Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Why do I carry a gun?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Randolph County, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    58

    Post imported post

    This is why.

    a website you can use to demonstrate why guns are useful

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Grand County, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    249

    Post imported post

    Does this mean I'm going to be shot for illegidly wielding a cigarette as a dangerous weapon with intent?

    Joking.... nice clock. Prospective is always nice.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    500

    Post imported post

    very awesome. gotta love cold hard stats

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    Why do I want to carry? Because the victim is always wrong-- and thugs and criminals know it.

    Thugs enjoy playing a power-game over their victim, using the rational perception of superior force in order to gain power over others, by presenting the possible use of force against their victims-- while at the same time hiding behind plausible deniability to get away with it: including the claim that the victim "struck first" (and police typically respond to victims that "it's your word against theirs).
    Carrying a gun passively eliminates this threat, by eliminating the element of superior force-- pure and simple. Thugs may menace a person who's carrying, but to no effect, since the person has superior power-- which when faced with, bullies become instant cowards and crybabies.

    Likewise, criminals use force in order to commit crimes outright: this is likewise eliminated through superior force, and/or the clear presentation thereof.

    While both situations require judgment, they shift the balance of power in favor of the law-abiding individual.


  5. #5
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Because I can and its my legally protected right. There needs to be no other reason for me.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Because I can and its my legally protected right. There needs to be no other reason for me.
    There's lots of legal things you DON'T do just because you can. I see it as a matter of protecting my OTHER legal rights against real threats to them-- i.e. as an equalizer against superior forces.

    As to why I carry openly, it's because I can't get a CCW because I have PTSD.

    I have PTSD from being a victim of crimes, back when the law wouldn't allow me to carry at ALL-- and likewise my boss wouldn't let me carry on the job where the crimes ocurred.

    And now that the law has changed, the law won't allow me to get a CCW, since I have PTSD. Likewise, I don't have the resources required to challenge it in court.

    That's our government at work.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    ethernetweb wrote:
    Does this mean I'm going to be shot for illegidly wielding a cigarette as a dangerous weapon with intent?
    Or simply being alive, since the rate of suicide is higher than gun-homicide.

    P.S. Death Clock is my favorite cartoon
    [media=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_55DD4RBUIs[/media]

  8. #8
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    BradAnderson wrote:
    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Because I can and its my legally protected right. There needs to be no other reason for me.
    There's lots of legal things you DON'T do just because you can. I see it as a matter of protecting my OTHER legal rights against real threats to them-- i.e. as an equalizer against superior forces.
    ...and so? I chose to open carry because it's legal and I can...what I mean is I don't have to explain to people why I exercise a right.

    Often times when people ask I simply state because its my 2A right. I had one guy thank me. I told a neighborhood kid (about 6yrs old) when he asked me why, "because I can". His father who is a teacher came up to me and told me that his son told me what I said. I was expecting a negative reaction, he told me that he told his son that that was the perfect answer, we don't have to explain to others why we exercise our rights.

    Now if you want to, great!!! I am not downplaying anybody's reasons, we must remember that the 2A wasn't about hunting or self defense, (primarily) it was to protect us from an overreaching government.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    BradAnderson wrote:
    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    Because I can and its my legally protected right. There needs to be no other reason for me.
    There's lots of legal things you DON'T do just because you can. I see it as a matter of protecting my OTHER legal rights against real threats to them-- i.e. as an equalizer against superior forces.
    ...and so? I chose to open carry because it's legal and I can...what I mean is I don't have to explain to people why I exercise a right.
    You don't have to respond at all. But there's no point in responding that you're not going to respond, since no one asked you personally. If you hadn't answered, no one would have missed it.

    Often times when people ask I simply state because its my 2A right. I had one guy thank me. I told a neighborhood kid (about 6yrs old) when he asked me why, "because I can".

    "His father who is a teacher came up to me and told me that his son told me what I said. I was expecting a negative reaction, he told me that he told his son that that was the perfect answer, we don't have to explain to others why we exercise our rights. Now if you want to, great!!! I am not downplaying anybody's reasons, we must remember that the 2A wasn't about hunting or self defense, (primarily) it was to protect us from an overreaching government."
    "

    That's not a reason-- that's just a polite way of answering saying that it's none of his business. But no one here asked you personally.

  10. #10
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    BradAnderson wrote:
    You don't have to respond at all. But there's no point in responding that you're not going to respond, since no one asked you personally. If you hadn't answered, no one would have missed it.

    I didn't say I don't want to respond but I don't need to give them any other explanation.

    Often times when people ask I simply state because its my 2A right. I had one guy thank me. I told a neighborhood kid (about 6yrs old) when he asked me why, "because I can".

    "His father who is a teacher came up to me and told me that his son told me what I said. I was expecting a negative reaction, he told me that he told his son that that was the perfect answer, we don't have to explain to others why we exercise our rights. Now if you want to, great!!! I am not downplaying anybody's reasons, we must remember that the 2A wasn't about hunting or self defense, (primarily) it was to protect us from an overreaching government."
    "

    That's not a reason-- that's just a polite way of answering saying that it's none of his business. But no one here asked you personally.

    It is a reason, I do carry because I can. I am not asking to accept that answer or reason I don't care whether you do or not.

    And why the rude comment at the end, this is an open forum, I posted my answer to the topic question asked. Did I unintentionally insult somehow?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    15

    Post imported post

    It's not a "rude comment," it's just a fact that the question was posed generally, and not to anyone in particular. You've got your reasons for carrying (and "because I can" is NOT one of them), and if you don't wish to share them by not respondingthen no one will notice.
    It is a reason, I do carry because I can. I am not asking to accept that answer or reason I don't care whether you do or not.

    Then you'll have no problem with my observing that it's false. Legality is not a reason, it's a sanction-- NOT the same. Clearly you don't know the difference.

  12. #12
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602

    Post imported post

    Where do these FNGs come from with no hello or salutation and then try to instill themselves as experts whose opinions/words are more worthy than others?

    Many are insulting and rude, don't read or follow the rules and frequently do not show their location - state laws do vary.

    Wish that they would honor the site owners as well as the other posters here and take a softer, more productive approach. Let others get to know them first.

    Not directed at any one single person, but rather generally; however, if the shoe fits you may wear it.

    Yata hey


    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  13. #13
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    BradAnderson wrote:
    It's not a "rude comment," it's just a fact that the question was posed generally, and not to anyone in particular. You've got your reasons for carrying (and "because I can" is NOT one of them), and if you don't wish to share them by not respondingthen no one will notice.
    It is a reason, I do carry because I can. I am not asking to accept that answer or reason I don't care whether you do or not.

    Then you'll have no problem with my observing that it's false. Legality is not a reason, it's a sanction-- NOT the same. Clearly you don't know the difference.
    Say what ever you want, I disagree.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  14. #14
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    Where do these FNGs come from with no hello or salutation and then try to instill themselves as experts whose opinions/words are more worthy than others?

    Many are insulting and rude, don't read or follow the rules and frequently do not show their location - state laws do vary.

    Wish that they would honor the site owners as well as the other posters here and take a softer, more productive approach. Let others get to know them first.

    Not directed at any one single person, but rather generally; however, if the shoe fits you may wear it.

    Yata hey

    +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    I carry a gun because I can't carry a police officer, and if I could I wouldn't want to anyway.:P I trust my gun more than I trust any stranger, that includes LEOs. I would hate myself if I had to watch my best friend die because I didn't have my gun with me.

    As for open carry instead of concealed, I love all my rights including my right to privacy. I will not consent to a background check, not because I have something to hide, because it's none of the government's business.

    Lastly I carry a gun because it is my second amendment right. And, to be able to defend myself from the government, if needed.

    Chris

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kaysville, Utah, USA
    Posts
    75

    Post imported post

    I have a couple reasons and one is I never want to be a victim. Browsing the web I found a website about people youll see in hell that are violent criminals. pysih.com. Look at a couple of the violent crimes and you'll be carrying in no time. There is scum even in the best of neighborhoods and I hope tonever have an encouter with any of them.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Angelo, Texas, USA
    Posts
    301

    Post imported post

    There are many different reasons why a person would carry a firearm, and all reasons are equally valid.

    Many people say that "because its my right" or "becauseI can" are not "good enough" reasons. What do you think the founding fathers would say to that? Why dont we start applying this to freedom of speech or press?

    There is a difference between asking why a person chooses to carry, and asking a person to justify why they are carrying. If the person is legal in doing what they are doing, it shouldnt matter if its an AR-15, 1911, glock, in a thigh rig or shoulder holster, open or concealed.

    You can argue/debate tactful carry, reasonable carry, common sense all day long but that only addresses personal opinion. Legal is legal.



  18. #18
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    cbackous wrote:
    There are many different reasons why a person would carry a firearm, and all reasons are equally valid.

    Many people say that "because its my right" or "becauseI can" are not "good enough" reasons. What do you think the founding fathers would say to that? Why dont we start applying this to freedom of speech or press?

    There is a difference between asking why a person chooses to carry, and asking a person to justify why they are carrying. If the person is legal in doing what they are doing, it shouldnt matter if its an AR-15, 1911, glock, in a thigh rig or shoulder holster, open or concealed.

    You can argue/debate tactful carry, reasonable carry, common sense all day long but that only addresses personal opinion. Legal is legal.

    Are you agreeing that because I can is a good enough reason?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    San Angelo, Texas, USA
    Posts
    301

    Post imported post

    sudden valley gunner wrote:
    cbackous wrote:
    There are many different reasons why a person would carry a firearm, and all reasons are equally valid.

    Many people say that "because its my right" or "becauseI can" are not "good enough" reasons. What do you think the founding fathers would say to that? Why dont we start applying this to freedom of speech or press?

    There is a difference between asking why a person chooses to carry, and asking a person to justify why they are carrying. If the person is legal in doing what they are doing, it shouldnt matter if its an AR-15, 1911, glock, in a thigh rig or shoulder holster, open or concealed.

    You can argue/debate tactful carry, reasonable carry, common sense all day long but that only addresses personal opinion. Legal is legal.

    Are you agreeing that because I can is a good enough reason?
    Yes, i am agreeing that "because i can" is a good enough reason. What I said wasnt ment as an attack or anything like that, just comments that came to mind about the topic.

  20. #20
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    I thought so but but wanted to clarify. And I agree, when people ask I don't say it sarcastically, but when I say "because I can" often times because I say it in a nonchalant and friendly way. It opens the conversation more and often they have their misconceptions about open carry corrected.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  21. #21
    McX
    Guest

    Post imported post

    I would say you could only be charged with a crime for carrying a cigarette if it was in your left hand, and LIT.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,753

    Post imported post

    I carry a gun because it is my fundamental God given responsibility to ensure I continue to survive.

    I have allowed others to encroach upon that fundamental responsibility with "laws" that restrict where, when, and how, I am able to use my ability to continue to survive.

    I have no one to blame but myself for allowing that encroachment.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

  23. #23
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,602

    Post imported post

    Bikenut wrote:
    I carry a gun because it is my fundamental God given responsibility to ensure I continue to survive.

    I have allowed others to encroach upon that fundamental responsibility with "laws" that restrict where, when, and how, I am able to use my ability to continue to survive.

    I have no one to blame but myself for allowing that encroachment.
    Say five hail John Brownings and sin no more, my son.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Bikenut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,753

    Post imported post

    Grapeshot wrote:
    Bikenut wrote:
    I carry a gun because it is my fundamental God given responsibility to ensure I continue to survive.

    I have allowed others to encroach upon that fundamental responsibility with "laws" that restrict where, when, and how, I am able to use my ability to continue to survive.

    I have no one to blame but myself for allowing that encroachment.
    Say five hail John Brownings and sin no more, my son.

    Yata hey
    I don't care who ya are... thet's fawny raht thar!!!

    Hey yata!!!
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •