• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NRA age requirment for CPL course

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

A CPL instructor cited the NRA manual in this regard. It looks like generally the age is 18 or older.

Per NRA, on page3 in the Introduction of the Instructor's Course Outline and Lesson Plans is a section titled: "Who Can Take NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home Course?"

The content of that section states: (bold added for emphasis)

NRA's Basic Personal Protection in the Home course is for law-abiding adult citizens, as defined by applicable federal, state or local law. It is much more than just a routine shooting course. It is important that participants have sufficient maturity and life experience to be able to assess various situations and make mature decisions.

The NRA Basic Personal Protection series is based on the building block approach, moving from the simple to the complex. the first course in the series is the NRA Basic Pistol Course, which develops in your students the basic skills of handling, shooting and cleaning the firearm. the second course is NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home course, which builds on the skills already learned in the Basic Pistol Course.

NRA Basic Personal Protection in the Home Course participants must be experienced shooters (shooters able to show mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the firearm) to to maximize what can be learned from this course. Proof of Shooting experience can be one of the following: NRA Basic Pistol Course Certificate, NRA First Steps Course Certificate, NRA pistol competitive shooting qualification card, military DD214 with pistol qualification, or passing the Pre-Course assessment in Appendix 2."

office888

imported post

Yes, I brought it up.

I don't turn 21 until November, and at the same time, I'm interested in doing the CPL 2A/MOC class which is in September.

I need to find a way to conceal my Springfield 1911 GI on my 5'7" 140 lb 29x30 waist self! Haha.

I might just bite the bullet and invest in an XD40 Subcompact...

-Richard-

office888

imported post

Generaldet wrote:
Why not just oc?
Oh trust me, I still will more often than anything. It'll be unbelievably convenient / safer feeling to not have to disarm when entering vehicles, or when shopping at Walmart/Meijer or going to restaurants like Applebees or Blue Dolphin or Texas Coral that have a bar.

I'd just like something a little more discrete. I'm a huge automotive enthusiast, and it kinda scares off people I don't know at my local meets, but at the same time, I don't want to be unarmed.

In my eyes, OC is still > CC. But, I'd still like to keep the options open.

-Richard-

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

I agree, even though I Oc probably 80-90% of the time I CC on occasion. Having your cpl makes OC a LOT easier.

I highly encourage anyone that is looking to get their cpl to enroll in the September class that they are doing for the 2A March. It is cheap compared to the others and the money goes for a great cause. Even if you have to drive a little bit. It's worth it.