• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The More I Read Here...

JustinL

imported post

...the more questions I have. First, let me say this a great site. I've been reading it for a while and decided to register this morning. I haven't OC'ed yet but I've been a CC'er for a while. I keep reading great stories and learning about the law, but then my mind spirals out of control and I think of more questions. Forgive me if I missed any answers to the following:

1. Regarding the story of the fellow who had a rifle in a case on a Community Transit bus, I know that rifles have to be unloaded in a vehicle regardless of having a CPL. Does it have to be in a case, too?

2. Regarding schools, I know that a person with a CPL can have a firearm on him/her while picking up a student. Does this refer to CC only, or is OC legal in such an instance?

3. Is it federal and/or state law that prohibits firearms on college campuses, or just policies of the schools themselves? Does this refer to both OC and CC? Does it only refer to students, or to anyone?

4. Is there a specific definition of open carry? Is it okay to use my CC holster and just tuck in my shirt, so that just the upper half of my 1911 is showing?

Thanks,

Justin

compmanio365

imported post

Welcome aboard! I'll try to answer your questions best I can:

1) Don't believe you have to have them in a case, but it would be best. There was another case of a man that had his guns wrapped in a towel and that was found to be OK. All long arms definitely have to be unloaded when transported in a vehicle.

2) OC is OK when carrying to pick up a student, but I believe you are not supposed to leave your car. Hence, you would have to have a CPL anyways, as you are carrying in your car.

3) The only rules regarding firearms on college campuses apply only to students. K-12 is definitely a no-no, but colleges are not included in the RCWs. WAC codes only apply to enrolled students and there is text in there banning firearms on campus. I wouldn't expect to get away with carrying on campus as a non student though.

joeroket

imported post

To clarify the answer to number 2 and answer number 4;

2. You are only allowed to carry outside of your vehicle if you are picking up or dropping off a student but you are not allowed to enter a building. It does not specify that you must conceal but I would not advise OC'ing onto a primary or secondary school campus.

4. There is no definition in the RCW's for concealed. However the typical definition I have read is that it be clearly discernible as a firearm to the average person.

JustinL

imported post

Thanks for the input, guys. I don't plan on OC'ing onto either a college campus or a public school but I like knowing the laws anyway.

Regarding #4, are there people here who OC with an IWB holster, or do most people use some sort of OWB holster?

Thanks,
Justin

joeroket

imported post

JustinL wrote:
Thanks for the input, guys. I don't plan on OC'ing onto either a college campus or a public school but I like knowing the laws anyway.

Regarding #4, are there people here who OC with an IWB holster, or do most people use some sort of OWB holster?

Thanks,
Justin
I use a Galco 3 slot holster. I could use my IWB to OC but I rarely wear it.

Magix

imported post

From what I've seen in pictures here and what people have described. I'd say more people use OWB holsters. I use a SERPA just cause it's more comfortable to OC that way for me.

GreatWhiteLlama

imported post

JustinL wrote:

Thanks,
Justin
Welcome,

I used to use an IWB holster because it was the only one that I had. I ended up purchasing an OWB holster because a Bellevue police officer stopped me and asked if I had a CPL. His justification for doing so was because my firearm was "partially concealed".

This was obviously stretching it but I simply showed him my CPL and bought an OWB holster the next day. :)

Dave_pro2a

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
3) The only rules regarding firearms on college campuses apply only to students. K-12 is definitely a no-no, but colleges are not included in the RCWs. WAC codes only apply to enrolled students and there is text in there banning firearms on campus. I wouldn't expect to get away with carrying on campus as a non student though.

Most local colleges dissallow firearms on campus via code of conduct rules. Not sure how that jives with colleges that have shooting clubs.

I expect on campuc carry could cause a person to be expelled, but I haven't delved into the topic too deeply.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

there really is no requirement for longarms to be cased that I know of (and that was me on CT BTW) but I do it for ease of transport if nothing else. Plus there is something about walking around with an uncased rifle that tends to make people nervous.