Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police perform background check on ... Obama, are suspended

Post imported post

Cops suspended for Obama check

Two DeKalb County Officers are being investigated for allegedly performing a background check on President Barack Obama.

Officers Ryan White and C.M. Route have been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, according to DeKalb County spokeswoman Sheila Edwards. Edwards said the two patrol officers have been with the department for about two years.

The incident occurred on July 20, according to DeKalb County officials.

The United States Secret Service notified county officials that DeKalb County computer equipment was utilized to do a query on the President.

Edwards said the background check was run using a computer mounted in a patrol car.

Such behavior, said William “Miz” Miller, DeKalb Public Safety director, is not to be tolerated.

“As Public Safety Director for DeKalb County, I want everyone to know that we take these allegations very seriously,” he said in a statement. “We expect our officers to adhere to professional standards and departmental policy. Furthermore, we do not and will not condone the inappropriate use of county equipment or resources.”

The county’s Internal Affairs division is handling the official investigation.

Banned

Post imported post

Repeater wrote:

Two DeKalb County Officers are being investigated for allegedly performing a background check on President Barack Obama.

Obama has already stated in his books that he took cocaine with his male partners when he had the money .

Banned

Post imported post

Repeater wrote:

Officers Ryan White and C.M. Route have been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, according to DeKalb County spokeswoman Sheila Edwards. Edwards said the two patrol officers have been with the department for about two years.
    The reach of the Secret Service is kind scary, but we need to start limiting cops' abillity to use search functions absent an actual crime. This business of "running plates" must stop.

Post imported post

Acceptable when it's you or me. It's done all the time. Not OK when it's the Messiah.

Post imported post

Good. They shouldn't be running checks whenever they want on whoever they want.

Post imported post

Not new.. rookies have done this on stars and other famous people before.

Other people have been ran also for purposes other what is justified.

In all cases that are identified... they get the smack down.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Isn't there some recent ruling (in the last decade or two)that the police can run the license plates of a vehicle that is not suspected of a crime just to see if any warrants are out or any other interests.

The reason I ask, Is my GF was stopped by Illinos state patrol on her birthday, and he wrote her a citation for driving with an expired license on the day it was set to expire at midnight. So basically she was still legal when she was cited. I looked for info to see if that was an accepted tactic, and found that the courts say it is? It kinda tweaks my beak a little.

So why the big deal about running a background check on an elected official? Why is he so special that it is not allowed?

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    So why the big deal about running a background check on an elected official? Why is he so special that it is not allowed?
    It's a big deal because the are not supposed to be running random checks on anyone. It's just that you don't hear about it happenning when it's joe shmoe. Partly because the USSS isn't keeping track of joe.

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    Isn't there some recent ruling (in the last decade or two)that the police can run the license plates of a vehicle that is not suspected of a crime just to see if any warrants are out or any other interests.

The reason I ask, Is my GF was stopped by Illinos state patrol on her birthday, and he wrote her a citation for driving with an expired license on the day it was set to expire at midnight. So basically she was still legal when she was cited. I looked for info to see if that was an accepted tactic, and found that the courts say it is? It kinda tweaks my beak a little.

Tags belong to the DMV whileyour name does not.

But it makes no difference as long as I am running your name for criminal justice purposes.

So unless the guy suspected Obama of a crime in some way.. He should not have ran the name to get the data.

This same stuff happens at hospitals when famous people check in. Staff reading their medical details and charts. Just to be nosey.

But cops can, will, and dorun tags all the time to see if the owner is suspended or wanted and to see if the car is stolen.

Post imported post

They'll be lucky if they're only suspended. It's a crime to access NCIC except for a legitimate law enforcement purpose.

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    This story doesn't hold a light to what a Boston cop Justin Barrettjust did.

"banana eating jungle monkey!"

http://chattahbox.com/us/2009/07/30/...-monkey-email/
    Wow.

Cue the Dragnet theme: DUMB- DUMB DUMB DUMB; DUMB- DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB!

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    But cops can, will, and dorun tags all the time to see if the owner is suspended or wanted and to see if the car is stolen.
    Some cops can, will, and do run the serialnumbers on .....every gun they come across, regardless of circumstances, to see if the gun is stolen or wanted....

:P

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    LEO 229 wrote:
    Some cops can, will, and do run the serialnumbers on .....every gun they come across, regardless of circumstances, to see if the gun is stolen or wanted....

:P
    around here they even randomly stop people walking down the road and run their names to check for warrants...

Post imported post

I wonder what the results of the query were...

But then again the feds have had ample time to cleanse his record.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

hmm... so if i buy one of those $20 background checks off the internet, you think ill have the SS breaching my door by tonight:P

Post imported post

r6-rider wrote:
    hmm... so if i buy one of those $20 background checks off the internet, you think ill have the SS breaching my door by tonight:P
    Interesting question.... Private business and all....

I am going to say no.

But I really know the answer is yes. Big Brother is always watching.

McX

Post imported post

SO, I'm wondering because the article never said: Did Obama pass? Does he now CC or OC?

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Hey, his homiez does.
    Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth.

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar

Post imported post

smoking357 wrote:
    Repeater wrote:

The reach of the Secret Service is kind scary, but we need to start limiting cops' abillity to use search functions absent an actual crime. This business of "running plates" must stop.
    How about a little "transparency"?! I should be able to see if any checks where done on me. And if so, I should be able to challenge the legitimacy of the check.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Post imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
    How about a little "transparency"?! I should be able to see if any checks where done on me. And if so, I should be able to challenge the legitimacy of the check.
    Interesting thought.

But I do not think Obama is in any position or need to personallyask all the states who ran a check on him for his own information just out of curiosity.

I suspect his name is added to the list of "celebs" and other important people (a group I am going to guess you do not belong to) because there are people who are going to attempt to get informationfor evil purposes.

I suspect that if you knew the right people... you can get your name added and you can be informed when your name is checked.

But what would you do when you are told?

So you find out John Q Public ran your name. Are you going to send your agent or assistant to his house and survail him? Do a background check and threat assessment on him to see if he has ever proposed to cause you harm?

Are you that important and well known that people want to seek you out and create problems for you?

You may not be entitled to view criminal records and checks on you maintained by the state. Go ask the FBI to see your file too while you are at it.

Post imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
    Not new.. rookies have done this on stars and other famous people before.

Other people have been ran also for purposes other what is justified.

In all cases that are identified... they get the smack down.
    This. Maybe one of the few times where the smack down actually lands, too.

Post imported post

smoking357 wrote:
    This is the meat of the issue.

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar

Post imported post

This can't be the first time an officer attempted to pull up the president's file...could it?
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    smoking357 wrote:
    This is the meat of the issue.
    Actually... I do not think it is the USSS reaching into data. I suspect it is a database admin reporting the query directly to them out of concern.

They probably have reporting tools in place to kick out suspicious activity they can act on and report to the proper authorities.

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:

just another reason for staying out of Illinos when possible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast