• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro Ashland - ammo update

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Early this afternoon, they had some 9mm, .40 S&W, .38spl, .45 and some other oddball calibers. Prices were decent.

No .380's though...

Operative word: had.

Thanks for the tip.

BTW, I did not get any of the .38rimless, so if anybody wants to treck out there.....

stay safe.

skidmark

MSC 45ACP

imported post

skidmark wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Early this afternoon, they had some 9mm, .40 S&W, .38spl, .45 and some other oddball calibers. Prices were decent.

No .380's though...

Operative word: had.

Thanks for the tip.

BTW, I did not get any of the .38rimless, so if anybody wants to treck out there.....

stay safe.

skidmark
.38 rimless? Do you have a S&W Mod 52? That's the only one I know of that shoots those. I'm not an expert by any means, but I know the 52 from a few folks that use them for Centerfire portion ofa 900 or 2700National Match Course. I think they can also shoot .38 rimmed cartridges, too.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

The clown in the booth to the left of mine had no trouble finding it somewhere... He bounced at least a box (maybe 2) off my skull when he was shooting his peashooter yesterday at the range.

crazydude6030

imported post

I have heard a nasty rumor that they are going to stop making .40 S&W because of its popularity or lack of. I guess that's why I haven't seen a box of it in almost a month at the stores.

ODA 226

imported post

crazydude6030 wrote:
I have heard a nasty rumor that they are going to stop making .40 S&W because of its popularity or lack of. I guess that's why I haven't seen a box of it in almost a month at the stores.
.40 S&W is just about the ONLY caliber of pistol ammo that is regularly in stock at the Suffolk Walmart! I always see it there in large numbers!

TFred

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
crazydude6030 wrote:
.40 S&W is just about the ONLY caliber of pistol ammo that is regularly in stock at the Suffolk Walmart! I always see it there in large numbers!
Yes, this is what I have observed as well. It was the first to start showing up, and is consistently the most available at all of my local Walmart stores.

Of course, that could mean that it is not popular, since it is not immediately bought.

I don't put much stock in rumors without a published source. It would not seem to make much sense, business wise, there are a lot of .40 caliber guns out there, they aren't going to just disappear.

TFred

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I don't "buy" the rumor about .40 cal going away. It isn't so "rare" they are going to stop making the stuff. As mentioned above, there have been a LOT of .40 cal pistols sold over the years, including to many LE agencies. I've seen some boxes of high power rifle rounds on the shelf at Bass Pro that would have a LOT of dust on them if they didn't do regular dusting of the shelves. Same boxes have been there for a LONG time. .40 cal is just more popular in some areas than others.

Virginian683

imported post

Given that it seems a majority of law enforcement as well as large number of armed citizens carry .40 caliber guns, there is no way they are going to stop producing it any time soon.

Marco

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Virginian683 wrote:
Given that it seems a majority of law enforcement as well as large number of armed citizens carry .40 caliber guns, there is no way they are going to stop producing it any time soon.

+1

Inmy mind, there is no better cartridge than .40 S&Wfor self-defense.
I some what agree.
IMHO,a .40 cal is the best Defensive caliber but it isn't the 40S&W.

IanB

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I don't care what your books andcalculators say...
.45ACP still gives me a warm & fuzzy feeling inside... :cool:
45 = dead criminal (best option)
40 = wounded criminal
10 = what was your backstop? (bullet passed through criminal)
9 = pissed off criminal
380 = did someone just drop a carboard box on the floor?

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
40 = wounded criminal
9 = pissed off criminal
What we need is a good caliber debate. You know what's best. Maybe even talk about shot placement vs. caliber. There is a lack of good caliber debate on any shooting sports forum.:quirky:lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
nakedshoplifter wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:
40 = wounded criminal
9 = pissed off criminal
What we need is a good caliber debate. You know what's best. Maybe even talk about shot placement vs. caliber. There is a lack of good caliber debate on any shooting sports forum.:quirky:lol:
Actually, I find the 40 S&W's make great primers for my BFR:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Oh...Is there an ammo shortage?
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

lead.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

DSCN0023.jpg

packin_NC_79

imported post

I was in Bass Pro in Ashland a couple hours ago and noticed a sign posted that customers are limited to no more than 2 boxes per caliber of handgun ammunition. There seems to have been a run on ammo lately, but that doesn't surprise me with the current political and economic climate.