• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Military Planning for Civilian H1N1 Swine Flu Outbreak CNN

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

Going to the VA tomorrow morning but I have to go disarmed . When I'm asked how you doing ... I tell them .

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/28/military.swine.flu/

Washington [ CNN ]

The U.S. Military wants to establish regional teams of military personnel to assist civilian authorities in the event of a significant outbreak of the H1N1 virus this fall , . . .

Has anyone ever heard of a similar policy ?

TFred

imported post

R a Z o R wrote:
If there is a local or national medical disaster , how will our Second Amendment rights be effected ?
Interesting indeed. After the post-Katrina gun confiscations, Congress passed a law specifically to keep that from happening again. The text of the law states:

"... while acting in support of relief from a major disaster or emergency..."

I guess the question of the day is whether or not a medical emergency such as a flu epidemic, is covered by that.

Unfortunately, the way our legal system works, the "authorities" can decide "no it isn't" and they will take your guns by force if needed, and then months later, if they happen to be held in the wrong by a court somewhere, they'll just get their hands slapped.

TFred

Carnivore

imported post

No matter who gets sick from what, that don't fly with me to come to my house and take my property!! no matter who would show up, if they ain't buyin, they ain't flyin with my stuff, besides I don't have anything for sale, if they was to offer to buy!

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

TFred wrote:

Interesting indeed. After the post-Katrina gun confiscations, Congress passed a law specifically to keep that from happening again. The text of the law states:

"... while acting in support of relief from a major disaster or emergency..."

The whole thought ofa military actionaiding in a health emergency ranges from Monty Python's " Holy Grail ", " Resident Evil " , and Dustin Huffman's " Outbreak ".

Did he say bring out your dead ?

Flyer22

imported post

As most people probablyknow, the 1918 outbreak is the standard by which all other flu epidemics are judged. The actions of this current flu are eerily similar to the early months of 1918. For those who are interested in a detailed account of that epidemic, and how it affected everyday life, one of the best accounts is The Great Influenza, by John M.Barry.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that IF this current epidemicturns out to be anywhere near as bad as 1918, the authorities will be too overwhelmed by events to try to confiscate weapons.

Huck

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
The bottom line, in my opinion, is that IF this current epidemicturns out to be anywhere near as bad as 1918, the authorities will be too overwhelmed by events to try to confiscate weapons.
Dont count on that. Even if it was as bad as the "Captain Trips" epidemic of "The Stand" fame, the Fed thugs would still take advantage of it to mess with us.

forever_frost

imported post

My wife and her mother caught H1N1 and told me it was like a weak cold. By taking that and modifying it for a 'vaccine" and relieving the companies from responsibility if things go wrong, I can only see this going badly.

Every time I'm at the VA they try to give me a shot for something. This isn't happening to me.