• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Organizing a California Chapter of OC'ers

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hello all.

As I am sure you all know I am currently under charges related to my open carrying. Besides this, I wish to organize a California chapter of what will hope to be a national open carry organization.

OCDO is a great forum with some good minds, but they can't be everywhere and everything to everyone. California's intricacies are best dealt with by Californians who are here to do the fighting.

Here is the basics I have so far.
  • The organization would be a national one and the California chapter would run independant of the national organization.
  • Each chapter will elect its own representation at the local and national levels.
  • Each chapter will determine their own vision, goals and course of action.
There will be several specific functions of the local chapter and thus several divisions.
  • Public Relations/Marketing - Responsible for communicating with the public, media and government divisions. This may include press releases about events, correction of misinformation, advertising, etc. They will be responsible for the professional side of communication en mas.
  • Event Planning - Responsible for determining what forms of events, when, where and for what purpose.
  • Revenue/Membership - They would work with other divisions to gain new membership and find ways to bring or generate revenues.
  • Legal - Responsible for maintaining the legal status of the organization, the correctness of our publications and finances and membership allowing legal protection for out members.
  • Educational Initiative - They will be responsible for educating peoples and agencies about the legality of open carry.
  • Management - Responsible for the day to day management of the organization.
  • News - Responsible for keeping our members and the public informed on new legislation, and other relevant news.
I have no idea where we will really go with this. I am doing what I can, but as this is a movement we need people to make this work.

If you have anything of value to give or contribute I ask that you give. At this time the organization can't really use money until we can all agree on some basic things first. Right now we need people we might count on to fill the voids so that when we can organize we are ready and not waiting.

I will also mention, that at first the organization is only intending to promote group events. It is not because I don't agree with UOC, but because it is to much energy drawn from such a fledgling organization.

I can not control the idea of the organization once it gets started, but lets please help ensure that it can be successful before we kill it by bogging it down.

Is that a respectful request?

You can check out what I started OCRights.org

It is basic, and I could use some help there as well. This is the national organization, I had the domain CAOCRights, but I think we can just make each chapter a sub-domain like ca.ocrights.org. I will take suggestions.

Also, in the interest of not costing these founders money on our initiative I will likely open a forum for us to talk there.

coolusername2007

imported post

Theseus, nice site and you've obviously put a lot of thought and work into this. I respect your efforts, contributions and sacrifices. However, as I posted in another thread I think, IMHO, that working with opencarry.org to perhaps create a local chapter might be another, perhaps, slightly better avenue. Regardless, I'm sure your efforts won't be wasted and will have a positive effect for the movement.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Perhaps you are right in that we don't need to build a national organization, and I kind of felt that way as well. But we do need local solutions to our local problems and I don't see OCDO as a solution to those problems.

Perhaps someone can explain to me what OCDO can do for us other than some PR?

coolusername2007

imported post

Theseus wrote:
Perhaps you are right in that we don't need to build a national organization, and I kind of felt that way as well. But we do need local solutions to our local problems and I don't see OCDO as a solution to those problems.

Perhaps someone can explain to me what OCDO can do for us other than some PR?
Excellent question. Let's make a list and ask them. I'd be happy to work on it with you.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was going to have a cancer stick and then go to bed myself. Shoutcast is easy. . . Probably already broadcasting!