• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armed courier?

antispam540

imported post

Does anyone know what, if anything, is required to advertise armed courier services? Would it make you a "security guard" and require the associated licensing?

If patrons could simply request that their courier be armed, is that the same thing?

joeroket

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I think you'd have to pass the test for private investigators, armed security, etc, to get the license/permit for that industry.  Once you did that, you'd probably be fine.

Exactly. You have to be pass a test to become licensed as an armed security guard.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Armed security also requires a bond.

My company is antigun, yet the armed security guard for the ATM is allowed to walk right in. So I checked into what you have to do to be a armed security guard. I got licensed, hired as a part time guard as the same ATM supply company and put up a bond.... I still can't carry at my company....

WA state info:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/securityguards/sggetarmed.html

FMCDH

imported post

Ahh yes, the armed "security guard". :)

You can advertise yourself as "An Armed Courier Service", as long as you don't try to pass yourself off in any way as being state licensed. I'm sure you are familiar with the myriad of security companies that have their own patrol cars wandering around the state with the words... certified, bonded and insured, painted or laminated on the side or back.

Without a state licenses, you are not, and you cannot advertise yourself as being so. BUT that being said, there is no law what so ever keeping you from hiring yourself out as an "Armed"....whatever.

You simply have to carry just like everyone else. You have to disclose your "private contractor" status to any customer, and you don't get the same nifty protections like would licensed security.

Contract security is basically what you would be doing (assuming your courier service is your own business), and is a whole world in and of itself because you are taking on the entire responsibility and liability if anything happens.

Give me a PM and I will talk to you about the ups and downs of that world, provided you are serious. :cool: