• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

a little nervous!!

joe_robi

imported post

i was wanting to oc at the dem derby at the county fair,
but now im getting a little nervous.
i dont have my cpl, and the only place i've oced has been in the woods.
i think i need a little pep talk, i really want to take my virgin oc walk into public!

wally1120

imported post

OCing isn`t really anything to be nervous about if you are with A few other people with you OCing. Once you OC for the first time you wont be nervous about OC alone antmore. I OC everywhere I go becuase I dont have A CPL,Wish I did. Just get together at A OC picnic sometime and you wont be so nervous about OC anymore.

Good Luck

SQLtables

imported post

Just look this over before you decide whether you can be where you're going... if that makes sense..

Code:
750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor;
penalty.
Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
(b) A church or other house of religious worship.
(c) A court.
(d) A theatre.
(e) A sports arena.
(f) A day care center.
(g) A hospital.
(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of
1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

Smoothsounds21

imported post

You should try it in a few stores first. Ones that don't serve alcohol like Lowes and Menards. Your first time you will be nervous. After that not so much. Know that laws and you will be fine.

drew68

imported post

Didn't I read sometime back a thread about firearms not being allowed in county fairgrounds. I know they are not allowed at the kalamazoo county fairgrounds.

ghostrider

imported post

drew68 wrote:
Didn't I read sometime back a thread about firearms not being allowed in county fairgrounds. I know they are not allowed at the kalamazoo county fairgrounds.
Why wouldn't they be? I don't remember seeing them on the prohibited list.

autosurgeon

imported post

Some fairgrounds are privately owned and just leased to the county for the event. Also sometimes the fair promoter leases the county owned grounds and is given private property rights for the duration of the lease.

In the above mentioned instances private property rules would apply!

Michigander

imported post

With all of the meetings that happen these days, it really is best to start off OCing in a group. But obviously if you want to OC regularly this will end up meaning OCing by yourself all the time as many here do.

It might not be the best place to start OCing by yourself at the fair. Might be better to start off with a less populated spot where there are still some people, like a residential street in the evening or a fast food place or something.

The key is to dress decently without trying to look like a detective, and be confident and friendly looking with the way you go about walking around. Smiling and making eye contact, saying hello, being freshly shaven, these things can all go a long way to project a positive image. 97% of people who are unfamiliar with open carrying won't get concerned if you look like you're just a good guy going about your business.

joe_robi

imported post

Michigander wrote:
.....saying hello, being freshly shaven, these things can all ....
well i dont know about that now i got a pretty bad ass fu man chu going on right now i dont know if im ready to chop it off just yet.

Jblack44

imported post

joe_robi wrote:
Michigander wrote:
.....saying hello, being freshly shaven, these things can all ....
well i dont know about that now i got a pretty bad ass fu man chu going on right now i dont know if im ready to chop it off just yet.
That's ok, when I met Michigander at a OC lunch, he hadn't seen a razor in a few days :p

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

Joe, I'm not that far from you. Set up an OC picnic on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and I can be there. This Saturday I'll be OCing during the "Ride For The Homeless" in Alpena. The next Saturday, Aug 8th, I plan to be at the Hillman "Victory over Japan" celebration. I'll say HI to RevDerb for ya. Lets find a weekend to have a picknic and get you over your nervousness. Go to the demo and have fun, remember, if you don't feel right doing it, hold off till you think it through.springerdave.

joe_robi

imported post

i thought about it but i dont think a picnic would get to many reviews here in hale!
not nearly as many people as other places.
maybe we could do an oc picnic over in tawas at the beach right across from the co. sheriff, just a thought.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

Don't necessarily need reviews, can't eat'em anyway. I prefer formerly-live animals ;)for consumption. Don't need to make news, just need to get rid of the jitters. Got to be a public park or some sort of ground in your area, right? If not I'll meet you half way, there is a really nice park in Rose City. Used to be a lot of pro-gun guys :shock:down there.springerdave.

joe_robi

imported post

what about the bay city state recreation area?
they are hosting the14th annual MIDHA saginaw bay waterfowl festival,
august 1&2 sat 10am-6pm sun-9am-4pm
anybody interested in ocing there???
me my father and my sister were thinking about attending.
(and you guys dont get no ideas about my sis shes taken!)

joe_robi

imported post

no prob im straped to.
let me do a little checkin around and ill get back with ya.
say we did it in rose city, when should we do it?
i got a couple friends i rose that would prob come also, id have to check with them.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Michigan Department of Agriculture does have this listed in the administrative rules pertaining to STATE FAIR properties:

R 291.208 Possession of firearms or other dangerous weapons.
Rule 8. It is unlawful for any person, except authorized peace officers and other persons authorized by law, to enter upon a fairgrounds and have in his possession any firearm, loaded or unloaded, or any other dangerous
weapon, concealed or otherwise. A violation of this rule may result in the immediate confiscation of such firearm or other dangerous weapon by the Michigan state police, a state fair guard, or other authorized officer.