Thread: OT: Local Media bias against privately owned guns

State Researcher

Post imported post

Admittedly off topic for an OC list, but interesting enough I thought I'd share it anyway.

Ok, so we're all familiar with the media bias against guns and gun owners. How about this for a subtle, but stark example right here at home.

Last week a homeowner shot a home invader. KSL referred to the shot criminal as a "shooting 'victim'."
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=7241132

Today, a story about police shooting a criminal. Guess what, no mention of the word "victim".
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=7334275

So if a homeowner shoots a home invader, the invader becomes a "shooting victim" in the eyes of KSL. But if a criminal is shot by the police he is merely a "man shot by police."
    And I'd bet nobody at KSL even recognizes their bias on this.

Charles

Edit to correct terrible spacing.
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Post imported post

From what I have read in the past, KSL is usually pretty neutral when it comes to gun-related stories.

On the other hand, The Deseret News and The Salt Lake Tribune make no mistake when it comes to their position. :?
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

I canceled my subscription to the Deseret News once the anti-gun article came out.
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"