• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia woman arrested for blogging about the police

LEO 229

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Sh*t-stompers for office wear.

"Boys, it's gettin' deep in here. Send cleo home so she'll open the door on the way out, maybe the level will go down some."

The only reason it gets deep in here is because of what you spew daily. Where ever you post.. it start to stink. :lol:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
After reading the blog, I personally think it all stems from extramarital affairs she had with a few of them. A woman scorned. :D

The news and/or warrant claims she endangered a cop by publishing his home address. But these same cops had no second thoughts about releasing my full name and physical address for media publication in 1997..... while I was a sworn deputy sheriff. After using a P O Box for 25 years for safety reasons, they PUBLISHED MY ADDRESS!!!! And again in 2005. They endangered my family by doing so.

As always, in America.... double standards!

In this day and age if you want to find someone's address you can. Also someone can follow you home.

I'm a public servant and am subject to FOIA. A few years ago the local paper published a table with all state employees, towns and salaries. Nothing we could do about it. Public servants including LEO's are subject to a higher standard and a certain lose of privacy. It comes with the job.

LEO 229

imported post

Venator wrote:
In this day and age if you want to find someone's address you can. Also someone can follow you home.

I'm a public servant and am subject to FOIA. A few years ago the local paper published a table with all state employees, towns and salaries. Nothing we could do about it. Public servants including LEO's are subject to a higher standard and a certain lose of privacy. It comes with the job.
Loss in regards to his public employment.. not his private life.

You cannot FOIA his home address and phone number.

Sheriff

imported post

Venator wrote:
In this day and age if you want to find someone's address you can.
Anattorney once showed me some of the tools she had at her disposal to locate anybody, and learn anything about them. To say it was amazing is an understatement. Access to loan applications, liens, titles, utility bills. Just about anything and everything. All she needs is a name.

In reference to the beer discussion, I would rather have a beer with Gates. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Venator wrote:

Loss in regards to his public employment.. not his private life.

You cannot FOIA his home address and phone number.
That's true to a point 229, but there are records to FOI that lead to their private life. Why bother though. As s Sheriff pointed out, it's a piece of cake with the tools available to everyone.

Just ask Nitrovic.

The issue is...should this information be published, not is it legal?

At some point, we need to stuff the Michie's Jurisprudence in the toilet and start looking to our value for guidelines. It's an old idea but like using BIG BULLETS, it works.:what:

LEO 229

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
If the cops aren't doing anything wrong, what do they have to fear from a woman with a computer?

I do not think this has anything to do with revealing thing they are doing wrong.

It is more about reporting to everyone they are undercover police and compromising theirability to investigate and infiltrate criminal enterprises. I think we are all aware that some large enterprises will go to any length to stay in business. So "sending a message" by taking out a few would be possible.

How would it be for someone to tell North Koreathat 10 people at a hotel were with the CIA? That country would then know to keep an eye on them, not assist them, and perhaps.. even make them disappear.

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
That's true to a point 229, but there are records to FOI that lead to their private life. Why bother though. As s Sheriff pointed out, it's a piece of cake with the tools available to everyone.

Just ask Nitrovic.

At some point, we need to stuff the Michie's Jurisprudence in the toilet and start looking to our value for guidelines. It's an old idea but like using BIG BULLETS, it works.:what:
While this is true and you can find anyone now....

It is a little different when you go out and tell everyone that these guys are undercover cops and post their photos.

It is one thing to suspect they are cops and go dig up the dirt. But this lady put the information out and I think we all know that being undercover is so people do NOT find out your a cop.

But it seems that you can post anything if it is true... but if it compromises an ongoing police investigation.... Hmmm.... Is that not obstruction? You are essentially helping and siding with the criminals.

TexasNative

imported post

I think it's important to draw a line between what's "right" and what's legal.

I suppose it's possible that publishing this information on undercover LEOs could, in certain circumstances, be grounds for a charge of Obstruction of Justice or something like that. At least part of that consideration would have to be how "undercover" these officers are, in reality.

Based on what I've read about this so far, I wouldn't consider what she's done as being "right." But illegal? I have serious doubts about that.

~ Boyd

P.S. Tomahawk, I wouldn't want my Social Security Number published, or my salary, or similar things to that. The LEOs don't have to be doing anything wrong for them to want to keep private things private.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Just ask Nitrovic.

While this is true and you can find anyone now....

It is a little different when you go out and tell everyone that these guys are undercover cops and post their photos.

It is one thing to suspect they are cops and go dig up the dirt. But this lady put the information out and I think we all know that being undercover is so people do NOT find out your a cop.

But it seems that you can post anything if it is true... but if it compromises an ongoing police investigation.... Hmmm.... Is that not obstruction? You are essentially helping and siding with the criminals.

I wonder if Nixon said something like that.

Maybe we should just cut that part of the Constitution out because it's a jungle out there?

I might be more inclined to move over to middle ground if there was any cooperation by LE. But there's not.
What happened to the three Officers in YOUR department involved in the NC arrest? Oh yeah...It's Police business.

It's been awfully tempting to publish those results even though they aren't open for public inspection.

richardnixon.gif

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Oh Boyd, in a lot of cases your SSN is public information. It is being corrected but only because Bloggers published it, embarrassed public officials and went to court to maintain their right to publish information.

08/07/096:30 PM EDT - THE IOWA SEC. OF STATE, MIKE MAURO, HAS NOW REMOVED THE IMAGES OF CORPORATION FILINGS OFF HIS WEBSITE. THEREFORE, WE ARE BREAKING THE LINK TO HIS AND WIFE'S MORTGAGE DOCUMENT'S IMAGE WHICH HAD THEIR SSNs ON IT. SINCE HE IS TRYING TO PROTECT THOSE RECORDS, WE WILL PROTECT HIM. ACCORDING TO THE SECRETARY HIMSELF IN A TELECON A FEW MINUTES AGO, HE HAS BROKEN THE LINKS TO ALL THE RECORDS AND ADMITTED HE NEVER EVEN KNEW THERE WERE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS IN THEM. HOWEVER, HE WAS ELECTED AS SEC. OF STATE AND IT IS HIS DUTY TO KNOW WHAT HE HAS ONLINE AND WHAT IS IN THE RECORDS - LIKE SSNs. WE CANNOT GIVE HIM A "PASS" FOR IGNORANCE. SOMEONE IN HIS OFFICE SHOULD BE FIRED EVEN IF HE CAN'T BE. IT WAS SUGGESTED TO HIM TO ONLY HAVE A "SUMMARY" ONLINE LIKE THE ILLINOIS SEC. OF STATE.

BJ is a tough little lady. We've had a lot of discussions about what to put out and what not to.
Her blog is here and she went to agreat lengths to cure the SSN issue

http://www.opcva.com/watchdog/