• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police perform background check on ... Obama, are suspended

coolusername2007

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
Repeater wrote:
Cops suspended for Obama check

Two DeKalb County Officers are being investigated for allegedly performing a background check on President Barack Obama.

Officers Ryan White and C.M. Route have been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, according to DeKalb County spokeswoman Sheila Edwards. Edwards said the two patrol officers have been with the department for about two years.
The reach of the Secret Service is kind scary, but we need to start limiting cops' abillity to use search functions absent an actual crime. This business of "running plates" must stop.
How about a little "transparency"?! I should be able to see if any checks where done on me. And if so, I should be able to challenge the legitimacy of the check.

LEO 229

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
How about a little "transparency"?! I should be able to see if any checks where done on me. And if so, I should be able to challenge the legitimacy of the check.
Interesting thought.

But I do not think Obama is in any position or need to personallyask all the states who ran a check on him for his own information just out of curiosity.

I suspect his name is added to the list of "celebs" and other important people (a group I am going to guess you do not belong to) because there are people who are going to attempt to get informationfor evil purposes.

I suspect that if you knew the right people... you can get your name added and you can be informed when your name is checked.

But what would you do when you are told?

So you find out John Q Public ran your name. Are you going to send your agent or assistant to his house and survail him? Do a background check and threat assessment on him to see if he has ever proposed to cause you harm?

Are you that important and well known that people want to seek you out and create problems for you?

You may not be entitled to view criminal records and checks on you maintained by the state. Go ask the FBI to see your file too while you are at it. :lol:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Not new.. rookies have done this on stars and other famous people before.

Other people have been ran also for purposes other what is justified.

In all cases that are identified... they get the smack down.
This. Maybe one of the few times where the smack down actually lands, too. ;)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

smoking357 wrote:
The reach of the Secret Service is kind scary, but we need to start limiting cops' abillity to use search functions absent an actual crime. This business of "running plates" must stop.
This is the meat of the issue.

LEO 229

imported post

marshaul wrote:
smoking357 wrote:
This is the meat of the issue.
Actually... I do not think it is the USSS reaching into data. I suspect it is a database admin reporting the query directly to them out of concern.

They probably have reporting tools in place to kick out suspicious activity they can act on and report to the proper authorities.

stormchaser

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Isn't there some recent ruling (in the last decade or two)that the police can run the license plates of a vehicle that is not suspected of a crime just to see if any warrants are out or any other interests.

The reason I ask, Is my GF was stopped by Illinos state patrol on her birthday, and he wrote her a citation for driving with an expired license on the day it was set to expire at midnight. So basically she was still legal when she was cited. I looked for info to see if that was an accepted tactic, and found that the courts say it is? It kinda tweaks my beak a little.

So why the big deal about running a background check on an elected official? Why is he so special that it is not allowed?
just another reason for staying out of Illinos when possible

LEO 229

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Isn't there some recent ruling (in the last decade or two)that the police can run the license plates of a vehicle that is not suspected of a crime just to see if any warrants are out or any other interests.

The reason I ask, Is my GF was stopped by Illinos state patrol on her birthday, and he wrote her a citation for driving with an expired license on the day it was set to expire at midnight. So basically she was still legal when she was cited. I looked for info to see if that was an accepted tactic, and found that the courts say it is? It kinda tweaks my beak a little.

So why the big deal about running a background check on an elected official? Why is he so special that it is not allowed?

The tags belong to the state DMV. Police are allowed to run tags at random to verify they are valid. Some people steal the renewal stickers and use them to extend the duration of their tags. Some people affix tags that belong to other cars. Some people steal tags. Some people steal cars.

So the reason to run the tags has a valid use. Now the registered ownersmay be unlicensed, have an expired license, be suspected, be revoked for DWI, or even have outstanding warrants.

So there is another reason to run the tags.

Keeping in mind... there are a limited number of government employees that are permitted to do this and have access. You are not supposed to run tags of cute girls to see how much they weigh and where the live. Nor are you supposed to run tags of cars in front of the ex-girlfriend or wife's house to see who is calling on her.

So there is no legitimate reason to just run Obama's tags and name unless he is right there in front of you and you can arrest him.

The same rules would apply for a background check... Unless Obama is right in front of you buying a gun... why are you running his name?

I am sure names have been checked and they did not buy a gun... but who would know. But we know Obama is not buying a gun today or it would have been in on the news. So it is easy to conclude the check being performed is not legit.

Same thing for hospital records. There will be staff that needs access to YOUR records or the records or famous people. But there will be staff that want to take a peek and see what the actor is in the hospital and they have no legitimate reason for doing so.

So the access query is done on famous people to see who took a look that would have had no reason. They cannot do this for every patient... there are just far too many. And besides... the information on the rest of usis meaningless to the public anyway. Everyone knows Obama. Nobody knows Jane Stillwater.

LEO 229

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
The tags belong to the state DMV.
Lie.
Really... :lol:

You pay the same price each year when you renew. If you paid for the tag when you registered the vehicle.... why is the renewal price not much lower?

The price is the same because you are not paying for a tag!! You are paying for the ability to operate the vehicle on the road.

The tag proves your did so and the number can be checked to be sure your ability has not expired or been revoked.

The DMV may not ask for the tags back... sometimes they do... but the tag is still the property of the DMV.

stormchaser

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
smoking357 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Lie.

You pay the same price each year when you renew. If you paid for the tag when you registered the vehicle.... why is the renewal price not much lower?

The price is the same because you are not paying for a tag!! You are paying for the ability to operate the vehicle on the road.

The tag proves your did so and the number can be checked to be sure your ability has not expired or been revoked.

The DMV may not ask for the tags back... sometimes they do... but the tag is still the property of the DMV.

in ky. your renewal price is based on how old your car is,if you bought

a new car in 08 then every year your renewal rate lowers because your

car is worth less to day then it was back when you bought it,however when i lived in

fl.years ago my renewal rate was the same every year,because the go by

weight and not age.

LEO 229

imported post

stormchaser wrote:
in ky. your renewal price is based on how old your car is,if you bought

a new car in 08 then every year your renewal rate lowers because your

car is worth less to day then it was back when you bought it,however when i lived in

fl.years ago my renewal rate was the same every year,because the go by

weight and not age.
Understood...

In my post.. the point I was making was you do not one pricefor the tag and some other price annually for the ability to operate the tagged vehicle on the road.

You are not purchasing a tag...The tag is not for your use. It is for the state's use to identify you paid.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
smoking357 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Lie.

That is an excellent piece of authoritarian circular nothingspeak.

So, do they send you around to BBQ shacks and TGI Fridayses to yank the plates off the wall, being state property, and all?

LEO 229

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
smoking357 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Lie.

That is an excellent piece of authoritarian circular nothingspeak.

So, do they send you around to BBQ shacks and TGI Fridayses to yank the plates off the wall, being state property, and all?
I am not really sure why you are on this forum.. you are simply too stupid to understand anything. :lol:

Here is another tip for you.

That operators license in your pocket... it also property of the DMV. They may take it from you at any time. It is the same as the tags on your car.

If you are stopped by the police and you are driving privileges have been suspended.... your license it kept and returned to the DMV. You do NOT get it back. You can demand all you like buy it does not belong to you.

In regards to state tags being in so many garages and restaurants.... it does not mean they are the property of someone else. It simply means the true owner, the DMV, has no interest is asking for them to be returned.

If you do not have insurance the DMV can mark the tags inactive on the car. They send a letter demanding you return them. If you are stopped and the officer notices the inactive status, the officer will remove them and return them to the DMV.

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I am not really sure why you are on this forum.. you are simply too stupid to understand anything. :lol:
Why are you here? To repeatedly insult people day in and day out?

I have never understood why you need to insult people when engaging in a civil discussion.

Sheriff

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
This can't be the first time an officer attempted to pull up the president's file...could it?

It could be the first time a cop has leaked anincident like this to the media.

That's my best guess. :lol:

smoking357

Banned
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
In regards to state tags being in so many garages and restaurants.... it does not mean they are the property of someone else. It simply means the true owner, the DMV, has no interest is asking for them to be returned.
So if I buy an old license plate at an antique shop, can the State void the transaction or prosecute the shopkeep for fraud?

LEO 229

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
So if I buy an old license plate at an antique shop, can the State void the transaction or prosecute the shopkeep for fraud?

Why are you so fixated on tags? This has gone way beyond where it was intended.

I made my points about the tags, the validity, and necessity of cops to run them at random. Your discussion on purchase and what not contributes nothing. But this is the norm for you.

LEO 229

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
Why are you here? To repeatedly insult people day in and day out?

I have never understood why you need to insult people when engaging in a civil discussion.

Day in and out, huh? :lol:

Sorry, that is how often you bash cops here.

I am not insulting anyone... I am pointing out the obvious. You, on the other hand... insult and degrade law enforcement day in and day out.

A man that hates the job and people so much that he spent almost 3 decades doing it. Strange to stay that long in a profession you now loath.