Thread: Michigan Counties that ban firearms from entire building

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

If we can get people to find out if their county courthouses bans firearms from the entirebuilding as opposed to just the court rooms.

All it takes is a call. Let me know either way, we want to find out which county courts are pro or anti gun.

Post the info on this thread. Thanks.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

The main county building for Ingham in Mason has a sign outside at all the entrances stating no firearms.

Post imported post

Saginaw county has sheriffs at the front entrance checking people.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Oakland county has a no firearms sign.

Post imported post

Jackson does as well, the guards stopped me at the entrance going through the metal detector and said I had to take my gun back to the car it wasn't allowed in the building even though I was going to the clerk not a court room.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Washtenaw county bans in their entire building as well. armed guards with metal detectors at the door.

Washtenaw County has a separate courts administrative building for handling things like CPLs. No metal detectors or security to worry about in that one.

Post imported post

Isabella county court house two officers and a metal detector.

Post imported post

Wayne county bans everything!!! Your lucky to go in with clothes on:what:
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Post imported post

Macomb County Circuit Court. Metal detectors at the entrance. Ban's everything.

40 North Main (1st Floor)
    Mount Clemens, MI 48043
    Phone Numbers:
    Circuit Court: 586-469-5351

Post imported post

Shiawassee county, located in the city of Corunna; Posted No weapons, guards and metal detector at the entrance.

Post imported post

Jackson County courthouse bans firearms. You have to walk through a metal detector just to get into the building.

Post imported post

Genesee county Court house metal detectors and sheriff dept search

Genesee County Office building signs and they use to have a sheriff person at a table no search, just intimidation.
    The use of force is a last resort. One aspect of violence is that it is unpredictable. Although your initial intention may be to use limited force, once you have engaged in violence the consequences are unpredictable. Violence always brings about unexpected results and almost always provokes retaliation.

Dalai Lama

http://www.generalnewsgroup.com/

Post imported post

Battle creek mi calhoun county no weapons allowed, no pointy things, no recorders, no cameras etc..... metal detector sheriff at the entrance....

Post imported post

Generaldet wrote:
    Oakland county has a no firearms sign.
    We need to get pictures there OCing after the picnic in Auburn Hills. :celebrate

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

OC bans everything in their buildings... including cell phones with camera's built in. You have to empty your pockets, the items are searched, and then you must pass through a metal detector. I had an OC Sheriff's deputy deny me access to the building becuase my cell phone has a camera.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Veritas wrote:
    OC bans everything in their buildings... including cell phones with camera's built in.* You have to empty your pockets, the items are searched, and then you must pass through a metal detector.* I had an OC Sheriff's deputy deny me access to the building becuase my cell phone has a camera.
    Kalamazoo and Washtenaw county do not allow camera use either.

I keep my iPhone in a special case that doesn't show the camera lens whenever I need to get past the gestapo

Post imported post

Macomb county courthouse does too. I have a basic tiny swiss army knife attached to my keychain, and put it through the medal detector, completely forgetting it was there. They went BALLISTIC on me. I thought I was going to get thrown out. It seriously has like a half inch blade. :quirky

Funny thing is, I was there to pick up my CPL.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Post imported post

Common sense is lost... I mean in the airport after 9-11 they were breaking the nail file off of clippers! Just plain stupid!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
    Common sense is lost... I mean in the airport after 9-11 they were breaking the nail file off of clippers! Just plain stupid!
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=opinionsbox1

Post imported post

Grand Rapids, metal detectors+ armed guards in courthouse. whole building "secure"

Post imported post

But Kent County is not "safe"; a judge was shot here by her estranged Police Officer husband. He would still be allowed to bring in his weapon under current court procedure.

When I was going through w/ my attorney one time, she showed me that they will not search nor scan her briefcase as an attorney, so really it's all just Homeland Security Drama designed to make "sheeple" feel safer.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

DrTodd wrote:
    When I was going through w/ my attorney one time, she showed me that they will not search nor scan her briefcase as an attorney, so really it's all just Homeland Security Drama designed to make "sheeple" feel safer.
    Funny you mention this...

The last time I went through the Oakland County building, I was on my way to see the County Clerk. Having been there before (they lost my paperwork the first time), I didn't think it was an issue for me to bring my phone in with me because the first time I came through nobody said anything about it.

I was making this stop in between meetings at work, so I was dressed in a full suit. I emptied my pockets (just like the last time) and walked through the metal detector (just like the last time). I noticed the deputy finagling my phone, turning it at all sorts of angles and flipping it open to observe the inside screen. I asked a simple question: "Is there a problem with my phone, officer?"

He points to a sign that says "No Camera's or Recording Devices" (something to that effect) then points to the lens on my phone and asks, "Is this a camera phone?" I answered in the affirmative. His next question was, "Are you an attorney?"

I thought it was an odd question... either you allow camera phones or you don't. I lamented that I was not an attorney... that I was just an "ordinary citizen on (his) way to refile paperwork that the City Clerk misplaced." He says, "I can't let you in with this."

I was admittedly irritated because the parking lot was mashed full of cars and the nearest spot I could find was in the very back; furthest from the door. I told him that he let me in last time with the same phone, and he said, "No... it wasn't me because I would have caught it." I'm sure he didn't recognize me, being that he probably sees several hundred people a day. But I did not forget who he was. I didn't bother arguing... I snatched up my items and headed back out the door to make the trek back to my car to put my phone away.

Before doing so, however, I pointed out that one of his fellow deputies was talking on a cell phone. "That camera's got a lens too, buddy... you might wanna tell him to put it away. And next time anyone asks, I'll just SAY I'm an attorney and avoid the issue altogether." (In fact, in hindsight, I should have admitted that I was. I am, afterall, an attorney for myself and several other persons. Anyone who speaks or conducts business on their own behalf, or on the behalf of others, is an attorney for their respective affairs. An attorney-at-law, or lawyer, for that matter, is a different subject.)

My question is simple: What power does an attorney have that we don't? Or an officer, for that matter? Is there some statistic out there that shows that they take fewer pictures than the rest of us or something? And what are folks so worried about anyway?

Yeah... a "terrorist" might come into the building and take pictures of the water fountains. Ooooooh... scary. Let's be real.... if someone wanted to recon the joint, they don't need a camera to do it. Good old fashioned paper and pen is enough to draw diagrams of hallways and what not. And if all else fails, memory works well too.

This nonsense about disallowing camera's (unless, of course, you're an attorney or a cop) is foolish. It makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside; but really provides no protection and causes hassle. One could even argue that the "terrorists" are winning when the displacement of innocent citizens FAR SURPASSES the uncovering of terrorist activities.

At the end of the day, I can't help but think the purpose for disallowing them is so that folks will not be able to gather media to be used against the municipality in the event that someone on the payroll acts a fool.

People "of the law" HATE to be videoed or photographed. They can't control it in the public domain (on the streets), so they do their best to control it within their buildings owned by the public. It's abhorrent.

Post imported post

Veritas - a little tip on the phone issue. If they have a metal detector put the phone through the metal detector with all the rest of your stuff. It wont get examined that way under normal circumstances. I was on a jury trial for 3 weeks and there are ways to avoid some of the morons at the door. Not all of those guys are bad some of them are great. Many times i just put my cell phone in my brief case which I put in the metal detector, and nothing was said about my phone again.

Mike

Post imported post

Midland County Courthouse does not allow any type of weapons either. There is a big sign on the main door before you enter. They also have deputies and the metal detector.

I can understand taking stuff out of your pockets and putting them in the little container, but taking off a belt when the metal detector goes off anyways because of metal eyelets in the shoes. I think it is a bit overboard.

Post imported post

mikestilly wrote:
    Veritas - a little tip on the phone issue. If they have a metal detector put the phone through the metal detector with all the rest of your stuff. It wont get examined that way under normal circumstances. I was on a jury trial for 3 weeks and there are ways to avoid some of the morons at the door. Not all of those guys are bad some of them are great. Many times i just put my cell phone in my brief case which I put in the metal detector, and nothing was said about my phone again.

Mike
    I appreciate the advice, but it's not option at OC. Your pockets must be completely devoid of anything metallic in order to pass through the screener... the contents of your pockets are empited into a clear tupperware bin that the deputy inspects before passing it back to you.