• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do I carry a gun?

BradAnderson

imported post

Why do I want to carry? Because the victim is always wrong-- and thugs and criminals know it.

Thugs enjoy playing a power-game over their victim, using the rational perception of superior force in order to gain power over others, by presenting the possible use of force against their victims-- while at the same time hiding behind plausible deniability to get away with it: including the claim that the victim "struck first" (and police typically respond to victims that "it's your word against theirs).
Carrying a gun passively eliminates this threat, by eliminating the element of superior force-- pure and simple. Thugs may menace a person who's carrying, but to no effect, since the person has superior power-- which when faced with, bullies become instant cowards and crybabies.

Likewise, criminals use force in order to commit crimes outright: this is likewise eliminated through superior force, and/or the clear presentation thereof.

While both situations require judgment, they shift the balance of power in favor of the law-abiding individual.

BradAnderson

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Because I can and its my legally protected right. There needs to be no other reason for me.
There's lots of legal things you DON'T do just because you can. I see it as a matter of protecting my OTHER legal rights against real threats to them-- i.e. as an equalizer against superior forces.

As to why I carry openly, it's because I can't get a CCW because I have PTSD.

I have PTSD from being a victim of crimes, back when the law wouldn't allow me to carry at ALL-- and likewise my boss wouldn't let me carry on the job where the crimes ocurred.

And now that the law has changed, the law won't allow me to get a CCW, since I have PTSD. Likewise, I don't have the resources required to challenge it in court.

That's our government at work.

BradAnderson

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
Does this mean I'm going to be shot for illegidly wielding a cigarette as a dangerous weapon with intent?
Or simply being alive, since the rate of suicide is higher than gun-homicide.

P.S. Death Clock is my favorite cartoon :D

sudden valley gunner

imported post

BradAnderson wrote:
Because I can and its my legally protected right. There needs to be no other reason for me.
There's lots of legal things you DON'T do just because you can. I see it as a matter of protecting my OTHER legal rights against real threats to them-- i.e. as an equalizer against superior forces.
...and so? I chose to open carry because it's legal and I can...what I mean is I don't have to explain to people why I exercise a right.

Often times when people ask I simply state because its my 2A right. I had one guy thank me. I told a neighborhood kid (about 6yrs old) when he asked me why, "because I can". His father who is a teacher came up to me and told me that his son told me what I said. I was expecting a negative reaction, he told me that he told his son that that was the perfect answer, we don't have to explain to others why we exercise our rights.

Now if you want to, great!!! I am not downplaying anybody's reasons, we must remember that the 2A wasn't about hunting or self defense, (primarily) it was to protect us from an overreaching government.

BradAnderson

imported post

BradAnderson wrote:
...and so? I chose to open carry because it's legal and I can...what I mean is I don't have to explain to people why I exercise a right.
You don't have to respond at all. But there's no point in responding that you're not going to respond, since no one asked you personally. If you hadn't answered, no one would have missed it.

Often times when people ask I simply state because its my 2A right. I had one guy thank me. I told a neighborhood kid (about 6yrs old) when he asked me why, "because I can".
"His father who is a teacher came up to me and told me that his son told me what I said. I was expecting a negative reaction, he told me that he told his son that that was the perfect answer, we don't have to explain to others why we exercise our rights. Now if you want to, great!!! I am not downplaying anybody's reasons, we must remember that the 2A wasn't about hunting or self defense, (primarily) it was to protect us from an overreaching government."
"

That's not a reason-- that's just a polite way of answering saying that it's none of his business. But no one here asked you personally.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

BradAnderson wrote:
You don't have to respond at all. But there's no point in responding that you're not going to respond, since no one asked you personally. If you hadn't answered, no one would have missed it.

I didn't say I don't want to respond but I don't need to give them any other explanation.

Often times when people ask I simply state because its my 2A right. I had one guy thank me. I told a neighborhood kid (about 6yrs old) when he asked me why, "because I can".
"His father who is a teacher came up to me and told me that his son told me what I said. I was expecting a negative reaction, he told me that he told his son that that was the perfect answer, we don't have to explain to others why we exercise our rights. Now if you want to, great!!! I am not downplaying anybody's reasons, we must remember that the 2A wasn't about hunting or self defense, (primarily) it was to protect us from an overreaching government."
"

That's not a reason-- that's just a polite way of answering saying that it's none of his business. But no one here asked you personally.

It is a reason, I do carry because I can. I am not asking to accept that answer or reason I don't care whether you do or not.

And why the rude comment at the end, this is an open forum, I posted my answer to the topic question asked. Did I unintentionally insult somehow?

BradAnderson

imported post

It's not a "rude comment," it's just a fact that the question was posed generally, and not to anyone in particular. You've got your reasons for carrying (and "because I can" is NOT one of them), and if you don't wish to share them by not respondingthen no one will notice.
It is a reason, I do carry because I can. I am not asking to accept that answer or reason I don't care whether you do or not.

Then you'll have no problem with my observing that it's false. Legality is not a reason, it's a sanction-- NOT the same. Clearly you don't know the difference.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Where do these FNGs come from with no hello or salutation and then try to instill themselves as experts whose opinions/words are more worthy than others?

Many are insulting and rude, don't read or follow the rules and frequently do not show their location - state laws do vary.

Wish that they would honor the site owners as well as the other posters here and take a softer, more productive approach. Let others get to know them first.

Not directed at any one single person, but rather generally; however, if the shoe fits you may wear it.

Yata hey

sudden valley gunner

imported post

BradAnderson wrote:
It's not a "rude comment," it's just a fact that the question was posed generally, and not to anyone in particular. You've got your reasons for carrying (and "because I can" is NOT one of them), and if you don't wish to share them by not respondingthen no one will notice.

Then you'll have no problem with my observing that it's false. Legality is not a reason, it's a sanction-- NOT the same. Clearly you don't know the difference.
Say what ever you want, I disagree.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Where do these FNGs come from with no hello or salutation and then try to instill themselves as experts whose opinions/words are more worthy than others?

Many are insulting and rude, don't read or follow the rules and frequently do not show their location - state laws do vary.

Wish that they would honor the site owners as well as the other posters here and take a softer, more productive approach. Let others get to know them first.

Not directed at any one single person, but rather generally; however, if the shoe fits you may wear it.

Yata hey
+1

Ham OCer

imported post

I carry a gun because I can't carry a police officer, and if I could I wouldn't want to anyway.:p I trust my gun more than I trust any stranger, that includes LEOs. I would hate myself if I had to watch my best friend die because I didn't have my gun with me.

As for open carry instead of concealed, I love all my rights including my right to privacy. I will not consent to a background check, not because I have something to hide, because it's none of the government's business.

Lastly I carry a gun because it is my second amendment right. And, to be able to defend myself from the government, if needed.

Chris

ichigo

imported post

I have a couple reasons and one is I never want to be a victim. Browsing the web I found a website about people youll see in hell that are violent criminals. pysih.com. Look at a couple of the violent crimes and you'll be carrying in no time. There is scum even in the best of neighborhoods and I hope tonever have an encouter with any of them.

usaf0906

imported post

There are many different reasons why a person would carry a firearm, and all reasons are equally valid.

Many people say that "because its my right" or "becauseI can" are not "good enough" reasons. What do you think the founding fathers would say to that? Why dont we start applying this to freedom of speech or press?

There is a difference between asking why a person chooses to carry, and asking a person to justify why they are carrying. If the person is legal in doing what they are doing, it shouldnt matter if its an AR-15, 1911, glock, in a thigh rig or shoulder holster, open or concealed.

You can argue/debate tactful carry, reasonable carry, common sense all day long but that only addresses personal opinion. Legal is legal.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

cbackous wrote:
There are many different reasons why a person would carry a firearm, and all reasons are equally valid.

Many people say that "because its my right" or "becauseI can" are not "good enough" reasons. What do you think the founding fathers would say to that? Why dont we start applying this to freedom of speech or press?

There is a difference between asking why a person chooses to carry, and asking a person to justify why they are carrying. If the person is legal in doing what they are doing, it shouldnt matter if its an AR-15, 1911, glock, in a thigh rig or shoulder holster, open or concealed.

You can argue/debate tactful carry, reasonable carry, common sense all day long but that only addresses personal opinion. Legal is legal.
Are you agreeing that because I can is a good enough reason?

usaf0906

imported post

cbackous wrote:

Are you agreeing that because I can is a good enough reason?

Yes, i am agreeing that "because i can" is a good enough reason. What I said wasnt ment as an attack or anything like that, just comments that came to mind about the topic.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I thought so but but wanted to clarify. And I agree, when people ask I don't say it sarcastically, but when I say "because I can" often times because I say it in a nonchalant and friendly way. It opens the conversation more and often they have their misconceptions about open carry corrected.