Thread: Open Carry Red River, New Mexico

Post imported post

My famiy and I usually travel to Red River, New Mexico yearly for vacation and would like information concerning OC in the city and on the trails in the area. I know that OC is legal in the state, but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't still be hassled by law enforcement. We usually spend some time in Taos as well.

Thanks for any info you may supply.

Post imported post

Sorry we took so long to get back to you.

Just about any small community in N.M., especially the eastern part of the state, is friendly to open carry. Go for it.

Now Taos...I'd still say do it because those artsy fartsy "liberal" types (nothing liberal about them) need an education. If I were worried about anybody hassling it would be there.

Print this Department of Public Safety page out and take it with you: http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement/ccw/ccwFaq.php

DPS certifies all law enforcement officers. They also de-certify when needed.

From the page:

Question: If I have my gun holstered in “plain view” on my belt will I be breaking the law?
    Answer: New Mexico is an Open Carry State, meaning it is legal to carry a loaded weapon as long as it is not concealed. However, it is not legal to carry any firearm in any federal building, school, state building, or licensed liquor establishment. It is the responsibility of the person carrying the firearm to be informed as to when/where carrying is prohibited.

Post imported post

Thanks for the post it answers my question.

Dave