• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

discharging of firearms

spartans

imported post

In AZ where are you not allowed to discharge a firearm?

Or rather, can you shoot (outside of an urban area), off the side of the road? is there a law about beinga certain distance from the road?

can you hunt pretty much anywhere in the desert? (revervations aside)?

r6-rider

imported post

lol man you sound like your headed for trouble with the questions you've been asking, good thing you came here first.

yea dont shoot off the roads, if you want to free shoot go way out in the desert. theres a good spot in buckeye and a spot off the 17 i forgot what off ramp though but its pretty north of phoenix.

i dont know about hunting i never looked into it but someone will answer it soon

TOF

imported post

The rules are spelled out in the hunting laws I provided a link for some time back.

Cities have their specific rules about where you can hunt and with what inside their boundries. Outside City limits State laws apply. Don't shoot from , across or into any public road. Don't shoot within 1/4 mile of houses. Don't shoot our Cactus.

Use some common sense and know where your bullets will end up at.

Dahwg

imported post

State law prohibits you from firing a weapon within any municipality unless you're discharging the firearm in accordance in self defense as codified in chapter 4 of Title 13 of the Arizona Revised statutes.

As stated above you cannot discharge within 1/4 mile of any structure that could be occupied and this includes automobiles if I recall correctly.

spartans

imported post

it has been rather challenging learning the firearm laws for 5 states, and keeping them seperate (this did not include the States we will just be travelling through).

Though the vast majority of them make sense, I want to be sure of everything.

Thank you for all your help these past few months.

Crossfire Jedi

imported post

Any of you live near Prescott? We are planning on renting a home up there for a weekend, I was planning on bringing the .22 with me for some plinkn. As far as I can tell the house is not near anyone else...out of the city. Can I do that?

TOF

imported post

Crossfire Jedi wrote:
Any of you live near Prescott? We are planning on renting a home up there for a weekend, I was planning on bringing the .22 with me for some plinkn. As far as I can tell the house is not near anyone else...out of the city. Can I do that?

There is National Forest in the area so you should be able to find a spot. I am not close enough to the area to be able to suggest specific spots though.

Obtain a Prescott National Forest Map and go looking.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott/recreation/

Enjoy the cooler conditions. :celebrate

AZkopper

imported post

The 1/4 mile rule ONLY applies to hunting. You can shoot off your back porch as long as you have a good backdrop, and there is nothing in the immediate vicinity of the shooting. The opperative ARS section is reckless discharge (13-2904A6). Is where you are shooting a reckless act?

ARS13-3107A (unlawful discharge) only covers shooting within municipal limits. Within town limits, there is a 1 mile rule.

Michigander

imported post

The thing you'll want to be careful of is fire danger. If the state feels there is a high risk of a fire where and when you're shooting, they can and will ticket you. You can call ahead of time to find out if they'll let you shoot where you'll be. You can also do what most people I've seen in the desert do, and that is be very careful where and what you shoot at, and watch out for rangers.

Whatever you do, please don't be the dumb ass that makes the news for causing a huge wild fire.

me812

imported post

The thing you'll want to be careful of is fire danger. If the state feels there is a high risk of a fire where and when you're shooting, they can and will ticket you. You can call ahead of time to find out if they'll let you shoot where you'll be. You can also do what most people I've seen in the desert do, and that is be very careful where and what you shoot at, and watch out for rangers.

Whatever you do, please don't be the dumb ass that makes the news for causing a huge wild fire.

I could be wrong, but I think only steel jacketed bullets throw sparks. One of the reasons some ranges ban them is because of the fire hazard. If you're shooting lead and copper, you shouldn't have any problems.