Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Virginia woman arrested for blogging about the police

Post imported post

From The Agitator:

A Virginia woman has been arrested for blogging about the members of a local drug task force. The charge is harassment of a police officer. She apparently posted on the blog one officer’s home address, as well as photos of all members of the task force, and a photo of one officer getting into his unmarked car in front of his home.

What do you think of this woman’s arrest? Photographing, writing about, and criticizing police officers, even by name, should of course be legal. But it’s a tougher call when the officers in question work undercover. Naming them, posting their photos, posting their addresses, are all pretty clearly efforts to intimidate them, and it isn’t difficult to see how doing so not only makes it more difficult for them to do their jobs, but may well endanger their lives.

The woman says all of the information on her blog was publicly available. If that’s the case, and all she did was aggregate already available information, I’m inclined to think she shouldn’t have been arrested.
    Her blog:
    http://iheartejade.blogspot.com/

The Free-Lance Star publishes names and addresses of CHP holders and says it has a right to publish information that is publicly available, yet a Virginia woman is arrested when she does essentially the same thing -- except it's about cops, not CHP holders.

Post imported post

I don't think she is intimidating, but maybe obstruction of justice would fit.

Post imported post

Repeater wrote:
    The Free-Lance Star publishes names and addresses of CHP holders and says it has a right to publish information that is publicly available, yet a Virginia woman is arrested when she does essentially the same thing -- except it's about cops, not CHP holders.
    Come on now... Please use just a little common sense. :?

Let's compare:

Cop infiltrates a Hell's Angels Biker Gang. He spends several months working his way up the ladder to get information on the gang. If they find out he is a cop.. they will kill him!

Seeing his photo and announcing he is a cop is certain death. The person posting it knows he is undercover and the reason he is undercover is so they do not suspect he is a cop.

The gang presidentreads youhaveCC permit.... big deal! He has no interest in you.

Criminals reading you have a permit are not going to be more likely to come "get you" and steal your gun. At best.. They might break inwhile you are away. But that is true for any house.

I can follow you home from the gun show or gun store. I do not need a CC permit list.

If you are so worried people will know you have a gun... maybe you should stop OCing. I can follow you home knowing you have a gun.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Repeater wrote:

Let's compare:

Cop infiltrates a Hell's Angels Biker Gang. He spends several months working his way up the ladder to get information on the gang. If they find out he is a cop.. they will kill him!

Seeing his photo and announcing he is a cop is certain death. The person posting it knows he is undercover and the reason he is undercover is so they do not suspect he is a cop.

The gang presidentreads youhaveCC permit.... big deal! He has no interest in you.

Criminals reading you have a permit are not going to be more likely to come "get you" and steal your gun. At best.. They might break inwhile you are away. But that is true for any house.

I can follow you home from the gun show or gun store. I do not need a CC permit list.

If you are so worried people will know you have a gun... maybe you should stop OCing. I can follow you home knowing you have a gun.
    Yes let's compare.

What you posted about the police is right 1% of the time. The majority of officers park their squad car in their driveway. Photos of them and their address, while annoying, aren't a huge deal. But there are the select few who are truly undercover, and exposing their ID would get them killed.

What you posted about CHP holders is right 99% of the time. It's annoying when they post your address, but like you said if you OC people can easily follow you home if they were so inclined. But there is also the 1% of CHP holders where it is a life and death situation. Some of these people have permits because their lives are literally in danger from an abusive ex who will kill them if they find out where they live.

So I'd say the two situations are about on par. They don't truly affect 99% of the group. But the 1% that is affected, is in truly in danger.

Post imported post

Someone obviously has way too much time on her hands.

Post imported post

This is precisely why I object to "selective incorporation" of Bill of Rights principles as "substantive due process" ("substantive" and "process" are not the same kind of thing at all, it's sort of like saying "boiling ice") by way of the Fourteenth Amendment.

The way the law is right now, that person has an absolute right to speak her mind and to publish information any way she sees fit. *First amendment as funnelled through the Fourteenth. *

Before the Supreme Court started trying to subordinate the states to the U.S. by means of the due process clause, this would have been an issue of state law alone. *Congress could not have told her not to publish, but there's no reason why a state couldn't create a statute *that says something like, "thou shalt not take pictures of cops." *
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

vt357 wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Repeater wrote:

Let's compare:

Yes let's compare.

What you posted about the police is right 1% of the time. The majority of officers park their squad car in their driveway. Photos of them and their address, while annoying, aren't a huge deal. But there are the select few who are truly undercover, and exposing their ID would get them killed.

What you posted about CHP holders is right 99% of the time. It's annoying when they post your address, but like you said if you OC people can easily follow you home if they were so inclined. But there is also the 1% of CHP holders where it is a life and death situation. Some of these people have permits because their lives are literally in danger from an abusive ex who will kill them if they find out where they live.

So I'd say the two situations are about on par. They don't truly affect 99% of the group. But the 1% that is affected, is in truly in danger.
    Well said.

Post imported post

vt357 wrote:
    Yes let's compare.

Thanks for providing my success rate. Is it a unbiased scientific poll or is there a -/+ of 99% margin of error??

OK... for that 1% of CC holders that need to "hide" from an ex who is out to get them... I know many sites where you can pay to get their current information.

But let's not get side tracked..... We are talking about a girl posting photos and details on cops working undercover.

Those that post CC holder data are not trying to expose that 1% who wish to hide. There is no malicious intent.

Now don't get me wrong... I am completely against posting a CC holder list. There is no need for this to be given out.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

oh brother...
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    They might as well have signs on their backs in big red letters that read, "Hey, look at me. I am in plain clothes, but make no mistake.. I am still a cop!"

Post imported post

The Freelance Star publishes the names and addresses of CHP holders?!?! The only reason that I can think of for a newspaper to do this would be some sort of attempt to discourage people from exercising their rights. Way to go Freelance Star.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

VA Lawyer wrote:
    The Freelance Star publishes the names and addresses of CHP holders?!?! The only reason that I can think of for a newspaper to do this would be some sort of attempt to discourage people from exercising their rights. Way to go Freelance Star.
    Welcome to OCDO!!!!!

You got the motive pegged.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Police say, since most JADE officers do undercover work, posting their names, pictures, and possibly home addresses could put the officers in danger.

As opposed to their normal police duties which never poses any danger in the least.

To me the question isn't if this is right or wrong; its more a question of how did Sally Homemaker get such detailed police intel as to publicly identify an entire UC division of a local PD?

Somebody in the department had to be providing her some level of information. THAT is the person the local cops need to be focusing on.
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when youre serious and when youre being sarcastic. Abraham Lincoln

Post imported post

JADE is a joint team with members from several LE agencies, both local and state. It's not a division of a single department.

Further, she says all the information was publicly available. She could be lying, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's the truth.

~ Boyd

Post imported post

I do agree that the information shouldn't be available especially about police officers families and what not, but she shouldn't be penalized for something she found on the net. My roommate years back in the Air Force made a website about our deployment to Diego Garcia and when he did put pictures he found FROM THE INTERNET on his site. Well needless to say they were classified and the FBI snagged him while we were at work. They took him to a room and asked him a billion questions so he said lemme see a computer. They let him sit down at a computer and he showed him all the sites he went to to find them. He also showed them a site that had Top Secret B-2 Stealth Bomber schematics so they commended him for it and let him go.

I vote Not Guilty!! But also recommend a slap on the wrist for accelerating the information that didn't need to be revealed. Happy carrying!!!

Mick

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

Last year there was a lot of concern about SSN's being available from the Clerks office, online.

I talked to the owner of the Va Watchdog about publishing the social of all Hanover's officers as well as their addresses. They would have the online requirements changed quickly. It's easy enough to get ...LEGALLY.

BJ and I both agreed it was improper to publish the Deputies information. I decided not to publish any of the retaliatory information, including salaries (Yes Officers saliries are FOIA able if over ten grand).

BJ took the middle ground and published pay for the entire county but left the Deputies names blank. She also published the SSN' on record of several public servents, but not Deputies.

That prompted the General Assembly to pass a bill to prevent it. She beat them in court on appeal...so yes it is legal, but should be, used with considerable descretion.

As much fun as it is rattle a cops chain now and again, endangering his family is NOT ETHICAL or in anyone's best interest.

So yes, what this woman did was legal...but IMHO....not right.

Post imported post

Sheriff,

Good way to argue the point.

I'm actually probably in the small minority here that believes that our CHP information *should* be publically accessible. I believe that if you have a reason to hide your CHP (stalking victim, etc.) that you can select an option on your form and it'd get reviewed by the Judge along with all the other information to exempt you from public disclosure.

I believe govt should be more transparent and less. And, while I support VCDL on many, many of it's fights - I don't agree on the CHP issue.

If you draw a salary or get a check from the government - your info should be public - regardless of your 'position'.

Post imported post

I understood you all the way up until you wrote this:

Xeni wrote:
    If you draw a salary or get a check from the government - your info should be public - regardless of your 'position'.
    I don't draw a salary or get a check from the Commonwealth of Virginia. So tell me again why my name and address as a CHP-holder should be publicly available?

~ Boyd

Post imported post

TexasNative wrote:
    I understood you all the way up until you wrote this:

Xeni wrote:
    I don't draw a salary or get a check from the Commonwealth of Virginia. So tell me again why my name and address as a CHP-holder should be publicly available?

~ Boyd
    He was talking about the case the OP referenced, not the Free-Lance Star publishing CHP holder info.

Post imported post

That may be what he meant, but that's sure not what he said...until the last paragraph.

~ Boyd

Post imported post

TexasNative wrote:
    That may be what he meant, but that's sure not what he said...until the last paragraph.

~ Boyd
    Well, I guess you're right. I've had to read that post several times to conclude that perhaps the poster is just confused.

First he says "our CHP info", then he makes the non-sequitur "If you draw a salary or get a check from the government - your info should be public - regardless of your 'position'.".

While that's a sentiment I agree with, I don't see how it applies to CHP holders, whose info should be kept private even if it is not, IMO.

Post imported post

Xeni wrote:
    Sheriff,

Good way to argue the point.

I'm actually probably in the small minority here that believes that our CHP information *should* be publically accessible. I believe that if you have a reason to hide your CHP (stalking victim, etc.) that you can select an option on your form and it'd get reviewed by the Judge along with all the other information to exempt you from public disclosure.

I believe govt should be more transparent and less. And, while I support VCDL on many, many of it's fights - I don't agree on the CHP issue.

Perhaps, then you think all the info on your driver's license should be made public, as well, including your address and whether you need corrective vision? After all, what's the difference? One is a license to drive a car, another to carry a concealed handgun.

They're both documents issued by the state, and they both have your personal information on them. I guess you don't think the state has any obligation to keep your info safe.

Post imported post

Tomahawk,

The majority of that information is public and can be discovered fairly easily. As for the govt having a duty to 'protect' that information..is that akin to the duty the govt has to keep me safe and alive?

Working in the computer security field I can tell you that I don't trust the safety/security of any information I give to a government agency.

To clarify on my earlier post - I don't care that my CHP information is public and I believe it should continue to be so. In terms of the salary or other 'sensitive' information about public servents - I have no issue with that information being part of the public domain.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Xeni wrote:
    Tomahawk,

The majority of that information is public and can be discovered fairly easily.* As for the govt having a duty to 'protect' that information..is that akin to the duty the govt has to keep me safe and alive?

Working in the computer security field I can tell you that I don't trust the safety/security of any information I give to a government agency.

To clarify on my earlier post - I don't care that my CHP information is public and I believe it should continue to be so.* In terms of the salary or other 'sensitive' information about public servents - I have no issue with that information being part of the public domain.
    If I know your name and what city you live in, I can look you up by your tax records and find out how much you pay in property taxes, what your house last sold for, and (quite obviously) your home address.

Most of the time, I can get away with just a name, because google will do the rest of the legwork for me.

All of this information is freely available, many times online, too.

All she did is post it in a place visible to the officers. It's no worse than what their own hometown is doing to them, they just didn't see it there.

Are they going to charge their local City with the same?

Post imported post

Xeni wrote:
    Tomahawk,

The majority of that information is public and can be discovered fairly easily. As for the govt having a duty to 'protect' that information..is that akin to the duty the govt has to keep me safe and alive?

To clarify on my earlier post - I don't care that my CHP information is public and I believe it should continue to be so. In terms of the salary or other 'sensitive' information about public servents - I have no issue with that information being part of the public domain.
    So then your answer is "Yes, they should post all driver's license information for anyone to look at."

Just for the record, I don't like the idea of asking permission to use my car on a road I paid for, nor do I like asking permission to excercise my right to bear arms in the fashion I choose.

But as long as these maggots are making me do it, they might as well not post it on a billboard.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast