Thread: a little nervous!!

Post imported post

i was wanting to oc at the dem derby at the county fair,
    but now im getting a little nervous.
    i dont have my cpl, and the only place i've oced has been in the woods.
    i think i need a little pep talk, i really want to take my virgin oc walk into public!

Post imported post

you can do it
    you can do it
    you can do it
    I have faith in you!!!!:celebrate

Post imported post

OCing isn`t really anything to be nervous about if you are with A few other people with you OCing. Once you OC for the first time you wont be nervous about OC alone antmore. I OC everywhere I go becuase I dont have A CPL,Wish I did. Just get together at A OC picnic sometime and you wont be so nervous about OC anymore.

Good Luck

Post imported post

joe-robi come on over to bath we will all be ocen ther tommorow

Post imported post

Just look this over before you decide whether you can be where you're going... if that makes sense..

Code:
    750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor;
    penalty.
    Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
    (a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
    (b) A church or other house of religious worship.
    (c) A court.
    (d) A theatre.
    (e) A sports arena.
    (f) A day care center.
    (g) A hospital.
    (h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of
    1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

Post imported post

You should try it in a few stores first. Ones that don't serve alcohol like Lowes and Menards. Your first time you will be nervous. After that not so much. Know that laws and you will be fine.

Post imported post

Didn't I read sometime back a thread about firearms not being allowed in county fairgrounds. I know they are not allowed at the kalamazoo county fairgrounds.

Post imported post

drew68 wrote:
    Didn't I read sometime back a thread about firearms not being allowed in county fairgrounds. I know they are not allowed at the kalamazoo county fairgrounds.
    Why wouldn't they be? I don't remember seeing them on the prohibited list.

Post imported post

Some fairgrounds are privately owned and just leased to the county for the event. Also sometimes the fair promoter leases the county owned grounds and is given private property rights for the duration of the lease.

In the above mentioned instances private property rules would apply!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

With all of the meetings that happen these days, it really is best to start off OCing in a group. But obviously if you want to OC regularly this will end up meaning OCing by yourself all the time as many here do.

It might not be the best place to start OCing by yourself at the fair. Might be better to start off with a less populated spot where there are still some people, like a residential street in the evening or a fast food place or something.

The key is to dress decently without trying to look like a detective, and be confident and friendly looking with the way you go about walking around. Smiling and making eye contact, saying hello, being freshly shaven, these things can all go a long way to project a positive image. 97% of people who are unfamiliar with open carrying won't get concerned if you look like you're just a good guy going about your business.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Very well said Michigander!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    .....saying hello, being freshly shaven, these things can all ....
    well i dont know about that now i got a pretty bad ass fu man chu going on right now i dont know if im ready to chop it off just yet.

Post imported post

joe_robi wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    .....saying hello, being freshly shaven, these things can all ....
    well i dont know about that now i got a pretty bad ass fu man chu going on right now i dont know if im ready to chop it off just yet.
    That's ok, when I met Michigander at a OC lunch, he hadn't seen a razor in a few days :P
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Joe, I'm not that far from you. Set up an OC picnic on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and I can be there. This Saturday I'll be OCing during the "Ride For The Homeless" in Alpena. The next Saturday, Aug 8th, I plan to be at the Hillman "Victory over Japan" celebration. I'll say HI to RevDerb for ya. Lets find a weekend to have a picknic and get you over your nervousness. Go to the demo and have fun, remember, if you don't feel right doing it, hold off till you think it through.springerdave.

Post imported post

i thought about it but i dont think a picnic would get to many reviews here in hale!
    not nearly as many people as other places.
    maybe we could do an oc picnic over in tawas at the beach right across from the co. sheriff, just a thought.

Post imported post

Don't necessarily need reviews, can't eat'em anyway. I prefer formerly-live animals for consumption. Don't need to make news, just need to get rid of the jitters. Got to be a public park or some sort of ground in your area, right? If not I'll meet you half way, there is a really nice park in Rose City. Used to be a lot of pro-gun guys :shock:down there.springerdave.

Post imported post

what about the bay city state recreation area?
    they are hosting the14th annual MIDHA saginaw bay waterfowl festival,
    august 1&2 sat 10am-6pm sun-9am-4pm
    anybody interested in ocing there???
    me my father and my sister were thinking about attending.
    (and you guys dont get no ideas about my sis shes taken!)

Post imported post

The local parks are free and I'm tight as the skin on a peach. Guess that's one reason they call me a conservative.springerdave.

Post imported post

no prob im straped to.
    let me do a little checkin around and ill get back with ya.
    say we did it in rose city, when should we do it?
    i got a couple friends i rose that would prob come also, id have to check with them.

Post imported post

Michigan Department of Agriculture does have this listed in the administrative rules pertaining to STATE FAIR properties:

R 291.208 Possession of firearms or other dangerous weapons.
    Rule 8. It is unlawful for any person, except authorized peace officers and other persons authorized by law, to enter upon a fairgrounds and have in his possession any firearm, loaded or unloaded, or any other dangerous
    weapon, concealed or otherwise. A violation of this rule may result in the immediate confiscation of such firearm or other dangerous weapon by the Michigan state police, a state fair guard, or other authorized officer.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

DrTodd wrote:
    Michigan Department of Agriculture does have this listed in the administrative rules pertaining to STATE FAIR properties:

R 291.208 Possession of firearms or other dangerous weapons.
    Rule 8. It is unlawful for any person, except authorized peace officers and other persons authorized by law, to enter upon a fairgrounds and have in his possession any firearm, loaded or unloaded, or any other dangerous
    weapon, concealed or otherwise. A violation of this rule may result in the immediate confiscation of such firearm or other dangerous weapon by the Michigan state police, a state fair guard, or other authorized officer.
    That puts an interesting twist on things.

"...except authorized peace officers and other persons authorized by law..."

"Law" doesn't "authorize" OC, but it does authorize CC with a license.

Post imported post

Jblack44 wrote:
    That's ok, when I met Michigander at a OC lunch, he hadn't seen a razor in a few days :P
    I'm just saying as a general way to look presentable and not get anyone concerned that might otherwise be, having your face look like it's fresh and up kept is probably a good idea. Everyone of course looks different, and everyone knows what it takes to make themselves look good. A better way to say that would be look presentable, try not to be a smelly slob in camo pants with paint stains.

In my case, I rarely actually shave to the point of babies ass smooth, because it's another way to let people know I'm not a cop. But if it makes you look good, it's a something to consider doing.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.