• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Knives: Open Carry

Should OC.org cover knife law?

• OC should make knife law part of the discussion.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Knife law is better discussed elsewhere.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cuandoman

imported post

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jun/24/bid-to-expand-knife-ban-doesnt-cut-it-with-critics/

Many states have knife laws that differ from their gun laws. Is the OC.org interested? It seems the anti-gun people are realizing the NRA and other gun lobby groups are winning the fight on guns, so they're expanding the fight to knives.

In Florida, we may not open carry a knife except while fishing, hunting and camping. Concealed carry of a 'weapon' is legal with permit. Concealed carry of a 'common pocket knife' is legal for anyone. The definition of common pocket knife (cpk)is left undefined, but case law has shown folding knives under 4" are typically ok.

Just remember if it's black, now you have a 'tactical' knife. Same for serraded blades or anything with decent jimping. More or less, if it's scary looking it's not a cpk.

I need to get a black coffee cup with wavy sides. Tactical coffee cup: no cream allowed!

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

Cuandoman wrote:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jun/24/bid-to-expand-knife-ban-doesnt-cut-it-with-critics/

Many states have knife laws that differ from their gun laws. Is the OC.org interested? It seems the anti-gun people are realizing the NRA and other gun lobby groups are winning the fight on guns, so they're expanding the fight to knives.

Only if the knife has a gun logo on it such as : " Smith & Wesson__ Extreme Ops " . I asked what was a good pocket knife and a member said this one with a tanto point for about $ 20.oo . It is a great companion .

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I don't think knife carry is off topic, and as far as I recall it never has been treated as such.

Tomahawk

imported post

Second Ammendment says "arms" not "firearms". That means blades as well as guns and other personal weapons, at the very least.

Banning knives is just as stupid as banning guns. Almost stupider, in some ways, since a knife is something that is actively useful in everyday life. Even if you work in an office cubicle, a pocketknife is often handy. It's like banning wristwatches or ink pens or screwdrivers (didn't they ban those in England or some US cities?). It's a tool as well as a weapon.

And as a self-defense weapon, a knife is very useful. Easy to carry, lightweight compared to most guns, and safe to carry in environments where guns really don't belong for practicle reasons, such as when dealing chemicals or whatever.

So I don't think this thread is off-topic at all.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

In light of the recent attempt by Customs to redefine most pocket knives as switchblades, and the Senate passing a bill to block that action, I think this is a prescient topic. I think it's not a bad idea to join Kniferights.org and I did to protect my ability to own and carry those arms.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think that it should be expanded to cover knives as well. Knives make a great back-up. It's kind of the same thing with CCW. I don't know how many times I see a post flaming someone talking about CCW saying that this is OPENcarry.org not CONCEALEDcarry.org They seemed to have missed rule number 2 of the Basic Rules.

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"]2) Since we are a site dedicated to open carry,firearms and gun rights, all posts should relate substantially to one of these topics, even if your comments pertain mainly to freedom andliberty.

I draw attention to the word "one." CCW does relate to firearms and gun rights imho. This meets two of the categories and only one is required.
[/font]

Alexcabbie

imported post

Let's not forget that there have been a couple cases of schoolkids getting in trouble for having a butter knife - blunt with no edge to sspeak of - at school, with all the trimmings of this idiocy: Police involvement, suspension, psychiatric evaluation etc.Make a joke about this and they take it as suggestion. :banghead:

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

These guys want to banour knives that we all love and use on a daily basis, that's just sick. We already have enough weapon laws out there, soon there going to ban all martial arts schools, and we'll just have to use whatever is around us at the time to defend ourselves from harm. There are places in Al. that ban guns, but don't ban knifes, so if they got there way, and banned knifes, then what do we carry then, a multi-tool from leather man, how bout a fork , or a branch from a very tough tree, dang it people, wake up. It starts with one right, then leads to another, I can slowly see our wonderful country turning into a Great Britain. They aren't allow firearms, and the knives they are allowed to carry are completely pointless to carry around. We already can't carry around bowie knifes,boot knifes, anything that's not a folder we can't carry here in Al. What about the rest of you guys?