• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who is Amtrak owned by?

Aaron1124

imported post

I wasn't able to come across anything in the F.A.Q'.s regarding carrying on an Amtrak train, or other train which operates outside of the state.

Seeing how they operate throughout the U.S., it would lead me to believe that it is unlawful to carry concealed on a train, even with a C.P.L.

Sorry if this has been posted on here in the past. I did my best to search, but wasn't able to find anything.

j2l3

imported post

Amtrak is a corporation created by Congress. It is incorporated in Washington, DC. The attached document tells how and what it is.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

By what authority can they ban weapons? There is no screening process.....
MY last trip to Spokane and Vancouver I CC'd.

As long as I didn't leave WA on the train I just assumed my CPL was good. I do know that you cannot carry a gun on a train in Montana - forgot where I heard or read that.

FunkTrooper

imported post

I still don't understand how the Feds justify banning the second amendment. I go into the DMV here in Washington and they can't kick me out because Washington law assures my right to carry, I walk into a post office and there are problems because the federal constitution has no mention of keeping or bearing arms. I have an idea guys we should try to make an amendment to the U.S. constitution that permits firearms to be carried.

Rattrapper

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
I still don't understand how the Feds justify banning the second amendment. I go into the DMV here in Washington and they can't kick me out because Washington law assures my right to carry, I walk into a post office and there are problems because the federal constitution has no mention of keeping or bearing arms. I have an idea guys we should try to make an amendment to the U.S. constitution that permits firearms to be carried.
DUHHHH!

sirpuma

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
The problem with the Post Office isn't the Constitution or even Federal USC statute. It's the stupid Post Office code. The federal laws that cover carrying on federal property exempt Post Offices from this rule. Presumably because it is intended for the use of the public. However Post Office code prohibits it.:banghead:

vmaxanarchist

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Bookman wrote:
kparker wrote:
After looking at this link I find that firearms are prohibited on AMTRAK. Ain't THAT a kick in the head?
I read nothing that says firearms are prohibited on your person, only in your bags.

This federal law says you can not have a firearm on your person.

Sec. 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier

Provided, That any passenger
who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported
aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the
custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or
contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any
provision of this part.

So, federal law requires you to check your firearm with the conductor on an train, but Amtrak policy will not allow the checking of firearms.

It seems like you have three choices with Amtrak.

1. Do not bring a firearm.

2. Check firearm hidden inside you baggage. It seems the only penalty Amtrak can use against you is to kick you off the train if they discover it.

3. Break a Federal law and carry on your person and hope you do not get caught.

vmaxanarchist

Campaign Veteran
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Would that only apply if you are traveling interstate?

I do not know if this law has been challenged in case where someone travelled intrastate.

However I can guess that since Amtrak is an Interstate carrier and every train route that I know off that they have goes through several states often transversing the nation East/West or North/South. A prosecutor would argue that you were within a vehicle of interstate commerce even if you got on and off in stops in your state, and a judge and or jury might agree with him.

By the way I am not a lawyer and all the standard disclaimers. Maybe one out there might know of a case where this has been challenged.

vmaxanarchist

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I realise now that I should have posted the entire subsection of the law. It seems that if you hold a FFL even a C&R FFL 03 than you are exempt from the law. Just as an FFL 03 you canship a firearm to yourself in another state without having to inform the carrier that it is a firearm. You can carry it upon yourself without having to tell the carrier that you have it.

Sec. 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to
any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in
interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed
importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector,
any package or other container in which there is any firearm or
ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or
ammunition is being transported or shipped: Provided, That any passenger
who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported
aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the
custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or
contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any
provision of this part.

brianstone1985

imported post

Sorry I'm really new to all of this... and have a dumb question or two now and then.

"I realize now that I should have posted the entire subsection of the law. It seems that if you hold a FFL even a C&R FFL 03 than you are exempt from the law. Just as an FFL 03 you canship a firearm to yourself in another state without having to inform the carrier that it is a firearm. You can carry it upon yourself without having to tell the carrier that you have it."

What is an FFL and a C&R FFL 03?