• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

9th Circuit will re-hear Nordyke case en banc

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Good article Dave, one thing I was curious about though was the obvious population difference between Seattle and Chicago. So I did a little math.

594,210 Seattle's approximate population
2,836,658 Chicago's approximate population

Chicago's population is @ 4.77 times that of Seattle. Even if we multiple Seattle's murders by the population difference we get 133.56. that's still almost 1/4 that of Chicago's 509 homicides. (3.8)

Of course this was just a quick look at figures and not an in depth study.

joeroket

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Good article Dave, one thing I was curious about though was the obvious population difference between Seattle and Chicago. So I did a little math.

594,210 Seattle's approximate population
2,836,658 Chicago's approximate population

Chicago's population is @ 4.77 times that of Seattle. Even if we multiple Seattle's murders by the population difference we get 133.56. that's still almost 1/4 that of Chicago's 509 homicides. (3.8)

Of course this was just a quick look at figures and not an in depth study.
Ha I did the same thing earlier today. Seattle has a homicide rate of 1 per 21,500 residents. Seattle's population as of April 1 2009 was 602,000 people. Chicago has a homicide rate of 1 per 5605 residents. Their 2008 population was 2,853,114.

joeroket

imported post

Thats what I did at first also but then I realized the data was 9 years old so I dug into it. All in all the figures are not far enough apart to make one bit of difference.

FMCDH

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Actually makes it a little worse for Chicago since their population dropped but ours has increased.
Well yea! They keep killing people at a rate of 4.77 to 1. ;)