• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KC area shooting ranges

Gordie

imported post

My cousin recently bought a new Glock. She is looking for a range to break it in and become familiar with it at, without paying ridiculous range or membership fees. I am in Nv., so I can't really help her out on this one. Any suggestions would be appreciated. She is in the Olathe, Ks. area. She would not be opposed to joining a club if it was a good fit for her family.

Walleye

imported post

Unfortunately, I'm a ways out from the KC area and I hate going there when I have to. The closest place I can think of would be in Topeka, which is quite a drive from KC.

Kansasdeerslayer

imported post

The Bullet Hole is an indoor pistol range in Shawnee, KS about 10 minutes from Olathe. Good gun range and membership is only $20 a year.

JustMe

imported post

Gordie:
I received this info from a friend in the KCMO area for an outdoor range. The indoor he mentioned was the Bullet Hole.
"Therealso an outdoor range with a great shotgun setup, trap, skeet, sporting clays, 5 stand + rifle, pistol and archery"
www.powdercreek.com, 913-422-5063. Those two ought to get him started.

In west MO (Independence) there is an indoor range at Arms Mart gunstore that I think is on Truman Road by some type of power generating plant. Don't know about cost or hours.
There is also a public outdoor range called the Lake City range operated by the DNR. Rules are strict, but price is low (around $5.00/person). Hope that this info helps.

stevelvl

imported post

The best range I have found so far is the bullet hole. The member ship is 20$ and your member ship includes your first range fee. The range fee is 10$ per visit. The range is indoors well ventilated and well regulated. The range is a 50 yard range which is the norm for a pistol range. A bit of a warning they do not allow rapid fire (they want you to shoot no more then 1 round every three seconds I think) they strictly enforce that rule. And they also do not allow drawing or shooting from the hip. One other thing to note they only allow handgun calibers on there range.

Another range is Parma woods. It is an out door range operated by the state of Missouri. The range is open to all calibers but only allows ammunition with lead cores so make sure you don’t buy any of the cheep stuff like wolf. I can’t remember the exact range fee but I know it goes by the hour and there is no member ship fee. They have ranges of up to 50 yards and up to 100 yards. The range is always tended by one person who patrols back and forth looking over every one shoulder which doesn’t bother me because many times I have seen hoodrats at a range doing things which makes me cringe. The only thing I do not like about the range is that it is fixed targets which means that every 20 minutes every one has to cease fire so every one can go out and switch targets. This can be a pain if you are trying to sight in a scope. And also is a real pain when you are paying by the hour.

campfire

imported post

Therelatively newBass Pro store in Independence has an indoor range...I haven't used it yet. Looks like pay as you go, no membership fees.

Personally, I love Powder Creek for shotgunning, but I go to the Bullet Hole indoor range for pistol practice. I'm in Olathe, also, and the Bullet Hole is the closest and most convenient place I know.

K

KansasScout

imported post

The Bullet Hole is your best bet in the KC metro. There is a range in independence but from Olathe, The Bullet Hole is closer. They are good folks too. It's a good facility.

Pinhead

imported post

I usually shoot at The Bulllet Hole because it's the closest to me (Shawnee).

I'd like to know more about the outdoor range in MO, though; I need to sight in my scope on my Saiga .308. :)

K

KansasScout

imported post

As for Rifles, there is a fine outdoor range called the Lake City Rifle Range just north of Blue Springs. It's run by the Missouri Conservation Commission. Go to their website for direction and hours. They run a strict show there too. Be ready to follow the rules or get yelled at...loud.

Otherwise, its a good place. 100 yds only. There is a longer range outdoors somewhere around Desoto Ks but you must be member of the club and there is a very long waiting list. Hard to get into the club.