• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shipping Firearms

thx997303

imported post

I was looking at the ATF website, and came across this

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [ Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

So, would this mean I could ship my handgun to myself?

I do intend to use it for sporting purposes and other lawful activities.

But it says this elsewhere,

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [ Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30

I hate this crap, I should be able to just mail it to myself.

So anybody wann weigh in? I sent an e-mail to the ATF, so we'll see what they say.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
I was looking at the ATF website, and came across this

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [ Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

So, would this mean I could ship my handgun to myself?

I do intend to use it for sporting purposes and other lawful activities.

But it says this elsewhere,

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [ Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30

I hate this crap, I should be able to just mail it to myself.

So anybody wann weigh in? I sent an e-mail to the ATF, so we'll see what they say.
Yes, you can ship it to yourself c/o of another addressee. You just can't use USPS for handguns. The prohibition is in the USPS regs somewhere. It will only accept handguns from FFLs.

thx997303

imported post

So I do not have to go through an FFL since I'm shipping it UPS?

How would I address it aside from my address?

scorpioajr

imported post

thx997303 wrote:

How would I address it aside from my address?
When i sent my sigma into S&W to get the extractor replaced, i used UPS. I walked into a location with my gun in the OEM box (no ammo, no mags) and let them know what address it was going to and why and they kid packed it up for me no problems, no calls to the ATF - - go it back via UPS no problems.

thx997303

imported post

No they don't have anything like KSL, just freaking Craigs list.

I hate craigslist.

I don't have the money for a new gun, else I may be thinking about that Taurus 709 slim.

Course, a little leary of a new model taurus.

Wouldn't be that expensive to ship my gun, so long as I don't have to go through a FFL

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

thx997303 wrote:

No, you don't.

Here's a helpful link, with citation:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1

[excerpted]

B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[ style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

thx997303

imported post

Negative on the base housing, free chow, or lack of commute.

Been here so dang long, and gonna be here for a while longer, so I moved the pregnant wife. And baby daughter here.

My money has gone to the CWP I just sent my application in for.

thx997303

imported post

Come on guy, I just moved my family from Utah to Texas on my own dime. Give me a break.

Stop derailing my thread, I shall explain via PM. :)

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Come on guy, I just moved my family from Utah to Texas on my own dime. Give me a break.

Stop derailing my thread, I shall explain via PM. :)
Please? :? I'll make you an offer. Stop beating the dead "cows", and I'll stop derailing your threads. Deal?

thx997303

imported post

Oh, shoot. You are correct, I didn't give you the common courtesy of please. My apologies for the mistake.:)

They're UNdead cows. Come on guy:p

thx997303

imported post

For the record, the UN dead cows have remained UN dead. :)

And just cause I'm revisiting this thread, due to UPS not knowing their own rules, I ended up having to ship to an FFL. Cost too much and annoyed the heck out of me.

But, I have a CWP, my XD is here, and is not comfortable to conceal. Feel a lot better with it here than not though.

NewZealandAmerican

Greater Salt Lake City Metro area far south suburb
imported post

HankT wrote:
thx997303 wrote:

No, you don't.

Here's a helpful link, with citation:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1

[excerpted]

B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[ style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]
A hypothetical question, Could one easily mail a handgun via the Post office or common carrier like Fed-Ex without informing them that it is a firearm as long as the container is very secure? Does the Post office and common carriers X-ray packages to screen for firearms? Anyone in the know?