• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WVC cops

Reapster

imported post

Hello everyone, I am new to these boards, and this is an interesting story that happened to a co-worker.

She lent a vehicle to someone who works for her, and he was hit while in the vehicle so her and her boyfriend went to see if everything was ok. Her boyfriend has a CWP and always carries his gun on him. Well I guess his shirt rode up and the gun became visible and there were 3 cops, 2 were Polynesian and 1 was Mexican she didn't get any names. Well 2 of them saw it and confronted him and told him he had to cover his gun up, I am not sure how much he knows about his rights,then the cops also told him thatas a CWP holder he was required by law to tell a cop that he is armedwhen he is pulled over or at the scene ofa crime is what he called the scene of the accident. When all was said and done they people in the accident went to the hospital and my co-worker and her boyfriend followed them to make sure everyone was ok, and one of the cops followed them all the way to the hospital.

I have explored these boards a bit and I take it that it is not new in anyway that WVCPD is terrible about knowing the law or if they do know it they don't follow it, because I told her that with that permit he can OC it or CCit and the cops were out of line in that but I do know that he and his girlfriend were more worried about their car than anything.

So I am glad to have found you guys and hope to learn more about OC and I defiantly would love to do it but I want to learn as much as possible before doing it.

Bushidonate

imported post

Welcome Reapster!

If you want to learn a lot about open carry and the laws that surround it, take some time to read through the posts on this site. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience. Everyone is great about answering any questions they can. Hope to see at one of the outings soon.

edited to include this.
There is no law requiring you to conceal your fire arm. There is also no law requiring you to inform an LEO. There was a rule, but it expired, here is how is used to read. R724-4-13 Requirement to Notify Peace Officer When Stopped.
When a concealed firearm permit holder or certificate of qualification holder is stopped for questioning by a peace officer based on reasonable suspicion in accordance with Section 77-7-15 and the holder has a concealed firearm in his/her possession, the holder shall immediately advise the peace officer that he/she is a lawful holder and has a concealed firearm in his/her possession.

(thanks sgt jensen for this info from a previous thread.)

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Bushidonate wrote:

You're welcome. :D Like Bushidonatesaid above, there is no duty to conceal, or notify. Either the cop is ignorant, or trying to be a bully.

If you as a carrier are unaware of the laws as well, then this can be a pretty intimidating situation to be in.I mean, the cops are always right, aren't they? ;)

If you do know the law, try not to tell the cop that you know it, but politely dissent and ask him look up the law that mandates concealment or notification.

If he is the ignorant cop he will either look it up, or continue to beat you down with his stupidity. If he is a bully cop, chances are he will ease up when met with resistance.

And as not to appear biased, the good cops will not confront you, they understand the law and the Constitution, so meeting good cops while carrying openly is few and far between. :p

Bottom line is be prepared, and be polite. Nothing will work better for you that politeness, and a cool head. Welcome to OCDO! :celebrate

chillidogs

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Bushidonate wrote:

You're welcome. :D Like Bushidonatesaid above, there is no duty to conceal, or notify. Either the cop is ignorant, or trying to be a bully.

If you as a carrier are unaware of the laws as well, then this can be a pretty intimidating situation to be in.I mean, the cops are always right, aren't they? ;)YES THEY ARE! YOU SAID IT!

If you do know the law, try not to tell the cop that you know it, but politely dissent and ask him look up the law that mandates concealment or notification.

If he is the ignorant cop he will either look it up, or continue to beat you down with his stupidity. If he is a bully cop, chances are he will ease up when met with resistance.

And as not to appear biased, the good cops will not confront you, they understand the law and the Constitution, so meeting good cops while carrying openly is few and far between. :pWhy are you like this?
And
Bottom line is be prepared, and be polite. Nothing will work better for you that politeness, and a cool head. Welcome to OCDO! :celebrate

thx997303

imported post

Do LEO uniforms have built in awesomeness or something?

Seriously, they are human just like the rest of us.

Bushidonate

imported post

chillidogs wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
Bushidonate wrote:

If you as a carrier are unaware of the laws as well, then this can be a pretty intimidating situation to be in.I mean, the cops are always right, aren't they? ;)YES THEY ARE! YOU SAID IT!

And as not to appear biased, the good cops will not confront you, they understand the law and the Constitution, so meeting good cops while carrying openly is few and far between. :pWhy are you like this?
And
Chillidogs,
Do yourself a favor and reread SGT's post. He was just making the point that if the LEO is up to date on gun laws, they will not make an issue of you having your fire arm. I have several friends that are LEO, and they have admitted to me it is sometimes hard to keep up with law changes. This is not hard to imagine when a city cop has the city, county, state, and federal laws all covering his or her patrol area.
I got to educate one of them on open carry.
On the other side there are LEO that have a different mentality concerning open carry. It may be due to the fact that they believe the more guns on the street the more dangerous their job is. I had one tell me this. It could be that they are just anti gun. I know a retired LEO that will not touch a gun. Or it may be an issue of they see them self's as the GG (good guy) out to save the poor defenseless masses. (us) And if we are armed and capable of defending ourselves against the BG (bad guy). Then we have just taken part of their job, and their grandeur.
Don't get me wrong I do not fancy myself a LEO. I carry to be able to defend myself, my family, and my loved ones in an extreme situation. Can you say Trolley Square? But unlike Trolley Square there will not always be a off duty or on duty LEO close by to stop the BG.
Just remember that just because a LEO is "ignorant" (lacking knowledge) of a law. It does not make them Stupid. (Lacking intelligence.) There is a every real difference between the two. There are a few LEO that through their arrogance, (an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions), are apathetic ( having little or no interest or concern), for our rights to OC, CC, or even defend ourselves with our fists.
I do believe Most LEO are good people. But unfortunately it only takes one bad encounter to sour someone's opinion of them in general. But enough of my rant, for now.
As SGT said "Bottom line is be prepared, and be polite. Nothing will work better for you than politeness, and a cool head."

Edited to add this.

Even though there was an off duty officer at trolley square four people got injured and five died before the off duty officer was able to stop the shooter. (stop the shooter = shoot him.)

chillidogs

imported post

Bushidonate wrote:
chillidogs wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
Bushidonate wrote:

And
Chillidogs,
Do yourself a favor and reread SGT's post. He was just making the point that if the LEO is up to date on gun laws, they will not make an issue of you having your fire arm. I have several friends that are LEO, and they have admitted to me it is sometimes hard to keep up with law changes. This is not hard to imagine when a city cop has the city, county, state, and federal laws all covering his or her patrol area.
I got to educate one of them on open carry.
On the other side there are LEO that have a different mentality concerning open carry. It may be due to the fact that they believe the more guns on the street the more dangerous their job is. I had one tell me this. It could be that they are just anti gun. I know a retired LEO that will not touch a gun. Or it may be an issue of they see them self's as the GG (good guy) out to save the poor defenseless masses. (us) And if we are armed and capable of defending ourselves against the BG (bad guy). Then we have just taken part of their job, and their grandeur.
Don't get me wrong I do not fancy myself a LEO. I carry to be able to defend myself, my family, and my loved ones in an extreme situation. Can you say Trolley Square? But unlike Trolley Square there will not always be a off duty or on duty LEO close by to stop the BG.
Just remember that just because a LEO is "ignorant" (lacking knowledge) of a law. It does not make them Stupid. (Lacking intelligence.) There is a every real difference between the two. There are a few LEO that through their arrogance, (an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions), are apathetic ( having little or no interest or concern), for our rights to OC, CC, or even defend ourselves with our fists.
I do believe Most LEO are good people. But unfortunately it only takes one bad encounter to sour someone's opinion of them in general. But enough of my rant, for now.
As SGT said "Bottom line is be prepared, and be polite. Nothing will work better for you than politeness, and a cool head."

Edited to add this.

Even though there was an off duty officer at trolley square four people got injured and five died before the off duty officer was able to stop the shooter. (stop the shooter = shoot him.)

I have read so many of his posts that I can pretty much tell them before he writes them.

This that,,,,,yada yada yada. cops suck ....bitch bitch whine whine. I miss my daddy.

Saddly the meat of his post is lost in his hatred.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

chillidogs wrote:

To say that I hate all cops is to assume that I care for them, as hate is still an emotion. I do not hate cops, I am indifferent about them.

Just the same as I am indifferent of the millions of other people I've never met, including you chillidogs.

The opposite of hate is not love, but law. The opposite of love is indifference.

GenkiSudo

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
chillidogs wrote:

To say that I hate all cops is to assume that I care for them, as hate is still an emotion. I do not hate cops, I am indifferent about them.

Just the same as I am indifferent of the millions of other people I've never met, including you chillidogs.

The opposite of hate is not love, but law. The opposite of love is indifference.

How is the opposite of hate law? Or the opposite of love indifference?

Are you just making up definitions to fit your post? I think so :lol:

chillidogs

imported post

It does appear that Sgt is attempting to make his opinin fit to me as well.

To clarify, you appear to me to have spite and dislike for Officers of the Law.
The point I attempt to make is that the value of the opinion is overshadowed by the dislike and contempt of the posts.

Makes the point moot.

thx997303

imported post

Is this all you care about? Proving that we all hate LE?

Look, SGT Jensen and myself have both explained our positions on LE, and I for one am tired of you.

I do not hate, despise, loathe, or otherwise dislike any LEO that I have never met.

I genuinely like certain officers in a certain PD, as I have dealt with them personally.

I absolutely despise one officer in particular in one PD. And I have good reason for it too.

Also, I hate Beau Babka. Some will know who he is.

But the rest, don't know em, so no opinion.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

LovesHisXD45 wrote:
gunsfreak4791 wrote:
Agreed.

We need to stop feeding the Trolls.
We love to feed the trolls..... rat poison. :)
I tried to use some "TROLL POISON" on some rats but they wouldn't eat it.... but maybe TROLL's will eat RAT POISON!

A common ingredient in rat poisons are blood thinners. These kill the consumers of the poison by internal bleeding. This is painful and can take a while.... so wouldn't it be more human just to "SHOOT THE BLASTED TROLLS"? or would that be a waste of precious ammunition? since the rat poison was going to work anyway!

chillidogs

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Is this all you care about? Proving that we all hate LE?

Look, SGT Jensen and myself have both explained our positions on LE, and I for one am tired of you.

I do not hate, despise, loathe, or otherwise dislike any LEO that I have never met.

I genuinely like certain officers in a certain PD, as I have dealt with them personally.

I absolutely despise one officer in particular in one PD. And I have good reason for it too.

Also, I hate Beau Babka. Some will know who he is.

But the rest, don't know em, so no opinion.
Can I call whine one one and get you a whambulance? Boo Hoo.

chillidogs

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
LovesHisXD45 wrote:
gunsfreak4791 wrote:
Agreed.

We need to stop feeding the Trolls.
We love to feed the trolls..... rat poison. :)
I tried to use some "TROLL POISON" on some rats but they wouldn't eat it.... but maybe TROLL's will eat RAT POISON!

A common ingredient in rat poisons are blood thinners. These kill the consumers of the poison by internal bleeding. This is painful and can take a while.... so wouldn't it be more human just to "SHOOT THE BLASTED TROLLS"? or would that be a waste of precious ammunition? since the rat poison was going to work anyway!

so are you suggesting a shooting? perhaps you should find the real enemy first.

There are several you never think of you know.

bmeldrum

imported post

Can't we all just get along! How about we stop picking onSGT & THX, leave emalone..

"Everyone is entitled to their opinion: opinions are like butts,some are bigger than others, some are more smelly than others".