughout the U.S., it would lead me to believe that it is unlawful to carry concealed on a train, even with a C.P.L.

Sorry if this has been posted on here in the past. I did my best to search, but wasn't able to find anything.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Amtrak is a corporation created by Congress. It is incorporated in Washington, DC. The attached document tells how and what it is.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

By what authority can they ban weapons? There is no screening process.....
    MY last trip to Spokane and Vancouver I CC'd.

As long as I didn't leave WA on the train I just assumed my CPL was good. I do know that you cannot carry a gun on a train in Montana - forgot where I heard or read that.

Post imported post

There is no screening process.....
    Yet... :-( It's probably coming.

I do know that you cannot carry a gun on a train in Montana
    Glad I never heard that...

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

Post imported post

kparker wrote: After looking at this link I find that firearms are prohibited on AMTRAK. Ain't THAT a kick in the head?
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

I still don't understand how the Feds justify banning the second amendment. I go into the DMV here in Washington and they can't kick me out because Washington law assures my right to carry, I walk into a post office and there are problems because the federal constitution has no mention of keeping or bearing arms. I have an idea guys we should try to make an amendment to the U.S. constitution that permits firearms to be carried.

Post imported post

That would be the Second Amendment.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Post imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
    I still don't understand how the Feds justify banning the second amendment. I go into the DMV here in Washington and they can't kick me out because Washington law assures my right to carry, I walk into a post office and there are problems because the federal constitution has no mention of keeping or bearing arms. I have an idea guys we should try to make an amendment to the U.S. constitution that permits firearms to be carried.
    DUHHHH!

Post imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
    The problem with the Post Office isn't the Constitution or even Federal USC statute. It's the stupid Post Office code. The federal laws that cover carrying on federal property exempt Post Offices from this rule. Presumably because it is intended for the use of the public. However Post Office code prohibits it.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Bookman wrote:
    kparker wrote: After looking at this link I find that firearms are prohibited on AMTRAK. Ain't THAT a kick in the head?
    its still not a crime to carry on AMTRAK unless state law makes it a crime.

Post imported post

Bookman wrote:
    I read nothing that says firearms are prohibited on your person, only in your bags.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    I read nothing that says firearms are prohibited on your person, only in your bags.
    Looks clear cut to me...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Bookman wrote:
    This federal law says you can not have a firearm on your person.

Sec. 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier

Provided, That any passenger
    who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported
    aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the
    custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or
    contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any
    provision of this part.

So, federal law requires you to check your firearm with the conductor on an train, but Amtrak policy will not allow the checking of firearms.

It seems like you have three choices with Amtrak.

1. Do not bring a firearm.

2. Check firearm hidden inside you baggage. It seems the only penalty Amtrak can use against you is to kick you off the train if they discover it.

3. Break a Federal law and carry on your person and hope you do not get caught.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Would that only apply if you are traveling interstate?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
    That's been my thought... Interstate vs. Intrastate

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:

I do not know if this law has been challenged in case where someone travelled intrastate.

However I can guess that since Amtrak is an Interstate carrier and every train route that I know off that they have goes through several states often transversing the nation East/West or North/South. A prosecutor would argue that you were within a vehicle of interstate commerce even if you got on and off in stops in your state, and a judge and or jury might agree with him.

By the way I am not a lawyer and all the standard disclaimers. Maybe one out there might know of a case where this has been challenged.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I realise now that I should have posted the entire subsection of the law. It seems that if you hold a FFL even a C&R FFL 03 than you are exempt from the law. Just as an FFL 03 you canship a firearm to yourself in another state without having to inform the carrier that it is a firearm. You can carry it upon yourself without having to tell the carrier that you have it.

Sec. 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to
    any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in
    interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed
    importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector,
    any package or other container in which there is any firearm or
    ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or
    ammunition is being transported or shipped: Provided, That any passenger
    who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported
    aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the
    custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or
    contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any
    provision of this part.

Post imported post

Sorry I'm really new to all of this... and have a dumb question or two now and then.

"I realize now that I should have posted the entire subsection of the law. It seems that if you hold a FFL even a C&R FFL 03 than you are exempt from the law. Just as an FFL 03 you canship a firearm to yourself in another state without having to inform the carrier that it is a firearm. You can carry it upon yourself without having to tell the carrier that you have it."

What is an FFL and a C&R FFL 03?

Post imported post

FFL = Federal Firearms License

C&R = Curios and Relics