• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying a flashlight? Poll!

Do you carry a flashlight at night while opencarrying?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

office888

imported post

Simple question:

Do you carry a flashlight while open-carrying at night?

If indicated yes, please say which model, rough price, lumens, and what you like/dislike about this flashlight.

I carry a Surefire 6P. It cost about $70 with tax, and produces about 60 lumens. It's discrete, and extremely bright. I carry it in my pocket with the lamp sticking out usually so I can whip it out fast. On the downside, it eats 123A lithium batteries like crazy (Maybe 2 hours of life before it gets dim?), and those are about $4 for two.

-Richard-

maahes

imported post

lol "while open carrying at night", how about all the time? :p
I carry a Gerber Firecracker at all times, what computer tech doesnt have a flashlight handy? $20 ish runs on one AA battery and lasts forever, Ive had it for 3 years and mabee replaced the battery 2x. Also: "Brightness (lux @ 2 meters)59.7" whatever that translates to.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

maahes wrote:
lol "while open carrying at night", how about all the time? :p 
I carry a Gerber Firecracker at all times, what computer tech doesnt have a flashlight handy? $20 ish runs on one AA battery and lasts forever, Ive had it for 3 years and mabee replaced the battery 2x. Also: "Brightness (lux @ 2 meters)59.7" whatever that translates to.

+1 I carry mine all the time too (sysadmin).

I also have a 60-lumen AAA flashlight on my keychain. A Fenix L0D-CE (sense a pattern, here?)

spectr019

imported post

The Glock under barrel accessory rail light fits perfectly on my Brownings. I won't have it on the gun when holstered, but I'll keep it in a pocket and throw it on if I need to.

Ben

spectr019

imported post

The Glock under barrel accessory rail light fits perfectly on my Brownings.Costabout $100, comes with the batteries it needs and a neat little case. Have had it for over a year and havn'thad any signs of the batteries dying on me yet. I won't have it on the gun when holstered, but I'll keep it in a pocket and throw it on if I need to.

Ben

discerningshootist

imported post

I carry a Brite-Strike protector series flashlight, it's LED with C4 comparable technology, runs 120 lumens continuous, has high , low, and strobe settings, runs on ONE AA battery.I use rechargeable in mine, runs about an hour and a half longer than suggested. Best part is the cost:$100 MSRP.This is the best all around personal defense light there is, that's why I carry it in my store.

I carry it in a Simply Rugged light holster, $20.

MOC people, if you want one, check out my ebay store:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/The-Discerning-Shootist

they'll be listed by this evening.

Scott
The Discerning Shootist:

ghostrider

imported post

Flashlights! Did you say flashlights?

Baaaad juju my friend.

I usually have either one of these hanging from a carabineer on my belt (Gerber Infinity).
http://gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/5 (Mine’s a little different, but it’s basically the same body and idea. They’ve just changed them a little since I got mine. I should have bought about four of them when I had the chance.) , or a Gerber light that looks like a Inova Microlight clone with body armor. I don't know how many lumens the infinity gets, but the run time is supposed to be around 25 hours. It looks like flashlighreviews said it's about 3 lumens. Paid $9 for the infinity, and $4 for the micro light along with another one that was red.

Then there are the three in my pack:

That includes the camouflaged version of this (Coast Tac Torch):
http://www.coastportland.com/displayProduct.php?prodid=268&prodnums=%BF934%A1933%A1902%A1268%A1264%A1263%A1260%A1271%A1272%A1274%A1275%A1261%A1262%BF&mastCat=5
Paid $20 for it, and looks to get around 50-60 lumens. It's supposed to get 100 hours run time on a set of batteries. I don't know if that's true, but they do last quite awhile.

A Nextorch T6A (Surefire 6P clone), and an Inova X5 . I also some times have a River Rock 2C floating around in there. Nextorch I was aroun $30 (+ a few extra for the crenulated bezel) and it gets around 50-60 lumens with a run time of about an hour. It isn't as white a beam as the 6P, but it can take Surefire lamp assemblies. I don't know what the lumens are on the X5, but I think I paid around $35 for it, and the run time is listed as "up to 20 hours".

When I’m walking around my neighborhood in the evening, in addition to the light hanging from the Caribiner, I’ll sometimes carry the Tac Torch in hand/pocket, and I’ll have a Surfire attached to my belt. The Surefire is a 6P with an A19 extension and a P91 bulb (200 lumens, and My friend, if you think your 6P has a short run time, I get 20 minutes, By the time I got done with all the extras, it cost probably around $80). When the Surefire is not on my hip, it’s also in my pack (Always get a chuckle when the neighbor kid asks me why I carry a back pack). The River Rock probably gets around 20 Lumens, and is listed with a 10 hour run time.

Here’s the run down with pics.

Nightly walks:
I’ll carry one of the carabineers on a belt loop, and the Surefire. I’ll also often carry the Tac Torch (camouflage one).

Here’s what rides in my pack (goes where I go). The River Rock, and Surefire have designated places in the pack, but are loose.

These three ride in a pocket organizer which rides nicely in my pack.

Then of course there’s the Pelican case with extra batteries. ;)

OBTW:
I voted "no", because I don't OC, but I do carry a flashlight with me. Most times its one of the little ones, but at night the Surefire is bound to accompany me.

FogRider

imported post

I rarely have it with my during the day, but whenever I head outside at night (or it's going to be dark before I get home) I'll grab a minimag and drop it in my pocket.

Decoligny

imported post

Do you carry a flashlight while open-carrying at night? Yes
Which Model? Mini MagLight LED 2AA

Price? $26.00
Likes - small size, easy operation, very bright, can be used as a kobuton if needed.
Dislikes - would prefer a point on the end instead of a flat cap.

350__1_maglite-mini-led-3-aa.jpg

joe_robi

imported post

i keep a minimag holstered on my gun belt.
regular cheapo 5.00 minimag!
its never let me down, i even made one to fit my 870hd and wired it up to a pressure switch (right before i found them online).
the only complaint with the one i carry is that i need to get one of the on off switches for it, the screw switch takes a little more effort than the push button.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

LMAO! That has to be the funniest thing I ahve ever seen!!!!!! I'm still cracking up.
But, you forgot the satellite dish, night vision, first aid kit, and infrared.

I'm still LMAO. Do they make a holster to fit all that? You know someone is going to try to put all that stuff on their gun too.