• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

There ARE bars in Tn

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I talked to a neighbor a couple days ago that frequents some of the local watering holes in this area and he told me that 2 of them rarely serve food. These are beer joints and do not serve liquor and wine. Perry County is dry, so beer is all that can be served by the drink for on site consumption. He told me that the one in Linden has a kitchen but rarely uses it. I think the other place is just across the county line in Humphreys County. Occassionally that one might grill hotdogs and hamburgers but that's it.

They definitely don't fall under the States definition of restaurants that serve alcohol.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Beer sales for on premises consumption isn't regulated by the state. It is regulated by the county or city beer boards. Thus, beer (only) joints do not have to meet the statedefinition of restaurant to serve unless the local beer board says so.

PITA, but what are you going to do? (you in general, not you TF16)

Now, if you are in a place where firearms are banned, and you have to use your weapon in self defense, you can't be prosecuted for having a weapon in a banned location if your self defense was justified.

Regards,

Pol

Fallguy

imported post

Pol is 100% correct.

It is a little mis-leading they way everyone talks about restaurants and alcohol. Many folks forget dry counties and places where only beer is served. 99.9% of those places are not going to meet the definition of a restaurant. But I think a lot of the people that have been against this law think you can carry in those places.

To be honest..I have wondered since all of this has come up, what places that do just serve beer are legally called, as TF16 eluded to, we all know what they are commonly called, beer joints, taverns, honky tonks etc.....

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I for one don't care for beer, so I won't be hanging out at any beer joints that don't serve food.

I've never been in either of the places the neighbor told me about, but I've driven by them often. He said that at the one just across the county line people are carrying their guns inside.

Given what Pol has stated, maybe the counties deal with this differently.

Fallguy

imported post

A place does not have tomeet the legal definition of arestaurant or even serve foodto sell beer for onsite consumption.

State law still prohibits the carry in places like that if they don't meet the defintions of a restaurant, so no individual county can choose to allow that or not.

Now, if you are talking about the Highway 412 grill in Decatur County, they are serving liquor by the drink, under the TN River resort act, even though Decatur County is a dry county. The 412 grill does meet the definitions of a restaurant by both the laws on liquor by the drink and handgun carry, so carry would be legal there, as long as you are not consuming.