• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

XDM and Serpa Holster does work.

Dustin

imported post

I know some are wondering if it works. It works just fine. I use the Serpa for Range and in the future production matches.

The Black Hawk Serpa Carbon Fiber Finish Level II

BTW The red on my gun is from heating up the barrel and slide and then running a red crayon over the engravings.

serpaholster001.jpg

serpaholster002.jpg

serpaholster003.jpg

serpaholster004.jpg

serpaholster007.jpg

I was using the holster that came with it,

p1010135qb0.jpg

Bustelo5%

imported post

Why dont you like using the holster it came with?

Do you like ur XD I was thinking about getting one but I wasent sure if they were worth the money same thing for serpa holsters,seems kinda odd to pay over 10 bucks for plastic.

Dustin

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
Why dont you like using the holster it came with?

Do you like ur XD I was thinking about getting one but I wasent sure if they were worth the money same thing for serpa holsters,seems kinda odd to pay over 10 bucks for plastic.

To be specific this is the XDm not the XD. Both are Awesome Guns IMO and in the opinion of many others. I like them b/c I feel they picked up were Glock customers were not happy. XD's have a back safety, striker indicator, and loaded indicator. The trigger is crisp and breaks smooth. Better Grip angle etc.Lots of accessories out there and it's a Springfield! Hello McFly!

Don't let anyone feed you that BS about them being made in Croatia either. The lower frames are MOLDED there, but the slides and assembly are done here in the states. Plus Springfield Armoryis an AMERICAN company. IMO it's better than giving your money straight to another country. Which is also why I won't own an AK. It's the gun of our sworn enemy.

The holster it comes with is great, but in order to have some retention value you have to tightened down on the allen screw to make it squeeze the trigger guard tighter. With the serpa it locks into place and cannot be released UNLESS the trigger is depressed. Also once depressed it's completely FREE. No Pull hard and twist turn to get it out. Just depress and draw.

HOWEVER, I DO NOT reccomend this holster for Open Carry. Range/Match OK but not for your daily open carry.

I firmly belive that all OC.ers should wear a Level III holster when OC.ing on normal daily business.

Hunting, Fishing, ranges etc. I wear the Level II.

Bustelo5%

imported post

HELLO MCFLY lol I love that movie I need to buy a dmc there is a place that works on ther ehere in ohio.
Anyways,thanks for the response you bring up some really good stuff about the XDM when I talk to most people I dont usally get straight anwsers about why they like a certian gun,normally its,mer mer mer its a glock the police carry it thats why I have blerr bler bulb.
I find the back saftey a little weird,is there a manuel saftey on there also? I think the Army should go to using a side arm that has a back saftey for sure with the amount of abuse you put on it and idk how many have been accidently shot from their weapon in combat but I bet that the XDM would handle pretty well.

I was actually going to get a M19 holster just a regular mil issue side arm holster with the flap over it,I thought that would do some good in case someone tried to hijack my piece.

What is above a level three retention? is there anything that has some out that tops that?

Magix

imported post

HOWEVER, I DO NOT reccomend this holster for Open Carry. Range/Match OK but not for your daily open carry.
Out of curiosity, why not? I use one for OC and it works fine.

Dustin

imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
I find the back saftey a little weird,is there a manuel saftey on there also?
I think the Army should go to using a side arm that has a back saftey for sure with the amount of abuse you put on it and idk how many have been accidently shot from their weapon in combat but I bet that the XDM would handle pretty well.
I was actually going to get a M19 holster just a regular mil issue side arm holster with the flap over it,I thought that would do some good in case someone tried to hijack my piece.
What is above a level three retention? is there anything that has some out that tops that?
1: There is NO manual ON/OFF safety on the XDM. Although there is a few things that need to happen before the weapon will fire. First the back safety will have to be depressed inwards, the USA Trigger will have to be pulled. When the first two are done, internaly a plate that sits between the striker and primer is removed so the weapon can fire. Glocks are similar in this regard. Basically you can throw them down on the ground or drop them out of an airplane(Has been done) and they WILL NOT FIRE. The plate will remain in place unitl the first two steps are done.

2: They did, it's called the 1911 pictured below.

colt1911.jpg

3: That is a fantastic holster for retention value, but might cost you some time on your draw. Weigh your options.

4: Nothing, well not within reason.

Level one retention is a thumb snap. One thing/motion to clear before your able to draw the firearm.

policestuff_2061_63291756

Level two retention is a thumb snap plus one other type of retention. It could be a internal and clamps over the trigger guard or external and slides over the back of the trigger guard. Two things/motions to clear in order to draw the firearm.

The Serpa CQCabove and/or a holster with a backstrap below.

opplanet-safariland-6280-level-ii-retention-mid-ride-holster-stx-tac-black-right-hand-628-ceefac.jpg

Level three retention has a thumb snap, internal clamp for the trigger guard and one more external snap behind the trigger guard. Three things/motions to clear in order to draw the firearm.

Level%20iii%20xiphos.jpg

Check out the vid of an OCDO member drawing with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Vl2neJHqo

Or

saf_raptor_3.jpg

If there is no thumb snap or other retention and the firearm is held in place by friction it is not a retention holster.

Dustin

imported post

Magix wrote:
Out of curiosity, why not? I use one for OC and it works fine.

Simply b/c of the retention value or lack there of. IMO you should have the most rention value possible when carrying a firearm, especially OC.ing. It's not as if someone can easliy lift your shirt and unholster your piece if you were CC.ing.

OC.ers, (ALTHOUGH NOT OFTEN IF EVER) stand a greater chance of gun hijack than CC.ers. Like I said I've never even heard of it happening, however that's not how we lie our lives is it? Nope we prepare for the worst. The worst being someone trying to take your handgun from you. Which is why IMO you should OC with a Level III.

Then again, I've worn my Level II OC.ing around town(Small Town)before, but NOT in major Cities where most everyone is a stranger no way.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Ok now that I have read a ton of reviews and videos I understand now why many absolutely love the level three holsters.
I watched a video and I love the idea of the platform system that is genious,so you have a molle leg rig you got from your medic buddy you throw your beretta on in combat. Your belt breaks so you put the rig on your chest so you have options.I think the milirary had it right with the old MP style holsters but for a highly combat situation the level 2 or 3 will out preform the best.

Dustin

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Dustin, Do you have a credible source for this?

The lower frames are MOLDED there, but the slides and assembly are done here in the states.

I called their contact number and talked to customer service. A guy named David gave me that information back in 2006.

If the Slides were made there too, it would also have Made in Croatia/Brazil or whatever on it as well.

VAopencarry

imported post

hmmm, The entire gun was made in Croatia before Springfield bought the rights. It doesn't make sense that only the frames are made there now.

Kyle2009

imported post

Where did you buy your XD Serpa at w/ the carbon fiber. I have looked at a couple of other places and they don't display a picture.

david.ross

imported post

Dustin wrote:
Level two retention is a thumb snap plus one other type of retention. It could be a internal and clamps over the trigger guard or external and slides over the back of the trigger guard. Two things/motions to clear in order to draw the firearm.

The Serpa CQCabove and/or a holster with a backstrap below.

opplanet-safariland-6280-level-ii-retention-mid-ride-holster-stx-tac-black-right-hand-628-ceefac.jpg

the holster you linked is a SAFARILAND 6280!

If you're going to compare levels of retention, compare a single brand to itself.

The quality of a serpa is not that of a safariland.

Bustelo5%

imported post

What are your likes for Safriland? Especially for carrying a large duty gun like a hi cap XD.
I think your right about the SERPA its just seems flimsey especially the paddle holster I dont understand how it could be made of such crap. At least for the paddle portion.,

david.ross

imported post

Safariland is hoslters are mostly made from Kydex. The material is just better, stronger, and have many more available accessories so you can use safariland holsters almost anywhere. I don't use paddles... ever. I wear a duty belt and belt loop mount. Some ask me whether it's a bother to de-holster my belt, well I'm wearing two belts....

I explain duty belts and the two common types available here in the post below.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/26872-1.html#p455675

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6070

Watch the first video, you'll also see at the end the fellow draws with his weak hand. The third video goes over the holster security. The video doesn't show the add on bringing the system to a level V which is the SLS hood. The SLS Hood shouldn't bother anyone to draw with the weak hand.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/duty/mls.aspx

The MOLLE Locking System has a dual purpose. First you can mount the holster to a MOLLE equipped vest. Second you can buy receiver plates and place them anywhere you want. i.e. on a duty belt, wall, car, under a desk, or at a particular hiding spot. The fork attached with holster is removable, so you can move units around if you've multiple firearm holsters. The QLS 22 receiver will attach to the UBL which was given with the holster.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Yeah your totally right it seems to be made out of a way better material than blackhawk serpas although I think the price is what gets me for the 6070 thats a hefty price of an average ebay price of $70. The concepts are really good and there is defintly much more versitility in the safariland products.

FHBrumb

imported post

Dustin wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
Dustin, Do you have a credible source for this?

The lower frames are MOLDED there, but the slides and assembly are done here in the states.

I called their contact number and talked to customer service. A guy named David gave me that information back in 2006.

If the Slides were made there too, it would also have Made in Croatia/Brazil or whatever on it as well.

Doesn't the little "seal" in front of the ejection port, on top, say Croatia? My XD-45 does... The XDm is different?